[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Last month we reported that Debian developers were considering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 0e7.jpg (32 KB, 600x619) Image search: [Google]
0e7.jpg
32 KB, 600x619
>Last month we reported that Debian developers were considering dropping their modified edition of Firefox, named Iceweasel, in order to resume packaging Mozilla's Firefox complete with the "Firefox" name and branding. >Last week the Debian project moved forward with this plan, packaging the Firefox web browser in place of Iceweasel. People who currently use the re-branded Iceweasel browser will automatically receive the new Firefox package as an update. "This took longer than it should have, but a page is now officially turned. I uploaded Firefox and Firefox ESR to Debian Unstable. They will have to go through the Debian NEW queue because they are new source packages, so won't be immediately available, but they should arrive soon enough. People using Iceweasel from Debian Unstable will be upgraded to Firefox ESR."

ITS OVER DEBIAN IS DEAD
JUMP SHIP
>>
>>53511638
>Getting a freedom boner from changing an icon

Fuck off. Only reason I use Debian is because it's stable and supported. If you want to campaign for FOSS do something more than slapping a sticker on someone else's work.
>>
>jump ship
nigga this is an improvement
>>
And im installing debian when i get home fuck dat shizzz
>>
why did they do it in the first place

it's just a trademark or w/e, it's not infringing on my freedom
>>
>>53514179
Pretty sure it was just because the Firefox name and/or logo was non-free or some shit like that.
Whatever the reason for the rebrand, it is apparently no longer an issue and thus there is no reason for the rebrand to exist any longer.
>>
>>53513690
Please explain to everyone how this is an improvement.

SJWFox is trash.
>>
>>53511638
>ITS OVER DEBIAN IS DEAD
Wow, a browser got renamed. Debian is dead!
>>
Fucking finally

>Jump ship
do it yourself faggot
>>
>>53514179
>>53517358

It was because Debian wanted to apply their own security patches to Firefox, but Mozilla wouldn't allow them to do that and still distribute it as original Firefox, because it wasn't. So they had to rebrand it.

Seems to me like they just decided that Firefox security is good enough these days.
>>
>>53517379

>implying iceweasel is not just a reskin
>>
>>53517379
It's firefox without going through the MUH FREEDOM filter. If you think Firefox is SJW then why the hell would you want Iceweasel, it's the same shit rebranded.
>>
Fucking finally. Iceweasel is shit and when I used Kali Linux (debian based) the OS seemed to go out of its way to make it a huge pain in the ass to install Firefox, complaining about 'muh freedumbs'. I needed to install FF because IW didn't support some basic FF shit I needed and its devs are slow as hell in catching up to FF
>>
>>53512079
uh, it had nothing to do with muh freedom.
mozilla forbid usage of their trademarks.
>>
>debian
>with x loaded
What the fuck are you doing?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.