[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck this program. >go to make a square >there's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: duh GIMP.png (61 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
duh GIMP.png
61 KB, 512x512
Fuck this program.

>go to make a square
>there's no rectangle tool
>err
>google it
>multiple threads
>guy asking how to draw a rectangle in GIMP
>Well, the program isnt meant to be used that way but
>here's a SUPER SECRET HACKER WAY to make a square
>SELECT AND FILL BRAH

Give me a fucking break.
>>
File: gimp-vs-word.png (70 KB, 800x650) Image search: [Google]
gimp-vs-word.png
70 KB, 800x650
>>
You can't select multiple layers in GIMP.
>>
>>53514115
It has it's name for a reason.
>>
rectangle select
> do your rectangle
press enter > click Select > To Path
>in Paths window
right click Selection > Stroke Path...
>>
>>53514134
Holy fucking shit, GIMP still doesn't have layer effects? I've been waiting for this feature for like 10 fucking years.

Good thing I have free photoshop from work....
>>
can't you use PS in vbox
>>
Use Krita. Faster development.
>>
>>53514115
That's why Pinta is better
>>
>>53514134
GIMP has all of that. Thas pic is disinformation.
>>
>>53514307
GIMP has CMYK support and the ability to rotate text around without rasterizing it? I call bullshit.
>>
then go use mspaint, dork
>>
>>53514382
GIMP supports CMYK color profiles, it doesn't support editing in native CMYK (ie. separate the planes and edit them) without plugins
RAW (ie. images from cameras) files are supported through an external program, just like Photoshop does with Camera Raw
No raster image program really supports 32 bit files, Photoshop can open them but you can barely edit them
>>
>>53514115
Try krita, it's more of a drawing tool than image editing. It might be what you're looking for.
>>
>>53514115
Do you know how many times an artist or graphics designer draws a solid rectangle during their career? Zero.
>>
>>53514507
>I have no idea what I'm talking about but I'll say it anyway
>>
>>53514182
Yeah, obviously... DUHH!
>>
>>53514382
OK just downloaded GIMP 2.8.16 from gimp.org.

No CMYK or 32-bit color. Only RGB or Grayscale with no color depth options.

GIMP does not have non-destructive layer effects. This would also affect the ability to draw a square with an outline, although drawing a square already seems like enough of a pain.

If I rotate text, it rasterizes it. It remembers where there was text before, but if I edit the text, my rotation is gone.

I don't have any RAW files so I'm not sure how to test this one.

Seems that the image is accurate.
>>
i remember using gimp back in the 90s.
I deleted it and used mspaint.exe from then on.

i remember using gimp again in 00's.
I deleted it again and use adobe ps.

what is the point to gimp if it blows at being both a low-end and high-end image manipulative program?
>>
>rectangle select
>draw selection
wow that was difficult
>>
you have to make sure you flatten the image too, if you use the pain in the ass text tool, or else you have a border around the text.
>>
>>53514246
No, OP, don't listen to this shill. Krita is utter garbage. It's crash prone, it's brush engine is useless, and it takes longer to start up than Autodesk Inventor, a SIGNIFICANTLY more demanding program. There's no excuse.
>>
File: gimpwerte.png (350 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gimpwerte.png
350 KB, 1024x768
Is it just me or has the development of the basic gimp ui stopped in 1997? This is how it looked back then
>>
Just email adobe and tell them to release photoshop under the gplv3.
>>
>>53514652
Never crashed on me. Works beautifully. I have used Krita professionally to make significant profits.
>>
That's why I use Krita t b h
>>
>>53514782
> not having the free education version of the elements suite

c'mon
>>
>>53514937

>using the raster jew
>>
OP fucking pirate photoshop like a normal person.
>>
File: 12463612.jpg (30 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
12463612.jpg
30 KB, 720x438
>>53514115
>Rectangle tool
>>
File: snapshot3.png (84 KB, 879x458) Image search: [Google]
snapshot3.png
84 KB, 879x458
>>53514115
>>google it
>>multiple threads
>>guy asking how to draw a rectangle in GIMP
>>Well, the program isnt meant to be used that way but
>>here's a SUPER SECRET HACKER WAY to make a square

