[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Amd vs Nvidia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1455275349659.jpg (325 KB, 850x1132) Image search: [Google]
1455275349659.jpg
325 KB, 850x1132
I'm pretty stumped on what graphics card to get. Whenever I look through forums it's either Amd is superior or Nvidia is superior but I never find anyone listing why. Which one is actually better and why?

Pic unrelated.
>>
amd if u care about prices
nvidia if you dont
>>
>>53519776
I care about what's cheaper but still a pretty good performer. But cash is not an issue I generally like to have my computer last for awhile and with prices thrown out the window what's the pros and cons of each amd and its counterpart nvidia card?
>>
File: 1450291885812.jpg (19 KB, 440x695) Image search: [Google]
1450291885812.jpg
19 KB, 440x695
>>53519740

nvidia if you're a person
amd if you're some type of subhuman pygmy
>>
>>53519794
check some reviews out. forums tend to have biased opinions depending on its culture
>>
File: 200px-Capitalist1.jpg (14 KB, 200x201) Image search: [Google]
200px-Capitalist1.jpg
14 KB, 200x201
>>53519740
I get AMD. Not because they've got better high-end cards, but because I'm a capitalist schlub who enjoys promoting competition whenever I can.
>>
>>53519740

There's no reason not to go AMD if you aren't buying a high end card. Sure the drivers can be an issue but the Price/performance more than makes up for it. The "they use to much power" argument is a meme
>>
>>53519807
I checked reviews on amazon and external sites relating to newegg, bestbuy, and amazon and it was generally unhelpful. It was either "this thing rocks" or "can play (list of games).

I want to know whcih one lasts longer depending on how hot or warm it is. compatibility compared to high end games or as far as indie games and the operating system I use (windows 7) and smaller things like how quit they can be or how loud.
>>
>>53519816

You're subverting Capitalism.
>>
>>53519740
AMD are better at every price point below the 980 Ti, so if you can't afford one of those, the choice is obvious.
>>
>>53519825
Amd sounds more promising. I like price for performance but I would like to know if they last long and the compatibility for future games won't be an issue. I tend to not update my pc usually when a part dies i update to a better one. Just recently updated from a pentium to a i3 and i have an 15 laying around if I ever need it.
>>
>>53519794
Well the long term support seems to be better with amd. I read that nvidia has the tendency to kick out it's products out of the driver support sooner than amd.
Also this >>53519816
>>
>>53519841
i mean professional hardware reviews not from average customers that heard that it has more cores so they bought it
>>
>>53519844
Explain. I encourage competition in an attempt to delay monopolization. Are monopolies the inescapable end-game of Capitalism?
>>
>>53519864
>I would like to know if they last long
amd releases improved drivers for old cards (longer than nvidia does), so amd cards will usually "age better".
>>
>>53519885
That's good to know

>>53519890
Know any good sites that would have some?

>>53519900
Do they age good under stress? I'm not usually one to stress cards but it would be nice to know.
>>
>>53519864
AMD cards run better on DX12. As far as longevity goes, it's difficult to test because most newer AAA titles require relatively new GPUs. Most people upgrade them before the end of their life span because of this.

Keep in mind if I bought a Fury X and only played runescape it'd probably last longer than if played Shadow of Mordor on three monitors.
>>
>>53519955
>Know any good sites that would have some?
not really. im not interested all that much in technology
>>
If you want to run Linux on this comp, do NOT buy AMD. That may change later, but for now it's a no-go.
>>
>>53519955
>>53519955
Fyi i had a crossfire of hd5850 until last december since 2010 and i cozld play nearly every game at a high level of graphics (maxed kut i mean by that), until the new generation of games asked for more then 1gb of VRAM, but in those cases you can drop the texture details option and leave evrything else pretty much at max. My limit was GTA 5 and Witcher 3.
>>
>>53519968
Don't most AAA devs just say to get a high end card so they won't bother with too much optimization? Heard that on a post a few hours ago don't know whether it's true or not. But I would think that it is since I can play games like bf4 without much issue without a gpu.
>>
>>53520014
I do have linux installed on a 8tb hdd. It holds movies, tv shows, music and such. Will it be much of an effect on the os even if I don't game on it?
>>
>>53520014
i tried ubuntu on my APU desktop and it worked fine. csgo ran as well as on wtriews
>>
>>53519740
The drivers meme argument it's just that, a meme. AMD drivers are getting better and better drivers adn Nvidia ones had been buggy since 2 or 3 years ago. So they are the same in my book (but i never had a problem with ATI/AMD cards when i used them).

Nvidia is turning into a nazi regime with every year that passes. Fucking not only their competition, but their past generations of cards (something that shouldn't matter if you're the person that upgrades every year). As an current Nvidia user, i think AMD is better right now, i value the ideology of the company and their open source stuff their are doing apeals to me.

Just buy the best you can with the money you have.
>>
>>53520122
>wtriews
what? i meant windows
>>
>>53519740
Depends on what your looking for -

Power:Performance - nvidia
Price:Performance - AMD
>>
>>53520124
I have to add that sometimes, AMD cards have problems with new releases of games. Sometimes thanks to Nvidia Gameworks or just for simple incompativilkities, but they usually fix everything after some weeks or even days.

I don't like to play new releases (i like to wait for patches and mods), so this couldn't be a problem with me.
>>
>>53520124
>The drivers meme argument it's just that, a meme. AMD drivers are getting better and better drivers
I've been reading this since well before AMD bought out ATi.

Which means no, AMD drivers aren't magically good. They're just as mediocre as ATi's were 10+ years ago.

They work, but I wouldn't call them good.

The drivers for my mouse, that's a good driver. The drivers for my wifi card, even that's a good driver.

Video cards, not so much.

Most annoying thing currently for me (aside from the noise) is this weird screen corruption thing, where the output gets screwed up as if the connection went bad. Solution on every forum? Unplug/replug cable or turn monitor off and on. It's a known bug and has nothing to do with the actual monitor or cable (I've tested with multiple monitors and cables of course).

Again, this doesn't happen to everyone, and to the people who it doesn't happen to or happens infrequently enough will go on and on and on and on about how great AMD drivers are, when again, I've been hearing this shit with AMD or ATi for way past a decade, pretty close to two decades now actually.
>>
>>53520233
Yeah, both are brands aren't perfect. I have been having some anoying driver problems since september for my gtx 760 and i can't even downgrade to the last stable release, since every time i do it, i get a bsod. Sometimes is just luck i guess.
>>
>>53520014
nVidia breaks just a much on Linux and gaming performance in general sucks.

But if OP doesn't want to game on linux, he's in for the best time with AMD since RadeonSI is only bettered (in some cases) by Intel's driver.
>And Intel doesn't support Gallium3D so they automatically go into the suck pool.

don't be fooled by idiot nvidia parrots anon, AMD is fine on Linux, just don't expect the same level of performance as windows for OpenGL or DX10/11 through wine.
>But you can exceed Windows performance with RadeonSI+winetricks+galliumnine
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.