[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What file compressor is the best for shrinking large amounts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
What file compressor is the best for shrinking large amounts of data (i.e dozens of gigs).

I've seen game repacks that can get 30 gig games down to half that size without cutting out anything, but they take an extremely long time to decompress. I've tried to find out what tool they use, might be freearc but I'm not sure?
>>
>>53518237
WinraR
>>
>>53518237
xzutils, utilizing improved lzma2.
>>
File: tmp_20069-39cNaux-260162613.jpg (41 KB, 302x604) Image search: [Google]
tmp_20069-39cNaux-260162613.jpg
41 KB, 302x604
Depends on the data. Text typically compresses very easily while sound and video do not and images depend on file type but compress pretty decently. Then of course the compression type and intensity matter. I would suggest compressing a chunk of your data with different programs and see which works best
>>
It all depends on what you're trying to compress. If you're compressing video, it won't work very well at all since modern digital video formats compress into high entropy data.

If you're compressing text you'll be great using practically anything.

More info about the use case?
>>
>>53520663
>>53520848

This is true, but I have gotten lzma to compress movies, game isos, etc on average around 40%. It is quite an amazing little standard.

Trouble is, while it has super fast decompression, it has ridiculously slow compression.
>>
>>53521697
I think that's probably what I need then. I'm not compressing anything specific at this point, probably just hard disk backups and random stuff like that.
>>
>>53518237
OP, you really have to give us more info than that. It's a trade-off between de/compression time and compression ratio.

If you want blazing fast but comparatively poor compression, use LZ4.

If you want something slow but offering stronger compression, use something like xz

If you're willing to wait a few days but want the best compression ratios possible, use something in the paq8 family.
>>
>>53522179
For hard disk backups I just use lz4 because everything else is too slow. (I actually use LZO compression in my filesystem as well)

>>53521697
>but I have gotten lzma to compress movies
The fuck, what codec?
>>
>>53522215
not bothered about the decompression time.
>>
>>53522381
Then use paq8l (or some more modern variant, depending on what you can find in your packages).
>>
>>53518237
Lrzip is king
>>
>>53518237
7zip

/thread
>>
>>53522237
Oh, I just mean for movies I archive. I encode in h264 in matroska container, then compress the entire container with xz. It decompresses fast enough to not be a huge bother if I want to watch the movie.
>>
>>53523548
7zip is shitty outdated xz.
>>
>>53525266
provided you don't need to seek, you could stream the xz version directly

% xz -cd show.mkv.xz | mpv -
Playing: -
[file] Reading from stdin...
(+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264)
(+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=und (*) (aac)
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
Using hardware decoding (vdpau).
VO: [opengl-hq] 1920x960 vdpau
>>
>>53518237
pi compression
>>
>>53525291
no its not, faggot.

its constantly in development.

i bet you still have the old 9.20 version
>>
>>53521697
damn nigga, you watching some WMV? I never see compression like that on video
>>
>>53518237
>Linux TAR/Gzip/Zip Master race
>>
>>53526263
tar isn't a compression format
>>
>>53525266
I find it ridiculously hard to believe that x264's output contains >40% redundancy recognizable by xz.

Got an example?
>>
>>53527611
Yeah I double checked, I don't get a ton of savings on movies (I still get some). It tends to be game isos/ROMs where I get the most savings it looks like (and appears to be where I remember the 40% figure from).

My bad.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.