Sometimes I wonder what kind of brain dead fuckwit I share /g/ with
>>
>>53514544
Being trash at just about everything is it's purpose.
>>
>>53514115
>can't move a layer to an absolute position without using a 3rd party script
>>
Paint.NET is better.
>>
I read this thread like:
"Fuck assembly, it has no garbage collection".
>>
>>53515548
it's just a shill
>>
>>53514115
Not just getting Photoshop off Usenet like a normal person.
>>
File: Zrzut ekranu (9).png (1011 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Zrzut ekranu (9).png
1011 KB, 1440x900
>>53514481
Why would you want your raster image editor to do CMYK?
>>
>>53514704
>what is single window mode?
>>
File: krita-screen_05_davidrevoy.jpg (139 KB, 1024x622) Image search: [Google]
krita-screen_05_davidrevoy.jpg
139 KB, 1024x622
>>53514115
Gimp is an Image Manipulation Program, it's not called Paint.
>>
>>53514115
>there's no rectangle tool
- press "r" for "rectangular selection"
- choose color
- press "B" for "bucket fill"
- fill rectangular selection
Voila, a rectangle. Now that wasn't too hard.
>>
GIMP is not a raster editor, it has little to none vector capabilities. You want inkscape for that.
>>
Use Krita or MyPaint for digital painting. Equivalent winbaby program: PaintToolSAI.
Use Inkscape or Blender for vector graphics. Equivalent winbaby program: Ilustrator, CorelDRAW.
Use GIMP or Imagemagick for raster processing/photo manipulation. Equivalent winbaby program: PaintShopPro.
Use UFRaw or LuminanceHDR for RAW processing. Equivalent winbaby program: Lightroom.

Use multiple programs for complex tasks. Professionals use multiple tools.Want-to-be professionals draw squares in Photoshop.
>>
The problem with GIMP is that they tried way too fucking hard to "NOT" be Photoshop. The best thing for them to do would have been to copy it as much as legally possible.
>>
>>53514115
photoshop can't do it either
>>
>>53515548
>Sometimes I wonder what kind of brain dead fuckwit I share /g/ with

Ones like >>53515548, apparently.
>>
>>53516706
>The best thing for them to do would have been to copy it as much as legally possible.
Why?
I'm all for useful features like 16/32 bit per channel support, but why would they copy some program exactly? GIMP is not a free replacement for Ps. If you want to use it, you have to accept some of the workflow and shortcuts will be different.
>>
>>53516767
>GIMP is not a free replacement for Ps

It should be
>>
>>53516367
>its SUPPOSED to be shit
the classic "free" software defense
>>
>>53516783
Why?
Also, you can make a bounty for features, or donate. Imagine, if everyone shelling 50$ monthly for Adobe masters collection donated 10$ to GIMP. But, who am I kidding, 90% of Ps users don't pay for it, and don't want to pay for anything.
>>
>2016
>Photoshop still can't do anything better than bicubic
LMFAO
>>53516273
He refers to 32 bit as in 32 bits per channel, which Photoshop only supports for basic operations in RGB/Lab and for tone mapping to lower bit depths
>>
File: 1454531083364.jpg (79 KB, 365x500) Image search: [Google]
1454531083364.jpg
79 KB, 365x500
>>53516621
>Equivalent winbaby program:
each of those programs is available for windows
>>
>>53514115

This program should've died the second Adobe basically made CS2 suite free. Why would anyone with half a brain download GIMP when that's an option?
>>
>>53516839
>But, who am I kidding, 90% of Ps users don't pay for it, and don't want to pay for anything.
Just like Windows, eh? Dominate through piracy.
The GIMP could establish itself as a high featured power-user application but the project seems locked into being PSfree.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-09_19-30-29.png (54 KB, 805x526) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-09_19-30-29.png
54 KB, 805x526
Wine + PS
>>
>>53516903
How is GIMP worse than Photoshop CS2?
>>
Its like you niggers have never heard of Krita or something.
>>
>>53516839
There are programs out there that are taking users away from PS and other adobe programs. Sketch, pixelmator, affinity.
The reason they are able to do so is that they can show clear value for the workflow of their customers. GIMP can't or hasn't been able to demonstrate that value. Which is why we see these threads so frequently. I want GIMP to succeed, but it seems few else do.
>>
>>53516988
Krita is used for very different purposes. It is focused on painting, gimp on image manipulation.
Photoshop and gimp seem like competing programs, I would say something like manga studio would be the proprietary equivalent of krita in terms of functionality.
>>
>>53516947
Literally in every single way.
>>
>>53516367
now draw one with outline
>>
File: FREEEDOOOOOOOM.jpg (16 KB, 302x246) Image search: [Google]
FREEEDOOOOOOOM.jpg
16 KB, 302x246
>>53517017
except for pic related
>>
>>53517041
Find me a (working and succesful) graphics designer that values freedom over functionality.
>>
>>53516903
>>53516947
>>53517017

lol beat me to it.
I'm fairly certain you can even get Illustrator, Flash, etc. The entire suite; all without pirating.

If you have to ask how that's better than GIMP, all I can say is do some research or ask anyone who has even middle school knowledge of graphic programs.
>>
File: 23321.jpg (44 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
23321.jpg
44 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>53516328
>what is single window mode?
So that's all they have to show for 19 years of work?
kek'd
>>
>>53516898
Yes, your point?
>>
>>53516903
CS2 was never made free.
It is/was available on Adobe's FTP, but legally you can use it only if you have a license for CS2.

Why can't retards into copyright law?

