[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is there any reason to water-cooled CPU if you don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 500x296) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 500x296
So is there any reason to water-cooled CPU if you don't plan to overclock? I'd like to keep my CPU as cool as possible (I'll use it for gaming) and as silent as possible. Although I have read that water-cooled all in one units ate louder than fans. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>53512007
>I'd like to keep my CPU as cool as possible

If it isnt going over 60*c it is fine.
Make a fan profile to keep it at 60.
>>
>>53512040
Would it not be louder though? My thought process is that the cooler its running, the longer and better it will perform, especially under load.
>>
>>53512114
You won't notice any difference in life span if you have it at 60°C all the time or if you have it at 80°C.
My 2500k is OCed to 4.6Ghz with an NH-D15 and usually sits between 60 and 70, has been doing that since the day I bought it.
>>
>>53512155
I currently have a 2700k with stock fan and ive never actually bothered to look at the temps, I really should.

Its just that im building a new machine, I want it to be the best it can be (im obssesed with keeping it as cool as possible) and ive heard good and bad things about watercooling all in ones for cpu.
>>
>>53512223
Water cooling has many more points of failure. If you want reliability, get a good air cooler. Even if the fans fail, it'll still cool your CPU. If a pump fails it won't be good for your CPU (it should shut off if it gets above 100°C anyway).

Temps don't really matter that much if you're not OCing, the stock cooler will be fine. Just make sure your case has good air flow.
>>
I'm planning to make a really slim computer. Mostly for fun, I want to try mounting it under the desk. Seems like water cooling is the lowest profile. I can put the radiator flat next to the other components
>>
>>53512007
i5-4690k here overclocked once, changed back to stock recently. I currently have a krakenx61 and I keeping it since it has 2 good fans.
>>
water cooling is an ultra meme and you should never bother with the shitty aio closed loop coolers, you can get air coolers that will outperform them for similar money or just get a $30 air cooler that does 90% of that.

you will only get superior cooling performance with a fully custom loop and it will be $300-400.
>>
File: 1453863336473.jpg (18 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1453863336473.jpg
18 KB, 413x395
>>53513717
not when you live in a place where AC cant even get the room temp below 90F in the middle of the night, or you want to overclock your machine
>>
>>53512007
Custom loop > air cooler > aio water cooler
>>
Your GPU is always going to be louder than your CPU cooler, a 120mm air cooler spinning at 30% will be enough to cool and be quiet.
>>
>>53512314
My 3470 with stock cooler is in a Dell Optiplex 7010 case with 1 exhaust fan, and the temps never go above 40 c
>>
File: 10 - Watercooler installed.jpg (756 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
10 - Watercooler installed.jpg
756 KB, 1600x1200
Pic related.

Never over clocked it, although I bought am unlocked cpu so I could maybe overclock in the future. Felt like I wanted the cpu as cool as possible for reasons. It sits at 18c idle usually.

Sound wise I don't know if it's loud or not, its completely drowned out by the case fans which have gotten annoyingly louder as they age.
>>
>>53514224

See this is what I wanted to know. Can anyone idle their CPU without aio cooling at 18 degrees?
>>
>>53514298
>>53514224
AMD cpus have inaccurate readings at low temperatures. I highly doubt it's actually 18 degrees
>>
>>53514298
That's an AM3 socket. Fx series CPUs have inaccurate idle temps due to the temp sensor on board. I have a FX 6300 that idles at "8C" sometimes. Then it jumps around 14 or 16C.
>>
>>53514445
beat you by 32 seconds you penis
>>
>>53514213
Actually nevermind, I just checked and my garbage prebuilt that my parents bought for me is idling at 63*C.

Oh well, maybe when I graduate high school and get a job I can get something better.
>>
>>53514445
Ya I got a FX6200. So it's there any way of getting accurate temps from them?

Do newer cpu's have this issue?
>>
Just checked my CPU (op here) and my i72700k is idling at 60, goes to 90 under load. That's disgusting, but it is a 5 year old CPU with stock cooling. I still want to try out aio system purely because my new case will be a corsair 240 and have plenty of airflow anyway
>>
>>53513952

are you retarded? water cooling doesn't magically reduce the amount of heat output by your computer nor does it magically make your CPU OC any better than it would with an air cooler. pretty much every AIO water cooler is subpar to stuff like the nh-d15.
>>
the single 120mm/140mm liquid coolers are useless, unless you are shoving it into a mini-itx case. however, the 240mm/280mm rads are better than high-end air cooling if you have the mounting space for it. however, if silence is more important than the lowest degree, you cant go wrong with the noctua nh-d14/d15/d15s
>>
>>53512007
What CPU do you have, what case do you have and how many case fans do you have?

If you're not using an AMD house fire, have a reasonably size cased and at least two case fans, you should be able to get away with passive cooling your CPU with something like the Thermalright Macho cooler.
>>
>>53512007

The point of smaller AiO Water Coolers is to basically moving where the heat gets exhausted to where the radiator is. In 99% of computers, this doesn't matter.

If you've got a tiny ITX build it can matter
If you've got a giant server it can matter
If you've got a machine full of heat output from HDDs, GPUs, and other things, it can matter
If you're overclocking tons of components and would rather not have to increase overall static pressure with more/greater case fans to cool these newly overclocked components, it can matter.

Unless you're at any of these points, water-cooling doesn't fucking matter. Air Cooling is cheaper, has less points of failure, can be quieter for the same amount of cooling, and still works to some degree even after fan failure.
>>
>>53515751
I think OP's pic was just some random example. What about open loop coolers?
>>
>>53514469
My parents are dead, and I dropped out about 5 years ago.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.