[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So back in 1991 when Linux was just the kernel, what did peo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: 1367552559453.jpg (234 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1367552559453.jpg
234 KB, 1680x1050
So back in 1991 when Linux was just the kernel, what did people do with it? Just ping netscape.com?

Or what programs did it include?

What can you do with just a kernel?
>>
You have no idea what any of those terms mean.
Go back to >>>/v/.
>>
>>53505440
Go back to >>>>/v/
you tech illiterate kid
>>
Google it
>>
>>53505586
What's wrong with netscape?
>>
>>53505510
go back to /b

>>53505440
hmm... maybe maybe thay developed it to run gaymes as rogue or to interact with MUD Client Protocol or Gopher?
>>
>>53505440
We shitposted about linux on 4chan.
thats the reason why it was developed
>>
Most of the GNU userspace was completed, sans kernel. The GNU userspace was ported to Linux and it was a complete OS fairly quickly.
>>
>>53505440
>So back in 1991 when Linux was just the kernel, what did people do with it?

The same thing they do today, protect their virginity.
>>
This thread again?
>>
>>53505711
>>53505726
/thread
>>
>>53505722
So Linux made it to work with GNU programs from the beginning?
>>
>>53505790
He more or less relied completely on GNU tools to build his kernel, and just implemented a standard userland interface from there. People got tired of waiting for Hurd and didn't want to run Minix or one of the dozens of proprietary UNIX kernels, so they just plopped Linux in there and were off.
>>
>>53505790
Yes. There wasn't a good open source kernel at the time. Minix wouldn't integrate ugly patches because it was supposed to be educational. The GNU programs ran on some other unix kernels so linus made linux for fun and to be integrate features minux wouldn't want.
>>
Is Linux the worst thing that ever happened to RMS?
>>
>>53506334
RMS is the worst thing that happened to RMS.
>>
It still is just a kernel
Linus used gnu compiler, coreutils, shell etc to actually get to do something with it
>>
>>53506448
rms please leave
>>
>>53506334
not at all, he even uses is, proprietary software is what he doesn't like.
>>
So back in 2015 when Linux was just the kernel, what did people do with it? Just ping netscape.com?
>>
>>53506793
I'd like to just interject for a moment....
>>
When will Linux finally compile with LLVM/clang?

We need to get rid of gcc asap.
>>
>>53506506
why is he wrong
read linux history faggot
thats literaly what happened
>>
well GNU wasn't ported at the time so linux users would use whatever as long as it compiled
>>
>>53505874
Where can I find this "Hurd" distro you speak of?
>>
>>53505440
>So back in 1991 when Linux was just the kernel
It still is 'just' a kernel.

>what did people do with it?
Well, in 1991 it was still in its infancy and some of the MINIX community were contributing after Torvalds sent that NNTP message. At the time I think it only had a shell and some basic bare essential command line tools to interact with the system and its (specific) hardware Torvalds had at his disposal.

It would take another 3 years for the first 1.0 release, during which time GNU also became interested. The GNU Hurd kernel wasn't going anywhere that fast, and BSD still had some legal troubles trying to disclose its source code. That's why GNU just went with Linux as its kernel, because it was easier at the time.

The Linux kernel went open source (GPL) in 1992 because it was just easier for Torvalds that way to attract a big community that would help develop the kernel, together. I believe it was the first one that went open source and really took off because it enabled everyone to contribute and people became excited.

So to answer your question, back in 1991, when it was still just Torvalds, just a fun hobby project, nothing open source and just his hardware that it could run, back then it wasn't anything yet. It was just a kernel that just ran on his hardware because it was all he had.
>>
Watch revolution OS
>>
>>53506859
What's wrong with gcc?
>>
>>53508510
>back then it wasn't anything yet. It was just a kernel that just ran on his hardware because it was all he had

That's what I find refreshing

No github
No logos
No marketing
No evangelism
No muh freedom
No donate (bitcoins accepted)
No code of conduct
No community council
No I-started-a-project-without-code-start-contributing-while-I-design-the-logo

1991 feels so distant!
Where it all went so wrong?
>>
>>53510988
>no logos
>no marketing
>no evangelism
lel
>>
>>53510988
linus drew the penguin logo while minix did all the work
>>
>>53506859
It compiles with tcc, which is non GNU.
>>
>>53507079
You can try Arch Hurd.
It works in Qemu, I've never tried it on anything else since it only supports ext2 and FAT16/32.
>>
We literally had this thread yesterday.
>>
>>53512682
We had every thread yesterday
>>
I know someone who has the comp that was used to write the kernel...he said it was a hand me down...how much would something like that cost today?
>>
Linux was the orginal 4chan before m00t stole it from Linux torvaldo and hacked it into the sight were on right now
>>
>>53513884
Its crazy shit. Some people never know what they have. It was left in the closet for a long time. Soon the persons younger siblings inherited it.
>>
>>53513901
Make some sense bruh.
>>
>>53505510
>>53505531
oi faggots, theres too many windows cunts around for you to be pissing on linux threads.
>>
>>53514033
I was taught to use it once. Basically the training course was like writing an essay. Then you go into actions. Very simple way of learning computer science. Dunno if torvald owned it only know it was the same one used to make that crap. Same system.
>>
>>53514126
Threw it out dudes threw a tamper tantrum.
>>
yeah linus just jacked off and there became everything. seriously OP read a book or wikipedia. christ these faggots are so apple brainwashed they have no concept of how we got to now.
>>
>>53505440
>I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40)
>>
>>53505440
>So back in 1991 when Linux was just the kernel
It's still just the kernel.
>>
>>53506859
Last I heard, it relied on nested functions, aka the only GNU extension so shitty that the Clang devs outright refuse to implement it.
>>
File: 583b7a64c7635bb3fc9e.png (251 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
583b7a64c7635bb3fc9e.png
251 KB, 500x322
>>53513901
>Linux torvaldo
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.