Also, Ps is only available for OS X and Windows.
>>
>>53517055
Tom Roosendaal.
>>
WINE + mspaint.exe

solves all these problems
>>
>>53517203
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-adobe-photoshop-cs2-for-free-legally-while-you-still-can/

Google next time fucker
>>
>>53516621
Krita, Inkscape, Gimp, UFRaw are available for Windows too. So according to your post Windows users have 2 choices each and Linux users stuck with 1.
>>
>>53517241
That article is wrong.
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html
>Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download.
Adobe is not charity, they don't give out free licenses of software they make money on.
>>
>>53517248
That is correct.
I just noted a ore-or-less equivalent proprietary program for reference.
>>
>>53514652
What the flying hellfuck are you on about? Krita is one of the best FOSS tools I've ever used, never once crashed on me and it's speedy as fuck. Brushes are just fine too, and it plays real nice with Wacom tablets.
>>
linux fag here for ~13 years

GIMP IS FUCKING SHIT
IMP IS FUCKING SHIT
MP IS FUCKING SHIT
P IS FUCKING SHIT
IS FUCKING SHIT
S FUCKING SHIT
FUCKING SHIT
UCKING SHIT
CKING SHIT
KING SHIT
ING SHIT
NG SHIT
G SHIT
SHIT
HIT
IT
T
>>
>>53517223
But Blender is genuinly good software, not like GIMP.
>>
>>53517390
Production team for BBB and other BF films used GIMP (for textures), Blender and other free tools.
>>
>>53516759
Retard
>>
I still don't believe that people keep defending how shit this tool is. Even less how they compare it to Photoshop, get the fuck out of here with that.
>>
>>53517842
Yeah that's you.
>>
>>53516621
>Blender for vector graphics
>UFRaw or LuminanceHDR for RAW processing
Holy shit Anon are you serious
>>
File: eeq6han.png (301 KB, 592x1836) Image search: [Google]
eeq6han.png
301 KB, 592x1836
obligatory
>>
>>53518437
Yes, what do you have in mind?
>>
>>53518220
Says the one with low IQ
>>
File: out.png (44 KB, 542x698) Image search: [Google]
out.png
44 KB, 542x698
>>53514115
FOSS software will always be superior to non-free software regardless of performance.
>>
>>53518603
>using the term FOSS and then "non-free"
if you mean free as in freedom, then "free and open source" is redundant.
>>
File: out.png (55 KB, 891x710) Image search: [Google]
out.png
55 KB, 891x710
>>53518622
Not necessarily, one might be utilizing one's own code. In that scenario, they would have the freedom to modify and wouldn't necessarily be sharing the source code.
>>
>>53518654
Using your own code which is non-free licenced does not mean it is free as in freedom.
Freedom must apply to everyone, otherwise it isn't freedom.
>>
File: EudeLfr.jpg (63 KB, 503x604) Image search: [Google]
EudeLfr.jpg
63 KB, 503x604
Could just use Krita.
>>
>>53514115
>unironically complains about a FLOSS program because it's not an all-in-one program
>the story of a 14-year old on /g/
There are oodles of programs for drawing muh rectangles.

This is why we want to keep idiots chained to their proprietary platforms.
>>
i want to do ebin distort/stretch memes and copy patterns (to hide skin imperfections for example) but i fail
>>
>>53519698
lol

>im so into linux i actually endorse shitty functionality

fucking religious types, i swear...
>>
>>53519762
At least there's hope you're just a 14-year old and not genuinely retarded so there's still a possibility you might actually be able to understand one day what I meant.
>>
>>53519622
I can feel my heart expanding
>>
>>53519808
smug, too!
>>
P A I N T D O T N E T
>>
>>53519698
Drawing a fucking rectangle is basic image processing functionality that should be able to be done with one tool.

Go wank about your sekret klub somewhere else.
>>
>>53519698
>who cares if it lackes basic functionalities. It's a specialized program for Linux HACKERS like me

>>53520284
>go want about your secret club somewhere else
Fuck off reddit
>>
>>53520321
Just because you want it to be something it's not doesn't mean it lacks basic functionalities.
>>
>>53520339
Wow this thread is still going.

Anyway, that still doesn't account for the lack of functionality for actual image manipulation, like layer effects and the whole host of other shit in this thread.

GIMP is absolute garbage. Deploying your reality distortion field and pretending everything not in it is magically not a feature you want/need doesn't make it better. Classic denial.
>>
>>53520339
>image manipulation program
>can't manipulate images very well
>>
>>53520368
>GIMP is absolute garbage.
Talking about some "reality distortion field" and making statements like the above implies you don't have much self-awareness.

If you're so hung up about something missing from GIMP that you want to be there, how about you make your own software? Oh wait, you don't have the skill to do it.

I bet you never paid to use Photoshop or other similar proprietary software either so you've developed this delusional sense of entitlement to everything being free of charge just because you want it. A spoiled child syndrome.

Do you understand what FLOSS is? Apparently not. Because in your mind you're entitled to have everything you want free of charge and made by others for you and according to your needs.

Tell me more about the "reality distortion field".
>>
>>53520469
>calling him an entitled child who wants everything free
>that's literally the basis for the whole Foss movement
Ayy lmao have some self awareness, fag
>>
>>53520524
I'd be embarrassed if I had a son like you.
>>
The worst part about GIMP isn't actually GIMP.

