[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He makes some excellent points in this video. Why haven
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: 2016-03-16-042219_839x418_scrot.png (318 KB, 839x418) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-16-042219_839x418_scrot.png
318 KB, 839x418
He makes some excellent points in this video.

Why haven't you made the switch yet /g/? What are you, gay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD6nqQrJx78
>>
File: awoo.jpg (75 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
awoo.jpg
75 KB, 700x520
>>53517251
Is that discount Matthew McConaughey
>>
>>53517251
I'll switch when I can run apps listed below natively at the same performance as on Windows:
Photoshop CC
After Effects CC
Illustrator CC
Vegas 13
3DS MAX
nVidia Share
>>
>>53517296
Run them in Wine
>>
no ableton live
>>
File: fantastic.jpg (7 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
fantastic.jpg
7 KB, 320x180
>>53517306
>Run them in WINE
>After Effects CC literally blows up your computer if you do
>>
>>53517306
>natively at the same performance as on Windows
>>
>>53517323
Yep, run it in Wine.
>>
>>53517251
As soon as my gaymes can be played.
>>
>>53517385
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1416871634027.jpg (57 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1416871634027.jpg
57 KB, 640x640
>>53517365
>>
>>53517296
This.

>inb4 use wine
true meme masters answer.
>>
>>53517365
>natively
>>
>>53517477
Why do you have to run it natively?
>>
>>53517506
Why do I have to run it with 3rd party shit?

Also lets not forget:
>at the same performance as on Windows
>>
>>53517521
What makes you think it won't run at the same or similar performance? Also lets not forget, Wine Is Not an Emulator.
>>
File: nod.gif (703 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
nod.gif
703 KB, 400x280
>>53517251
I'm considering installing Linux on a Thinkpad my mother gave me. What distro should I get? I need something easy enough that can be great for multimedia and freedom respecting, I've only used Linux about twice in my whole life
>>
>>53517271
Haha. oh my sides anon - I just opened pc.
I sense it's going to be a good day.
>>
When do we get powershell in linux?
>>
>>53517567
booboongtoo
>>
>>53517296
LInux is for developers, having optimized designer software on it is a bonus - I don't see any reason for Adobe to waste money porting their suite on Linux.

Just dual-boot, use everything on Linux and when you have to design switch on windows, do the job then back on Linux once you're done.
>>
This guys voice makes me want to hang myself-
>>
>>53517296
Use GIMP instead
>>
>>53517567
install arch you dumb fuck

stop using this fucking gui shit

learn how to use your system

and understand how the fucking installer works you fucking tryhard neckbeards
>>
>>53517605
Start breathing trough your ass anon - don't be a faggot like any other normal human being - start to understand how your respiratory system works by breathing trough your ass.
>>
File: d53[1].jpg (29 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
d53[1].jpg
29 KB, 600x600
>>53517604
>GIMP
>not krita
ishygddt
>>
File: youhavebeenpoettered.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
youhavebeenpoettered.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
>>53517251
>linux users are more competent so linux is better
>linux doesn't require reboots after updates
>corporate applications' bullshit hasn't reached linux yet
>automatic application updates
>package manager
>you can change desktop environments
>windows bloats up after a while (this should have been remedied in windows 10)
>windows requires up to date hardware, linux runs fine on old hardware
>you can run some windows applications/games through wine or virtualbox/vmware
>>
I longed to get the fuck out of Windows, or at the very least use it only for games which is not frequently enough to bother. But I also used other tools, like Adobe shit which I needed working. I didn't care about the botnet thing though and used some other proprietary software and so on.

So I tried a few distros like Ubuntu and its spins, Fedora, Debian, Arch, Manjaro (keep in mind I'm not putting them in order), Sabayon and openSUSE.

I quickly found out, every single thing that I liked from these systems I could get somewhere else: OSX.

So I installed OSX, right? And I was thinking "what gay shit, not only I'm running something that will probably barely support my hardware because it's not even supposed to, it's also locked down by Apple and so on".

Man, what a load of shit. This feels so nice. The only thing I had trouble with is sound and now all I have to do is tick a fucking box if I have to reinstall it. Not only it looks nice by default, which none of the systems above do, it performs really well too. It is probably somewhat of a walled garden, but it works as I expect it to fucking work and nothing else. Just a little app that makes smooth scrolling really fucking smooth and binding a mouse button to mission control and I feel like a fucking king with this system. I've been looking for something like this for years now and I never fucking thought I would find it here.
>>
>>53517605
>Learn how to use your system
>Use arch

>Learn how to draw
>By tracing
>>
>>53517806
Seems like you never got over the initial difficulty curve. I wonder what people like you do on /g, since you clearly aren't interested in tech as a hobby.
>>
>>53517251
implying i haven't swapped to this botnet yet
>>
>>53517271
lmao
>>
>>53517296
>same performance as on Windows
Use Wine.

>must run natively
Why? You're just making up stubborn excuses now.
>>
>>53517875
I do other things, simple as that. I wanted a system that worked but also fixed flaws Windows had. I looked for a solution to a problem, rather than to learn about an operating system.

I mean sure, I can be an excellent chef, I don't have to be a shit cook. I can also go to a nice restaurant from time to time and get into something else instead. I'm interested in technology but there's more technology than linux distros. Shit, everyone and his mother is running an operating system that uses linux as a kernel on their phones, but nobody gives enough of a shit because not everyone spends a shitton of time learning how something works if it just -works-, and android phones nowadays for the most part just do.

Now if I wanted to get something similar to my current experience, I probably could on linux. I'd waste my time just to learn how to do half of this myself to get to the same point. And some say "just use arch" as if that's going to teach a valuable skill at all. I would think something like LFS would actually achieve something but I cannot tell if people here are just too fucking bored and they think that the time they wasted by learning how to use something that requires the amazing skill that is reading (arch) is somehow much better spent than shitposting in here.
>>
>>53517974
So you fell for the memeposters and ended up jaded. And
>I do other things, simple as that
>I can also go to a nice restaurant from time to time and get into something else instead
translates into "I don't about the how, I just want to play" in my ears.

You're a consumer, who went around shopping for linux distros, didn't find what he liked out of the box, and went for Treefruit instead. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying you're not interested in tech, you're just into pretty tech toys.
>>
>>53518051
Exactly. I didn't want a linux distro for learning. I wanted something more comfortable where I could still do my own work.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disrespect people who put their time into learning how all that works. It's learning about something different. Just people who specifically recommend Arch for that kind of shit are not specifically helpful, they claim it's somehow a skill to read a wiki and understand how to read manuals, but if I were interested in learning I think I would rather go much further than that.

The only thing I don't understand is how someone like me wouldn't belong in this specific board. Sure it has generals related to linux distros, desktop threads and programming, but there's a bunch of other stuff as well.
>>
>>53517296
Why would you use Vegas if you use Adobe Suite already?
>>
>>53517271
jej
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.