[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is a hackintosh worth it ? i would go linux but i need real video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: open-hackintosh.jpg (80 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
open-hackintosh.jpg
80 KB, 750x500
is a hackintosh worth it ? i would go linux but i need real video editing software.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-28_00-58-15.png (58 KB, 133x263) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-28_00-58-15.png
58 KB, 133x263
>>53521565
>"i need OSX for creation software"
>not using Win7 & Sony Vegas
>>
Extremely worth it you have compatible parts.

Posted from my El Capitan hackintosh. Just got sweet sweet Magic Trackpad 2 too
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68 KB, 305x196
>>53521656
>sony vegas
>>
>>53521565
The process of building a hackintosh killed my fanboy homo-love of Apple and made me a vehement hater towards their products
>>
>>53521656
Premiere>>>>>Vegas
>>
Do it if you want to. It's just fucking software.
Or you can use any other UNIX OS, though i don't know how the software is supported.
>>
>>53522177
so once you've built a compatible computer how much hassle is it to install? Is it comparable to installing linux?
>>
>>53522683
Not really comparable, linux is actually much easier. here's the "offical" guide to install mac os x http://www.tonymacx86.com/
>>
>>53521565
I've got one. Adobe Premier performs better under Windows.

Unless you need FCPX stick to Windows + Premier/Avid/Vegas
>>
>>53522729
>http://www.tonymacx86.com/
thanks. people always go on about selecting the right hardware but it seems you just need to pick the right mobo and an intel cpu. How is that complicated?
>>
there is literally no reason to do so

just dual boot windows
>>
>>53521565
Get compatible parts and withs 100% worth it, even in the long run, with right parts its 3 times the price and almost vanilla.
>>
>>53521565
> Build a PC with an Intel CPU, a relatively normal/popular mobo, and an NVIDIA GPU
> Using another Mac, or an OS X Virtual Machine, download OS X and use a tool like UniBeast or Clover to make a special, bootable version of OS X
> Boot from USB into the OS X installer
> Use the Disk Utility (within the Installer) to format your HDD/SSD/whatever to "Mac OS, Extended, Journaled"
> Install
> ???
> Profit
>>
>>53522787
did you mean one third of the price?
>>
>hackintosh
>real video editing software
You should be looking for non meme software.
Have a look at Davinci Resolve.
>>
>>53521565
don't fucking listen to erwin

hes fucking your girlfriend
>>
Let's see:

-Much cheaper
-If you have compatible hardware you will have no issues with stability
-It's a middle ground between both Windows and Linux
-Doesn't take much of a performance hit, unless you want specifically games that is
-Better font rendering and whatever jazz you would need from the real thing

Even if you were to dislike it afterwards, the right hardware compatible with will be worth it whether you put Windows or hackintosh on it though. An intel processor and if you don't want way too many headaches, be sure to grab an AMD GPU.
>>
>>53522771
maybe he doesn't have $5000 for a shiny new mac
>>
>>53522745
I bought a mediocre PC for cheap last year:
i5 4460
8gb of RAM
280x
H81-PLUS ASUS mobo

And without knowing it, this is pretty much all compatible with hackintosh. The multibeast tool which was updated recently deals with sound not working and such by installing them extra drivers, so there you go.
>>
>>53521565
>real video editing software for linux
what is Lightworks?
imo comparable to adobe products

you dont need highly professional hard-/software bundles like avid for your vacation videos.
>>
Are we really still pretending great video editing software isn't made for Windows?
>>
File: 1457729628692.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457729628692.jpg
238 KB, 1920x1080
>>53523127
The NSA's screencap software doesn't count.
>>
>>53523044

even if he did, you don't need a mac to edit video

you could get a far more powerful PC and some sluts to blow you while you work and still have some of that 5000 left
>>
>>53523127
No, The point is not using windows at all
>>
>>53522177
I would buy a magic trackpad but man, that's a fuckton of money for something that's still going to require me to keep my mouse around for graphic design.
>>
File: 1436867089836.jpg (907 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1436867089836.jpg
907 KB, 2448x3264
>>53521565
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53521656
windows is literally the worst thing you can use for anything
>>
>>53523195
In favor of a buggy, unstable mess that a hackintosh gives you right?
>>
>>53523344
What unstable mess? Have you tried hackintosh in the last 4-5 years?

I've been running el capitan for long enough that I would only have problems with the setup. Once I got it working after a single day everything just fucking works like it's supposed to.

Of course I can understand if you're using an AMD processor and one of those weird Niresh bullshit versions. Get yourself an actual processor instead whether or not you use hackintosh.
>>
>>53523195
If that's the case, I would say no, Hackintosh is definitely not worth it.

There's just a lot of shit that doesn't work or halfway works that no one will warn you about beforehand, and all hardcore hackintosh fans will immediately dismiss at "trivial" or "not needed."