It's the freetards who try to defend it without having a single clue what they are talking about when comparing it to other offerings.

Actually now I think about it GNU/Linux in general isn't that bad, it's the the shills that build your hopes up with their white lies and fabricated reality (with in their defence they seem to really believe is true). A lot of GNU/FOSS is far from perfect, it's usable but the damn freetards need to stop being so salty.
>>
>>53516995
Will one of these ever displace GIMP in Debian ootb apps?
>>
>>
>>53520555
why so salty?
>>
>>53520640
a linux user breathed on me and their cum breath got all up in my airways.
>>
>>53520555
>shills that build your hopes up
Just do everyone a favor and stay in your Microsoft, pirated Photoshop, and/or Apple world with your no-skill ass and me-me-me-me attitude.
>>
>>53520709
Shut up communist
>>
>>53520555
>It's the freetards

When you take a step back and look at it the vast majority of linux users are pushy and in your face using the same tactics that vegans, feminists and Jehovah witnesses use.
>>
>>53520654
Linux user here. I only explain myself to people telling them that in Windows the OS is always in contact with Microsoft's servers and I don't like it.
>>
>>53514115
Are you me?
Had the same problem at my workplace two weeks ago. First i thought i was too dumb to find it, but there actually is no rectangle tool.
Gimp is just about copying ps under the excuse of open source freedom. They cant copy it too good because adobe would freak the fuck out then.
So gimp is doomed to be shit tier then.
I try using Pinta/Paint.net whenever I can.
>>
File: 1441670806217.jpg (64 KB, 428x642) Image search: [Google]
1441670806217.jpg
64 KB, 428x642
>>53520888
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53520856
Ever asked yourself why you need to tell yourself these childish narratives? You could call advocating for anything as the "same tactics that vegans, feminists and Jehovah's Witnesses use" because I'm sure there's always some kind of similarity to fall back on when you ignore all the other stuff.

Also calling the vast majority of Linux users pushy is laughable. Even on /g/ they are less pushy than Windows cucks, and outside of places like this you'd be lucky to find any Linux user being pushy. Besides, even on /g/ the pushiness is really nothing but a reaction to the shilling for proprietary botnets.
>>
>>53514265
you can't resize a selection/layer in pinta. Program is very nice otherwise (still not as good as paint.net on windows), but that's caused me headaches multiple times.
>>
>>53516367
what does that even mean?
>>
>get wine
>get photoshop cs2
>works perfectly on wine emulation
>a decade-old version of a windows program is better than linux's most cutting-edge version
>>
>>53514539
When you create an RGB image with alpha, you have 8 bit alpha, thus 32 bit color depth.
>>
>>53514134
Lol. This is bullshit. you can do all that in Gimp. For raw editing you need a plugin though.
>>
>>53520561
No, because they're all Mac-only Apps and none of them are free software.
>>
>>53514182
Thank you! Great tip. I use GIMP daily.
>>
>>53517123
underrated
>>
>>53514115
Install pintoo
>>
File: scr-20160316201129.png (26 KB, 913x657) Image search: [Google]
scr-20160316201129.png
26 KB, 913x657
XPaint has a rectangle tool.
There's even a grid/snap thing, but I couldn't get it to make the grid visible.
>>
>Use photoshop for years.
>Switch to linux.
What the fuck? Everything is different. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
>Finally get used to Gimp.
<Try photoshop again.
What the fuck? Everything is different. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
>That's how I became the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
>>
i think you gotta plot it in gnu/R, and then export to a transparent gif, and import a layer over your current image.
>>
>>53514134
hilarious and true
>>
>>53521041
>You could call advocating for anything as the "same tactics that vegans, feminists and Jehovah's Witnesses use" because I'm sure there's always some kind of similarity to fall back on when you ignore all the other stuff.

You could but in reality only Linux users are as annoying as those groups. Whereas as most advocates for anything else I come across aren't. Linux users have spent the past 20 years even shitting on each other for ditro choices just like vegans and "soy milk is rape you arent a real vegan fuck you and die pleb" or feminists and "muh white women are a problem if you disagree fuckyou and die pleb"
>>
>>53516759
You're bad at shitposting, please stop.
>>
>>53524512
I would have just done a square select and made a path out of it, then stroked the path
>>
>>53514134
>Layer effects
I'm not sure what you mean by that, is this fairly close?
>>
>>53514115

Use Paint.NET
>>
>>53514115
This is something that people do not find challenging.
How does it feel having a sub average IQ?
>>
>>53525018
he's referring to non-destructive operations, for example, adding blur to a layer without permanently blurring the layer's pixels themselves
without this you'd have to make a new layer with a blurred version of the original, so as not to destroy the original
>>
>>53514115

