[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mathematica or Matlab?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: splash.png (150 KB, 354x387) Image search: [Google]
splash.png
150 KB, 354x387
Mathematica or Matlab?
>>
metleb
>>
>>53504453
Different tools for different jobs.

Mathematica is good when you need to do a lot of symbolic numerical analysis, calculus, what have you.

MATLAB is better for big data number crunching, prototyping, plotting, and numerical approximation.

That being said I'm pretty damn good at MATLAB, but I've only used Mathematica once or twice.
>>
>>53504453
>Proprietary software
Not even once.
http://www.sagemath.org/
>>
>>53504497 has it right.

Every physicist I know loves Mathematica, but as an engineer I almost exclusively use MATLAB.

They're both great pieces of software, but fill different niches.

Figure out what you want to do, and it should be clear which program is better suited.
>>
Python
>>
fortran
>>
>>53504516
>garbage Python frontend
Not again.
http://www.axiom-developer.org/
>>
mathematica's syntax is absolutely terrible
>>
Mathematica for data viz, python for number crunching.
>>
>>53504453
Paint.
>>
>>53506181
Deprecated
>>
Please buy Maple to make Canada great again!
>>
>>53504453

Maple15 works great.
>>
methlab
>>
>>53504497
>>53504617

What they said.
Numeric -> mattelabba
Symbolic -> mathemagica
Your question is like asking what is the better tool? A hammer or a shovel? Different tools for different jobs.
That being said MATLAB has way better syntax - or maybe it's just me being used to it, who knows...
>>
>>53504497
absolutely what this anon said, although i use sympy and scipy

honestly you're pretty much ok with any of them, or octave. as long as you're not using maple, with is a FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT
>>
Julia is the future
>>
I have used both.
They barely cover the same things.
I know that you can use matlab to create scripts and stuff, but it really sucks at that.
What matlab is good for, is the toolboxes, a lot of really powerful tools where you can describe things visually, and build complicated systems quickly and all you focus on is the math or the control or whatever field you are in.
It can even generate code for you.

Mathematica is really nice if you need to make a quick script where you verify your math without implementing too much yourself.

If all you need to do is make some quick data analysis like do some statistics and plot your data, I would recommend that you stay away from both these options and use a much simpler tool, R.
It is much easier to script if you have a background in writing C like applications, comes with good documentation and is free as in freedom.

Different needs really.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.