The problem with that thinking is that,
A) It's fucking retarded.
B) Classic reality distortion denial.

For instance, how many hackintosh people do you know actually got Facetime/iMessage/Continuity to work? You should really ask. Chances are, almost none. And if they did, it was a bitch to do, and if it still works, it could suddenly not work at any moment Apple decides to tweak something and patch.

How many Hackinosh people do you know got video downloaded from iTunes working? I already know this answer. Exactly zero. It doesn't work, period. Unless you have an Ivybridge or older platform, it just won't work. No one is really working on it. It has to do with encryption and secure boot (or in the case of hackintoshes, lack thereof).

So these little things and services start adding up and soon you'll find that you have a really pretty looking facebook machine. You can find alternatives to everything, but at the end of the day, if you're replacing all the apps and services that Apple is popular/famous for, why the fuck are you using OSX in the first place?

So no, it's not just about picking the right hardware.
>>
>>53523426
>Start adding up

That's where it stops senpai. Why wouldn't you watch videos with anything other than iTunes though? It's a good system by itself but some of its included software has better replacements.

You want that shit to work too? You could with most gigabyte motherboards. Just flash ozmosis and that's about it.
>>
>>53521565
If you're looking for a UNIX system specifically then I guess mac or hackintosh is what you're looking for.
Davinci has had PC releases for a long time now, and final cut pro has been shit for years.
>>
>>53523010
Some Nvidia GPUs are supported oob too.
>>
Hackintosh si great as long as you have supported hardware. I have an Intel nuc and a hp elite 8000, it was pretty easy to set up, cheap and it just werks like a mac.
If you like OSX that's a good move, if not stay with Windows or Linux.
>>
>>53521565
Davinci and Lightworks are both native on Linux and pretty good.
>>
>>53521565
There's never any reason to use OSX
>>
>>53521656
>Sony Vegas
>>
File: 1450565553976.jpg (107 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1450565553976.jpg
107 KB, 768x1024
Don't updates break errthing for hackintoshes?
>>
>>53524598
They -can-, but usually they don't. You can directly update but of course it's not 100% safe.
>>
I've got i7 3770 and ASUS Z77-A. Will them allow me to become gay?
>>
>>53524745
Yes

Which GPU and Sound card though
>>
>>53521565
It's more trouble than it's worth, anon. I got my old Core2 rig running Yosemite and it was fun to horse around with, but I couldn't update it at all.

Speaking of which, what's a better rig for running osx on the cheap? Would a sandy bridge i3 do?
>>
>>53524658
that's literary the only thing that has dissuaded me into building a hackintosh computer, that and its not really advisable to use as a primary everyday computer
>>
>>53524818
GTX 980 and integrated sound
>>
>>53524887
Check on tonymacx86 for the GPU since some nvidia cards might give a little bit of trouble
>>
>>53524336
friend, what's your nuc ?
>>
>>53524944
Ok thanx. Can it be installed alongside some linux distros on separate GPT partition or does it require whole disk?
>>
>>53521565
use a virtual machine and GPU passthrough
>>
>>53524988
ugh fuck off...
>>
anyone installed on a t410 ?
i5 520m,8gb,ssd should run fine ?
>>
why bother with osx when you can just use windows 10 and have a comfy experience
>>
>>53524965
NUC DC3217BY
>>
>>53525223
POO
>>
>>53521565
dear god no
only use mac os if you have a mac
it is not a good operating system by itself, it's the package that makes it not shitty
>>
>>53525387
just collecting my payment
>>
It's an OS, only you can answer if it's worth it. If OSX has software that isn't available on anything else, and you really really want that specific software, then wouldn't it be worth it to you?

I've personally done OSX on my PC and to me it wasn't worth it. The actual process of setting it up wasn't too difficult. Apple does try to lock you out of iMessage, though. Working around that requires a real Mac, it has something to do with copying in some BIOS serial number or some shit. Other than that, I don't really particularly like OSX and I ended up going back to Debian.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (66 KB, 212x212) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
66 KB, 212x212
>>53521656
>people like things other than what I like
>WHAT DUMBASSES LOl!1!!!1
>>
>>53525300
ty
>>
>>53522630
Literally all you need is the right motherboard
>>
>>53525668
I did have the right motherboard and got it working just fine. OSX was just a gigantic piece of turd and everything just werked better with Windows 7
>>
are there any windows laptops that have more or less compatible hardware
>>
Where/What is the best place/iOS to download?
>>
File: 1445748768313.gif (454 KB, 300x185) Image search: [Google]
1445748768313.gif
454 KB, 300x185
>>53523338
>>
>>53525716
>OSX was just a gigantic piece of turd and everything just werked better with Windows 7
Just calm down, Ballmer.
Look! A basketball!
>>
>>53521565
What about a VM with GPU passtrough?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.