>square tools in Gimp

You know about inkscape ?
>>
>>53525114
Or Pinta.
>>
just proves Linux sucks
>>
>>53514115
You just hit the learning curve...
>>
>>53525114
I use paint.NET + pyrochild plugin pack and it's cozy as fuck.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-16_16-16-39.png (199 KB, 1680x1019) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-16_16-16-39.png
199 KB, 1680x1019
>>
>>53525491
>select rectangular region
>is the same as drawing a rectangular region
Brilliant UX design. clap
>>
>>53525491
Nice troll
>>
>>53525656
I guess it has something to do with gimp being an editing and not an authoring tool.
>>
>>53525823
Why do Lintards compare it with Photoshop on equal terms then?
>>
>>53525833
>lintards
you pretty much answered your own question. Both have different pros and cons and work on different levels for different purposes. This thread is idiotic and we are all idiots for being in it.
>>
File: hotline gimp.jpg (59 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
hotline gimp.jpg
59 KB, 690x460
>>53514115
>>
>>53525976
xD
>>
>>53525833
The Gimp's authors don't do that. Other people do. The Gimp people know what Gimp is and they say it's not intended to be Photoshop.
>>
>paint.NEET
>>
>>53516938
>No tablet pen pressure support through wine

No thanks
>>
I tried Krita last year and it was taking too much resources, and lagging while drawing shit
>>
>>53514134
Layer effect plugin is a thing.
Plugin's exist for most of those things.
>>
>>53524981
Kill yourself retard.
>>
>>53528838
Shut up brainless manbabby
>>
File: KsYpXaP.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
KsYpXaP.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>can't even select multiple layers
>>
File: cummin_buckets.png (17 KB, 815x404) Image search: [Google]
cummin_buckets.png
17 KB, 815x404
>>53515548
You've been bubbled my friend
That answer from 2007 is broken on oh so many levels
>>
>>53529669
You fucking retard, drawing rectangles can be done in several fucking way and one that >>53515548 mentioned still fucking works. You literally have type your shit in google and the answer is there you neanderthal
>>
>>53529804
>I can't read and if I could, I'd have literally zero reading comprehension
Not my fault, kid
>>
>>53529894
Stop posting, retard
>>
>>53529917
>Look mom, I've posted it again!
>>
File: 1456362585698.jpg (180 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1456362585698.jpg
180 KB, 500x380
>>53529933
>I was pretending to be retarded
Fuck off, underage faggot
>>
>>53514182
This is obvious to absolutely no one.

Need a fucking degree to draw a square.
>>
>>53529963
>...and again!
Jesus Christ if you're serious you're so pathetic it's almost amusing
>>
>>53529988
Do you have brain damage?
>>
don t takle shiot abouty gimp
>>
>>53529804
>>53529804
That solution has the caveat that you'll have the rectangle equally distributed inside and outside of your selection, faggot. That's undesirable if you want to actually draw a rectangle for something that ain't memes. The process outlined >>53514182 behaves as a normal rectangle tool.
>>
>>53530008
You need one to take one, champ!
>>
>>53530083
>>>/b/
>>
File: laughing_pepper.png (319 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
laughing_pepper.png
319 KB, 500x500
>>53529977
>you can't create a square in gimp!
>>actually, you can...
>b..but it's not easy enough!

Just keep trying to defend your proprietary garbage. I'll wait.
>>
File: 1429599349668.jpg (24 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
1429599349668.jpg
24 KB, 277x296
>>53530161
>I-I'll resort at redirecting you to /b/ !
Ah! You're running out of ebin memes! Presto, call the mod police

Jesus Christ how fucking pathetic
>>
File: 1448754247612.png (3 MB, 1200x6000) Image search: [Google]
1448754247612.png
3 MB, 1200x6000
>2014 was 2 years ago
>still using CHIMPANZEE
srsly
>>
>>53530255
The one who is pathetic is the one I was replying to. >>53530066 posted a valid counter argument while he kept posting memespeak
>>
File: excl.png (234 KB, 1811x811) Image search: [Google]
excl.png
234 KB, 1811x811
>>53514115
>>there's no rectangle tool
what, yeah there is lol. It's right at the top of the toolbox. GIMP isn't good for more than tiny edits but that sure as hell isn't the reason why. No exclusion mode is an actual point.
>>
>>53530188
GIMP suffers from a bunch of short-sighted developers and absolutely nobody running a real usability test with participants who have no vested interest in GIMP. I've asked on this board and on the GIMP forums before what sorts of usability research have been done, and the truth is embarrassingly that nobody has done any.

But why would anyone? It's an open source project, and people contribute what they want to; a usability test would be too holistic; it would cost money; it would force you to make high level decisions that have low level implications that individual people don't like.

