[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting a job at a small computer repair place this Friday.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: wage-slave.gif (5 KB, 250x162) Image search: [Google]
wage-slave.gif
5 KB, 250x162
Starting a job at a small computer repair place this Friday. Part time, $12.50/hour, drive sucks, but it's the best I can do with my shit GPA

What should I expect?
>>
pls help
>>
>>53496249
>$12.50/hour
>part time
You should expect an ass raping and say thanks afterwards unless you live in NY or some shit. Where I live minimum wage and part time are synonymous
>>
If you haven't already been on site to see how they operate, and actually asked the same fucking question to the people working there, you can fuck off you dumb fucking child.

Holy shit what is wrong with you?
>>
>>53496249
First off, congrats on the job anon! Use this as a stepping stone to another job as soon as you get a bit of experience.
Expect it to be pretty shit, but try and keep a good attitude for a while because managers really do notice that if they're a good at what they do.
Best of luck!
>>
>>53496457
I was there, and I have asked. How do you expect me to get the job otherwise? Projecting much?
>>
How many employers can actually give a fuck about your GPA?
>>
>>53496502
paid internships definitely do
>>
Best thing about working at a small place is that you can get away with shit like hitting on your fellow employees, being politically incorrect, etc. Once you work for a big company, all that fun stuff of being real goes out the window.
>>
>>53496496
Then what the fuck do you want to hear? You better have some fucking social skills and be able to interact with people you fucking tool.

I worked in sales and then as a tech for 6 years, everything you 'should expect' is common fucking sense. The best way to handle it is to not spend your time on /g/ because you will find out real quick the people here dont live in the real world.
>>
BTW, we are ALL slaves regardless of our income. Unless you are one of those very rare people who figured out a way to survive in a tree out in the wilderness or cave somewhere, you are a slave to the system.
>>
>>53496249
do you have a college degree of any kind? I assume this is Geek Squad tier work?

Since they're paying you $12.50/hr, expect to be over-worked when you are in the building and to be under-appreciated because "we can hire someone to replace you in minutes if you so much as grunt in displeasure at my decision".

>Didn't work IT, but was making $10/hr as a Sports Authority technician. I would string tennis rackets, wax skis/snowboards, build and fix bicycles etc. On top of it all they expected me to help clean the sales floor, sell shit to customers, and THEN have the audacity to ask why my tech work was falling behind.

They used to try and guilt me into staying beyond 8 hours for standard wage too. (No overtime pay).

I could be entirely wrong though. Some places are really chill and work you normal. How stupid are you? Do you actually know what you're doing in regards to troubleshooting hard/software of a PC?
>>
>>53496583
>do you have a college degree of any kind? I assume this is Geek Squad tier work?
I am working on a CS degree. It's Geek Squad type stuff but actually competent.

>expect to be over-worked when you are in the building and to be under-appreciated
Good and bad news, he's a bit short staffed which means I'm more needed but it also means I have to pull more weight

>They used to try and guilt me into staying beyond 8 hours for standard wage too
Fuuuck that, I'd probably quit. This is just for resume building and making money so if I really have to I could

>How stupid are you? Do you actually know what you're doing in regards to troubleshooting hard/software of a PC?

I'm the guy who does it for all of my friends. I've built a few computers, helped friends with their builds, removed bloat, removed malware, re-soldered a mechanical keyswitch, etc. Nothing big, but I know my way around
>>
>>53496249
Go to work, get your job done, learn new things, learn some boring things, (maybe) pick up new interests and hobbies, (maybe) continue to pursue your education, (maybe) get new contacts in the industry, (maybe) use your new education and contacts to get a new/better job.
>>
>>53496811
then you should be fine assuming you can function as a human being for everything else. Get along with co-workers. Deal with customers. Smell good. Don't come off as creepy. etc.

The fact that you have real life friends that you talk to is a good sign. Just take it a day at a time and make the best of it. $12.50 an hour with nothing but a highschool diploma in this day and age isn't bad.
>>
>>53496249
be thankful you don't work in a restaurant making minimum wage

you sound spoiled
>>
>>53496878
>The fact that you have real life friends that you talk to is a good sign

/g/'s standards sure are low
>>
>>53496938
it's a shit job he still has a right to bitch about it
>>
>>53496436
>12.50/hr

That's pretty good I'm full time and 12. That's after starting at 10 three years ago.

