[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /g/'s thoughts on GNOME 3?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1319560125016.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1319560125016.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
What are /g/'s thoughts on GNOME 3?
>>
>>53510204
Old habits die hard.
>>
>>53510204
Cinnamon > GNOME 3 >> other DEs
>>
>>53510240
I forgot about xfce. It should certainly be up there, too.
>>
>>53510204
Comfy as fuck, easily modded to your needs through their extensions homepage.
>>
File: oldhabits.jpg (91 KB, 1340x754) Image search: [Google]
oldhabits.jpg
91 KB, 1340x754
>>53510204
>>
>>53510204
Shit.
>>
I like it. It's either gnome 3 or xfce but xfce takes too much ricing desu familia
>>
Budgie is better
>>
>>53510204
it okei but RAM use is a bitch. I prefer GNOME forks (MATE and Cinnamon)
>>
if I'm using something that should just werk I want something where I don't have to dig through config files, and gnome doesn't deliver, I dislike the defaults as they tried to be an osx clone and fail miserably which means digging through config files or using awful config tools, or using extensions written by developers that might go awol or have no idea what they're doing, extensions that can, will, have done, and will likely continue continue to break on updates

I mean, the fact that gnome removed a fucking selectable location bar (for buttons for fucks sake, BUTTONS) from nautilus without adding a config option within nautilus to enable it again until the comminity backlash was big enough that they put it in a drop down menu was bad enough, but to have the issues on the default fucking file picker in gtk (daily reminder 10 year old thumbnail bug) which is used by the majority of gnome applications without an option within the file picker to enable it (unless you can remember that hotkey and press it every god damn time you open the file picker) is batshit lunacy and makes a linux desktop far more locked down and unaccessible than anything else - even windows figured this simple shit out and will revert to a selectable location bar when you click on it and look at the recent cockups windows has had on the desktop front in recent years

but I guess this is what happens when the founder of the project states that the linux desktop is dead and personally uses osx (only to eventually be hired by microsoft) -- speaking of Miguel de Icaza, he was also heavily involved in mono, a project that was so awful (despite the c#/.net shills that stated c# was fine on linux with mono) that even fucking microsoft had to step in and start opensourcing .net and porting to linux

/rant
>>
>>53510204
I'm more of a KDE guy myself (because krita)
maybe i'll try on fedora
>>
>>53510204
Defaults are shit, but it's not bad after installing the right plugins
>>
>>53510204
entirely avoidable
>>
xfce > all
simple
>>
>>53510299
This, although I've moved to Plasma 5 from GNOME 3, but GNOME 3 felt a lot more matured and stable. KDE custom themes are like they're made by 10 years old American kids.
>>
It's ok. I use it on my desktop where it's so overpowered, I don't give a fuck about resources (Quad core i7, 16 gigs, shit load of drives...) On my laptops I use mate, and really you all should. I'm sitting at 9 watts posting this on a Pentium M (IBM T42). XFCE was too.... junky for me. Just my 2 cents.
>>
I like it, assuming I get to set it up to my liking. Not fond at all of its defaults. Even using it on my 2008 Core2Duo laptop; works nicely with animations turned off.
>>
>>53510204
I would love it if it allowed more customization OOTB. Like If I want to make any use of the empty space in the top bar (or do anything with it really), I need to install a shit-ton of addons for multiple functions, and even then I couldn't really do what I want because those addons didn't allow for much customization either.
>>
Nowadays it's pretty good.

Back in the days of 3.8-3.14... One of the worst things I've experienced in the Open Source community. I'm glad those dark days are behind.
>>
>>53511640
Krita doesn't pull in K dependencies...
>>
I prefer WindowMaker
>>
>>53510204
Different for the sake of being different, honestly. It's no more efficient than any other desktop setup, but it's different enough to be annoying.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.