I want GIMP to succeed, but it's a perfect illustration right now of an ad hoc software project that is *designed* horribly (and I'm not talking about aesthetics, but about the planning of how users discover and find the things they're looking for).
>>
>>53530288
Idiot, >>53530066 is still me. You didn't even fucking deserve an explanation, still you got one. You're fucking welcome.
It bothers me immensely that internet kids nowadays really believe they warrant an answer or a "counter-reply" when they don't even read what they're replying to; plus, I kind adverse pic related.
You need to fix your autism, seriously
>>
If GIMP did not have boundaries and would actually let me move what I selected instead of the whole layer, that would be great
>>
>>53530411
The point I made in >>53529804 is there are multiple ways of doing things and each have distinct limitations, which you clearly do not understand. Also, counter reply and argument is not the same thing.
You did not explain what you mean and instead posted shit replies
You started namefagging
At one point you actually gave a reply and dropped namefagging
Now you claim your statements are so absolute that it requires no explanation
Your extent of idiocy is extra-ordinary

Also
>trolling to have an answer xD
Yeah, as I said earlier >>>/b/.
>>
>>53530287
Once again, gtk cucks falls short of the supreme Qt masterrace. It's almost a daily occurrence now
>>
>>53530534
>I was only pretending to be retarded!
Oh look, now this actually applies to you!
>there are multiple ways of doing things and each have distinct limitations
Oh no, there's nothing if your fucking first reply suggesting that there was a fucking limitation, and you didn't even ask which ones those were.
>which you clearly do not understand
Jesus tittie fucking Christ, I've even hold your fucking kiddie hands to show you why the 2007 answer is undesirable
>Also, counter reply and argument is not the same thing
Also, you're a fucking autist
>namefagging
you don't even fucking know what that means you fucking kid
>you did not explain what you mean and instead posted shit replies
Oh
Fucking
WOW
Re-read >>53530411
Oh wait, you're the one who can't read/does not have reading comprehension, it renders all of this so fucking futile
>blabla idiocy let's redirect to fucking /b/ since I have to say something even if I got no arguments
Just stop embarrassing yourself and FUCKING READ the posts before you fucking hit the Submit button.
>>
File: strokeselection.png (30 KB, 300x528) Image search: [Google]
strokeselection.png
30 KB, 300x528
>>53514182
You can save a step by using "Stroke selection" instead of converting to a path.
>>
>>53531344
If you stroke selection, it strokes outside of the borders of the selection. If you stroke a path of the selection, the stroke stays within the selection. It depends on what you want.
>>
File: 2016-03-17-0026-33.webm (291 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17-0026-33.webm
291 KB, 1920x1080
>>53514182
Meanwhile in Paint.NET
>>
>>53531468
Looks like "stroke path" only stays inside the box if you still have the selection active. If you deselect and then stroke path, it does the same kind of inside+outside stroke as "stroke selection".
>>
>>53514115
nice bait but I'll bite

GIMP is for manipulating images, not drawing them. If you want to draw images use something else.
>>
>>53521159
Pretty much all FOSS creative software is trash because FOSS developers are neckbeards who have never done anything creative in their life.
>>
File: 1455469561573.gif (2 MB, 159x146) Image search: [Google]
1455469561573.gif
2 MB, 159x146
>>53524512
Wrong faggot, you have to write a script to generate an svg with the dimensions of the square you need, rasterize it with batik, downscale with image magic, then import to gimp. If you want an outline, repeat the process.
>>
>>53514265

too bad it's buggy as fuck
>>
>>53518654
Dude just use a fucking tripcode
>>
>>53518603
Care to share source of whatever you are using to generate that image?
>>
>>53514134
How does Paint.Net stack up?
>>
>>53530351
this comment is so underrated that it pains me
>>
>>53514115
Srarted using GIMP cause free. Sucks. Still haven't gone back to photoshop though. I'm stubborn like that.
>>
>>53535321
>tfw started using GIMP cause my pirated photoshop copy kept breaking and I didnt feel like going through the cracking process again

I should have another look, GIMP is too shit. Surely theres a PS torrent that doesnt involve stupid connect/disconnect trickery.
>>
>>53535321
GIMP is not shit, you're just used to Photoshop.
I'm sure the first time you used Ps you did not think "wow, this is so easy, everything makes total sense" but instead you had to watch/read lots of tutorials to figure out how to work with it.
>>
>>53518603
>>53518654
back in 2009 avatar-fagging was a bannable offence
>>
>>53518220
You just gave me flash backs to 7th grade, kid.
>>
>>53536255
There's one or two tricks to getting the entire CS in 2016. You just pay a small monthly fee of $10/mo for Photoshop and Lightroom. $20/mo for the entire suite if you're a student (guessing you are if you're still torrenting). If you want to torrent it so you can "demo it, but I'll totally buy it later for sure dude", but don't want to click a few extra buttons, then God save America.
>>
>>53514115
I did just that yesterday for the first time, and I've used almost excelsively Photoshop 7 and cs2/3 for the past 10+ years
How your dumb ass had to Google how to make a fucking colored square is beyond me
Gimp isn't the problem, you are
>>
>>53514115
>using opensource art tools
>>
>>53524478
Underretarded post
>>
>>53537262
as someone who basically grew up with photoshop i have to agree. GIMP is different, not bad.
>>
>>53537391
>not caring about your freedoms
get off my board
>>
Yep, it's total garbage. I have to say the GIMP is quite possibly the worst image editing program ever devised.
>>
>>53537679
I care about the quality of my work and tools
>>
I never really learned how to use photoshop so I'm much more comfortable using GIMP
>>
GIMP is complete and utter garbage, in order to be a Professional™ you need to use Adobe™ Photoshop™ CC™.
>>
File: 20.png (5 KB, 252x245) Image search: [Google]
20.png
5 KB, 252x245
>gimp is literal shit
>krita and paint.net lack must-have features
>you need to install 3 services and have 2 background processes and a ruskie botnet to pirate photoshop
>>
>>53537821
If you have a real need for Photoshop then it should be available through your company. If you are a 13 y/o skiddie prosumer you don't need Photoshop and have no excuse to complain about piracy, price or GIMP.
>>
>>53537923
My company is run by a freetard that forces us to use xubuntu, just stfu you don't know the hell I am living
>>
>>53537968
>>>/r/thathappened
>>
File: niggervik.jpg (3 MB, 3524x2349) Image search: [Google]
niggervik.jpg
3 MB, 3524x2349
>>53514115
i really like working with gimp, but i don't do photo editing professionally, just for fun
pic related, made this today in gimp. didn't put a lot of time into it though so im aware it has its issues
>>
>>53514115