Expect old people, lots of bullshit, more old people, dead hdds, old people, and old people blaming you for when they forget how to work their computer.

Old people.
>>
>>53496502
ATT doesn't hire anyone that isn't near 4.0.
>>
>>53496954
have you seen some of the people who post here?
>Hey /g/, NEET here. Looking to get a job in *insert field here* because my Mom is making me. I have zero formal education beyond barely scraping by with a C+ in highschool. Do employers care if you have no job history at all? I have no social media because botnet.

I could go on. OP is leaps and bounds ahead of some of the refuse I've seen come here.
>>
>>53496960
Very few people in the world start with a good job. No one crawls out of the womb with a PhD and 25 years of experience in enterprise-level programming. We all (except for the 0.1% who have parents that own companies) start with a crappy job, and earn our way up.
>>
>>53496496
You should know how it is then. Why would you expect someone from here who doesnt work in the same place as you to know how they operate?
>>
>>53497438
maybe someone's worked a repair job?
>>
>>53496249
>Starting a job at a small computer repair place
Holy shit, they still exist? Is it in the same plaza as the 1hr 35mm film photomat? No seriously, I think there is still one in my town, but it's a single man operation that can't afford to hire anyone.
>>
>>53497399
>Very few people in the world start with a good job
people with good GPA do, with their 300k starting at google and co.
>>
>>53497457
It varies by location though. Computer repairs on the east coast could function completely different from one from the west coast.

All you need to know is learn to love what you're doing and build a healthy relationship with the people you work with.
>>
>>53497490
>with their 300k starting at google and co
How many people get hired by Google et al at that rate? Many people, or very few people?
>>
>>53497490
I kinda hate how GPA factors into job hiring. It shows how good you are in an artificial school environment, nothing more
>>
>>53497524
It's the only information an employer has on you.
>>
>>53497524
If anything GPA is pretty much a non-factor for finding jobs
It only matters if you want to get Masters/PhD
>>
>>53497524
>This person has a high GPA. That means this person can follow rules, work with an established system, and learn.
>This person has a low GPA. There is a possibility that they are bad at studies and exams, but great for the job... but there is a greater possibility that they are plain stupid.
>Who do I hire? Hmm....
For fresh grads without experience, GPA is a valid comparison. After a few years of experience, then GPA matters a lot less.
>>
>>53497508
>How many people get hired by Google et al at that rate?
well they're not going to hire trash
>>
>>53497581
Fair point, but they could at least read the rest of my resume and maybe interview me to confirm I'm not retarded
>>
I have no job experience but I'm planning on volunteering at an e waste recycling center. What should I expect there and is it a good start?
>>
>>53497595
>they're not going to hire trash

They hired moot, so...
>>
>>53497614
Small/medium companies who need very specific hires will do so. They need someone who is skilled, intelligent, and who does not cost much. It is worth their time to look for people who are good at the job, but with lower GPA and thus lower salaries, since small/medium companies will pay lower salaries.

Larger companies with higher "purchasing" power are just going to trash your fresh-grad-low-GPA resume. It is simply not worth their time.
>>
>>53497656
Good news is I'm only like half way to graduation and this semester is going really well so I have plenty of time to unfuck my GPA
>>
>>53497647
not for engineering
>>
The clients are often retarded
>>
>>53496518
Working a software engineering internship at 17.50/hr with a 1.8 GPA. Some people care about GPA, some have other priorities.
>>
>>53497671
If you can get a part-time job during your studies, that would HUGELY boost your hire-ability after graduating.
>>
>>53497742
Interns also go a long way. I've known people who go to lesser schools in order to get better internships.
>>
>>53497742
Oh hey OP here, that reminds me. The computer place does contract jobs sometimes and they've got an offer from some government partner to set up a DoD compliant network. I could get in on some of it.

I was already planning on cyber security right out of college, and that's one hell of a resume booster
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.