[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone know the best coding languages for finance?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: 1457997012127.png (131 KB, 700x852) Image search: [Google]
1457997012127.png
131 KB, 700x852
anyone know the best coding languages for finance?
>>
c
>>
>>53511080
stfu
>>
COBOL
>>
>>53511080
COBOL
>>
>>53511080
excel
>>
OCAML
>>
>>53511080
For very precise stuff C

Common stuff Python, R, Matlab
>>
what about C++ vs python?
>>
COBOL
>>
>>53511080
ASM desu
>>
>>53511080
c for the trading and network stuff, R for statistics, Haskell for prediction and analysis
>>
I know you'll never actually try, but

Machine learning to build models for algo trading requires parallel data processing of millions of rows with 10s of columns..

c++

it's a lonely life
>>
COBALT
>>
>>53511440
oh and this nigger is on the right shit..

Use R to sanitize/structure your data
>>
what is better to start with first? python or C++?
>>
>>53511650
if you have never programmed before, mastering python would be a great start. Understand every feature of the language, then you can move on to c++

There are a thousand babby to big boy courses out there; But I know you still won't actually do it
>>
>>53511692
I've been learning HTML,CSS,JS for a couple months, just started getting into programming, should I even bother continuing? Shall I just move directly on to python?

Seems like front end development stuff has no applications for finance/biz
>>
R
>>
Don't listen to the memes, COBOL all the way.
>>
Binary
>>
ocaml, if you're an autist who wants to make a lot of money and play chess with smelly twig-people at work

If you're normal, C++ and Python. But it depends on what you're doing. Finance is a broad field
>>
>>53511080
nepotism and corruption. the only languages you need
>>
>>53511761
yes, do python

out of those, HTML and CSS are not programming languages, only JS kinda is. Python is definitely what you should start with but if you're feeling extra autistic, do C++ since it gives you a ton of control over how the computer executes the code at a low level
>>
File: imgres.jpg (4 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
4 KB, 248x203
>>53512422
>>
>/vbscript

c'mon /g/
>>
Sicne pharma was mentioned in OP's image, what's a good language for bioinformatics? What do they use to simulate all those crazy organic molecule and protein interactions?
>>
>>53511080
If you want a job: C++ and R
>>
vba for excel
>>
Tip from someone who actually studied and works in institutional finance and data science: programming your (obviously) retail investing get-up is literally the easiest part of the process.

If you don't have a strong background in finance, just stop now.
If have the above, but don't have a background in data science, statistics, or math, go work on that first.
If you have the above, but still feel lost, you might by lying to yourself about your strengths with the above.

I'm sure I could find you literally hundreds of people who use any of the languages/tools listed in this thread for their analyses/automations, but none of it really matters if you're just some dumbass CS undergrad who thinks programming will inherently give you an advantage in a field yo know nothing about.
>>
>>53513126
Many use R (Bioconductor), but obviously other stuff too. (Disclaimer: I don't work in the field, but am deep enough in the R community to know that tons of my friends around me use it for it).
>>
RPG IV
>>
>>53511080
So many hipsters in here. Python is literally all you need.
>>
>>53512448
moron, html with css is turing complete
>>
how many hours do you think it would take to become proficient in python?
>>
>>53511080
If you're interested in a career in quantitative finance, I would advise you to look at job listings and see what kind of languages they expect you to know. I've found that R, Python, Matlab, C, C++, are all common.

If you're interested in investment banking, you won't need to know anything other than Excel and maybe VBA.
>>
>>53513831
Thousands? Dude, what is your end goal here? From the finance to the analytics to the programming, none of this is stuff you can become proficient in over night. I'm sincerely interested in what you actually want to do with this stuff, but I hope you realize that many people dedicate their entire lives to "becoming proficient" in just these -individual- areas, so you can't seriously hope to expect to turn a thread into a weekend project.
>>
>>53513995
I'm about to graduate with an econ degree, gonna go to grad school in a couple years, MSFinance or MBA, or possibly MSFinancial Engineering

Programming has caught my interest and I've been learning some basics these last couple months, just trying to decide what I should focus my time on

and yea from what I've seen a lot of Financial Engineering programs want C++/R/Python

Just looking for other opinions
>>
>>53511080
COBOL.
>>
Simula 67
>>
>>53514152
This is a good point, there are multiple sides to 'programming for finance'.

An analyst is going to be writing lots of little programs for whatever analysis they are doing.

However for anything backend, COBOL.
>>
>>53514818

hmm ok, sounds, reasonable,

I would be prepared to invest a lot of time into COBOL
>>
>>53515071
>I would be prepared to invest a lot of time into COBOL
You'll have to.
There is an awful lot of time gone into COBOL.
The big shops have youngsters fresh from college writing subroutines and proprietary libraries for COBOL. And that's been going on for over 50 years.
It's certain that whatever you try to do in COBOL it's already been done and better than you ever could.
And FORTRAN's worse.
>>
>>53511147
>>53511165
COBOL
>>
>>53517603
COBOL
>>
>>53511080
I don't do it, but every course in financial engineering has intro to C++ in it. Should tell you something about the job description.
>>
Are there even free as in freedom COBOL compilers? What database do they even use with COBOL?
>>
>>53511178

Go back to cscareerquestions, NEET.
>>
>>53514152

Lol you won't get into Financial Engineering with an econ degree. You literally have to be a master of space, time and math to even consider a career in quantitative finance. At that level of intelligence, picking up the Comp Sci is trivial.
>>
>>53517282
oops typo didn't mean COBOL, meant your MOM

HAHAHAA KEKED BETA BOI
>>
>>53518342
Well, there's Gnu COBOL, formerly Open COBOL
>>
>>53511080
K.
>>
File: 1449120943310.jpg (57 KB, 562x657) Image search: [Google]
1449120943310.jpg
57 KB, 562x657
>>53511080
>coding languages
Fucking /v/ermin
>>
>>53511147
>>53511165
>>53511423
>>53514805
>>53517603
>>53518189
COBOL
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.