..or you could be a little less retarded and install Inkscape along with GIMP.

Just saying.
>>
>>53514652
I measured it, took 3 seconds for startup on a cold boot. 2 seconds subsequently.
>>
File: krita.png (4 KB, 492x238) Image search: [Google]
krita.png
4 KB, 492x238
>>53516881
>He refers to 32 bit as in 32 bits per channel, which Photoshop only supports for basic operations in RGB/Lab and for tone mapping to lower bit depths
You mean like this?
>>
>>53514910
You can't use krita like Photoshop though
>>
File: 1449286763250.png (85 KB, 3001x2241) Image search: [Google]
1449286763250.png
85 KB, 3001x2241
>>53514115
Is there any good alternatives to Adobe illustrator? I'm using Manga studio 5 (got it free) and I don't know.
>>
>>53538808
Krita + Inkscape
>>
File: Screenshot-1458235174.png (82 KB, 1216x982) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1458235174.png
82 KB, 1216x982
>>53514134

Word actually has Photoshop-level non-destructive layer styles.
>>
>>53538904
>inkscape

how much?
>>
>>53539029
It's free as in freedom and as in free beer.
>>
File: image.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Guess where I made this?
>>
>>53539053
you didn't.
>>
>>53539053
Minty. Always Minty. She fucks better anyway.
>>
File: 1434091961465.jpg (86 KB, 1032x696) Image search: [Google]
1434091961465.jpg
86 KB, 1032x696
>>53539345
Damn right anon.
>>
>>53514507
Graphic designer here. You would be surprised.
>>
>>53539492
what is this cartoon?
>>
>>53539590

What programs do you use?
>>
File: 1457695978134.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457695978134.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>53539621
>>
>>53514115
Does gimp support opencl now?
>>
>>53530351
>I want GIMP to succeed, but it's a perfect illustration right now of an ad hoc software project that is *designed* horribly
So it's like every other FOSS piece of software. As a recent Winbabby refugee I'm disgusted with how terrible the controls are for over half of the applications that Lintards claim to use on a daily basis.
>>
>>53539773
Funny, that's my reaction to every program that Winbabbies claim to use on a daily basis.
>>
>>53539878
Good thing Winbabbies have Autohotkey to fix all of that. What does Loonix have in its place?
>>
>>53539895
Programs that can be scripted using the command-line.

“Scripting” via AHK is just sad.
>>
>>53539992
Good luck altering your program's hotkeys or GUI element arrangement via the command line.
>>
>>53539992
primitive command line scripts can mostly be scripted using the command line you mean
>>
>>53540002
Are you trying to write a configuration file using a shell script? If so, that's very possible.

>>53540072
I don't understand what you are trying to say.
>>
>>53540124
Not a configuration file, an actual hotkey. I.e. you press Win+U to Alt+F4 all instances of a specific program, or autopaste your clipboard in a txt file in a specific location, or whatever the fuck else you want.
>>
>>53540164
>.e. you press Win+U to Alt+F4 all instances of a specific program
killall PROGRAMNAME

>or autopaste your clipboard in a txt file in a specific location
xclip -o >FILENAME

>or whatever the fuck else you want.
I don't quite follow. None of these tasks seem like they involve a GUI.
>>
>>53540250
I'm not sure if you're pretending to be a stereotypical Linux user or just autistic
>>
>>53540250
Good, now make your shell script send Alt+F, W, T in succession after pressing Win+T within a specific window element (in this case, the main Explorer window).
>>
>>53540274
I'm neither. I'm just genuinely trying to answer your question.

You asked for an alternative to AHK-scripting on Windows, and I said Linux can use the command line instead.

You asked me for examples of how you'd accomplish two given tasks and I gave you command-line equivalents.

What seems to be the problem?

