[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >few days ago see post on Facebook about peoples
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1457845993708.jpg (21 KB, 484x382) Image search: [Google]
1457845993708.jpg
21 KB, 484x382
>be me
>few days ago see post on Facebook about peoples PC's automatically updated to Windows 10 with no warning
>ignore it cuz probs wont happen to me
>20 mins ago
>surfing web
>browser closes, screen goes black
>screen comes back on
>Now configuring updates for Windows 10, don't turn off PC
>wat
>turn off pc
>still windows 7 thank god

So thats annoying. Why does Microsoft want me to take Windows 10 so much? What is their endgame /g/?
>>
File: 1434929267080.gif (535 KB, 640x636) Image search: [Google]
1434929267080.gif
535 KB, 640x636
>>53519134
>/g/ tells Winbabbies about the botnet
>winbabbies respond: tinfoil, autist, yaddayadda
>suddenly they start asking questions

Why should any of us answer you now? Lurk more. Also install gentoo.
>>
>>53519219
am new here im from /pol/ nigger
>>
>>53519260
Than you better listen up you Trump-voting stupid shitstain. Snowden is the hero the US never deserved. Go and watch his interviews. After, read the /g/ wiki and lurk.
>>
File: IMG_20160316_134704.jpg (38 KB, 505x183) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_134704.jpg
38 KB, 505x183
>inb4 system32
>>
>>53519338
>implying /pol/ can read
>>
>>53519338
Don't worry I'm haven't converted fully to a /pol/ shit stain yet. I'm still fairly libertarian.
>>
>>53519134
>Why does Microsoft want me to take Windows 10 so much? What is their endgame /g/?

Their endgame is not having to support 20 year old versions of windows because people refuse to upgrade
>>
>>53519393
Then have the balls to come out and say it. "We no longer provide support for your version of Windows." There.
>>
>>53519134
> What is their endgame /g/?

To make money collecting and selling your private information to the highest bidder, or using it to target ads to you.

Microsoft knows that charging money for an OS is an old, busted business model. China pirates Windows like crazy. All Microsoft's biggest competitors give their software away for free. The handwriting has been on the wall for a long time: the era of charging $$$ for widely-distributed proprietary software is slowly, gradually, coming to an end over the next decade.

All the major players who still make money from selling software (Microsoft, Oracle, etc.) are seen as "old school", and all the hot new companies (Google, Facebook, etc.) make zero revenues from selling software. The new model is replacing the old. Microsoft's endgame is to transition to the new model.
>>
>>53519134
>Why does Microsoft want me to take Windows 10 so much?

>microsoft account
>app store
>advertising ID
>edge

Microsoft wants to get in on the walled garden game that Apple got going and the data mining game that Google has going on. They tried with W8 but people aren't as dumb as they expected and didn't want that shit. So instead of backpaddling and giving us the OS that we want they step up the marketing and try to force things this time. And it shows in their products too. Not respecting user wishes and restricting their options is what all of W10's major changes are about.
>>
>>53519425
They do, and there's still millions of people on unsupported versions of windows. Some would say that's not their problem, but it also results in people having a bad experience and then complaining about windows because of it.
>>
>>53519393
>Their endgame is not having to support 20 year old versions of windows because people refuse to upgrade
Some people don't give a fuck about support since they only use Windows for gayman and have it sandbox from Internet except for gayman.
So, meh.
>>
>>53519455
Good way to get compromised, there's half a dozen new remote code exploits every patch Tuesday that you'll never get the patches for.

Connecting windows XP to the internet is just straight up dangerous these days.
>>
>>53519134
This literally didn't happen.
>>
>>53519462
I don't use Windows XP, only Windows 7.
And no, unless you can explain how i can be compromised from only a video game being connected and nothing else,
i'd call bullshit.
>>
>>53519462
If it's sandboxed and used for games, what does it matter?

I have a Windows 8.1 partition filled with games and viruses and sleep well at night.
>>
>>53519134
how it feels using outdated browser anon kun?
>>
File: microsoft memo.jpg (54 KB, 927x400) Image search: [Google]
microsoft memo.jpg
54 KB, 927x400
>>53519429
>The handwriting has been on the wall for a long time
>handwriting
>not Comic Sans
>>
>>53519471
>And no, unless you can explain how i can be compromised from only a video game being connected and nothing else,

Win 7 is still supported, but there are many exploits available for XP that require nothing more than being connected to the internet, some of which are unpatched and will never be patched.

You're welcome to have a look yourself https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-739/opec-1/Microsoft-Windows-Xp.html

>>53519474
Not sure why you would willingly leave viruses on your shit, your computer could be part of an actual botnet.
>>
>>53519134
>Why does Microsoft want me to take Windows 10 so much?
So they can sell your information. It also helps the NSA.
>>
>>53519534
I came here so that I could post this
>>
>>53519534
_NSAKEY has been in every version of windows since XP, they don't need you on Win 10
>>
Now I'm worried. OP did you turn on windows updates? What actually triggers the win10 """upgrade"""?
>>
>be me
Literally fuck off
>>
>>53519438
If they make the new version so shitty it's their fault.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.