[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The building is from 1890, 3 story building. Want to use 3 nighthawk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: NETGEAR_Nighthawk_AC1900_01.jpg (66 KB, 1109x762) Image search: [Google]
NETGEAR_Nighthawk_AC1900_01.jpg
66 KB, 1109x762
The building is from 1890, 3 story building. Want to use 3 nighthawk ac1900s and make 2 of them access points, one on the 3rd and 1st floor. About 4 desktops, one smartboard, 2 rokus, 3 cell phones, an ipad, and 3 laptops. Any further recommendations or suggestions?
>>
>>53528236
Keep in mind that 5ghz band is nice and fast but has shitty wall penetration. 2.4ghz is comfy for accessing through a wall
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>53528236
>gay men router
>>
>>53528377
Good luck streaming anything bigger than 100mb locally over wifi on 2.4ghz though
>>
Got the nighthawk at my house. Thing is overkill, but feels so good.
>>
will take that into consideration. Thanks!
>>
>>53528236

#1: Your plan sounds dumb as shit. 1 Centrally located Enterprise Access-Point should have the penetration power to cover the whole building. I've got a single ENH710EXT from Engenius that covers 4-stories (3-floors, basement) with only 1 dead spot in the basement towards the water heater in the rear of the building. It's mounted in the 2nd-floor sitting room/office, which is pretty central to the rest of the building, and that place was circa 1910 at least. Old enough that the piping was still thickwall-brass and they used some jank-ass nails in the framing.

#2: If you're really deadset on doing things your way for some dumb-ass reason, and spending far more than necessary (even though not all your devices can leverage AC1900 anyway), Install 1 normally. Run a cable to where you want the next one. Set it up without DHCP, same WiFi Settings, and plug the cable into any LAN port (leave WAN disconnected). Repeat for 3rd nighthawk.

#3: If you get a REAL router, I'd suggest getting some Wireless Mesh APs instead of this dumb idea. Ubiquity's Unifi series can do the wireless meshing, can come cheap or expensive, are controlled from controller software (Lets you see real time traffic, what APs are are the network, clients, etc), and basically you can just buy another AP if you need more coverage, or replace it with a better one as time goes. APs can automatically be adopted, as well.
>>
>>53528377
>>53528842
>>53529208

Thanks lol I appreciate ur honesty
>>
>>53529208

Also the reason I chose the nighthawk is because I can get a good deal on it
>>
>>53528816
? doesn't 2.4 ghz go up to 100 mbit?
so i could stream 100mb files easy
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.