>>53540309
Again, what I'm trying to get at is that on Linux you never need to script actual GUI inputs because you can use the command line to accomplish any scriptable task.
>>
>>53540337
>because you can use the command line to accomplish any scriptable task.
Except you can't. I can't replicate my default AHK script bundle on Linux, and I've spend a few sleepless nights over it (more complex stuff than just sending Alt+F4 to programs)
>>
>>53540309
xdotool search --name explorer key alt+f key w key t

>>53540385
Well, I'd be willing to help if you give me an example of the actual task you want to accomplish.

“Send XYZ keystroke in succession to program W” is not an example of a task, that's an example of a solution.

Tell me the actual task you want to accomplish.
>>
DAILY REMINDER that GIMP doesn't even have a free transform tool

you can't resize and rotate an image without rendering it twice and using 2 separate tools

not to mention perspective

GIMP is and has always been literal shit. I always appreciate it when they explicitly copy Photoshop features and change the hotkey anyways

>quickmask is shift+q because we're retarded
>ctrl+d duplicates the current file into a new file and deselect is ctrl+shift+a
>>
>>53540401
>xdotool search --name explorer key alt+f key w key t
This will target explorer regardless of whether it's the active window or not, plus it targets it even outside the main window (ClassNN DirectUIHWND3). I reuse the Win+T shortcut amongst multiple programs for different purposes.
>>Tell me the actual task you want to accomplish.
Some of the things I use:
-toggleable self-"keylogger" that writes my keyboard's output to a file that I can bring up with a hotkey
-toggleable numpad mouse with on-the-fly customizable top speed and acceleration (I believe X has had something similar but not quite)
-being able to set any specific program to get minimized to systray with just the Esc button (would be useful for Pidgin and Angrysearch most notably)
-treat AltGr as a mouse button, except when pressed together with arrow keys, when it acts like Alt+arrow key (pretty sure this one's impossible in X)
>>
What a shitty thread. You should all kill yourselves.
>>
the best software is on windows. who knew?
>>
>>53540749
Linux knew
>>
>he cant freehand a rectangle
>>
>>53540749
you mean something like a kernel that handles fonts?
>>
>>53540596
>This will target explorer regardless of whether it's the active window or not
Extending it to the exact logic you want is just a matter of figuring out the right set of commands to use. `xdotool` is pretty flexible.

>-toggleable self-"keylogger" that writes my keyboard's output to a file that I can bring up with a hotkey
On one hot key:
pkill xinput || xinput test 10 >> key.log

This will kill xinput if already running, or otherwise start logging keystrokes while appending the result to key.log

On a second hot key:
xdg-open key.log
this will open your current log file.

>-toggleable numpad mouse with on-the-fly customizable top speed and acceleration (I believe X has had something similar but not quite)
If you just want basic numpad-to-movement I would just have hotkeys for relative cursor movement (running e.g. xdotool or swarp or something like that)

If you absolutely must have acceleration, then I would use a dedicated program for this task (and start/stop it as needed using a hotkey). I've never looked into this, but I'm sure you could find some using google.

>-being able to set any specific program to get minimized to systray with just the Esc button (would be useful for Pidgin and Angrysearch most notably)
I don't have a system tray so I can't help with this. But assuming I had one, what I'd usually do is configure my programs to minimize to the system tray when you close the window, then just press the keybinding to close the window.

>-treat AltGr as a mouse button, except when pressed together with arrow keys, when it acts like Alt+arrow key (pretty sure this one's impossible in X)
You can definitely have a key work as a modifier and as a regular key at the same time - I use such a setup at my workplace (where I have to use a shitty QWERTY keyboard), the left shift key works as both shift and \.

While X doesn't have a concept of mouse buttons, you could use evrouter to re-wroute it to a mouse button.
>>
>>53541136
>Extending it to the exact logic you want is just a matter of figuring out the right set of commands to use. `xdotool` is pretty flexible.
Pretty sure I'd need conditionals for that, does xdotool support them?
>key.log
Will have to give this a shot to see how it's gonna work
>minimize to the system tray when you close the window
That's the default behaviour, but only invoked with Alt+F4. I want any sent Esc key (no matter whether I actually press Esc or invoke it via another hotkey) to close those apps' windows and only them.
>You can definitely have a key work as a modifier and as a regular key at the same time
Haven't had such luck here. Either the Alt function got broken and it's a plain mouse button, or it keeps sending Alt+mouse button which drags the windows. I've tried various combinations of xbindkeys, xdotool and xmodmap, not sure what else is there to try.
>>
>>53541806
>Pretty sure I'd need conditionals for that, does xdotool support them?
Shell does.

>I want any sent Esc key (no matter whether I actually press Esc or invoke it via another hotkey) to close those apps' windows and only them.
I could actually program this in my window manager if I wanted: map the escape key to a small function that checks the current focus against a list of known windows (e.g. via class or title), and if so, close the window - otherwise pass the escape key on to the program.

I use a programmable window manager though. I have no idea how you'd do something like this in KDE or GNOME or something.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.