[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This September I'll enroll at a decent engineering school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10
File: PoE.jpg (114 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
PoE.jpg
114 KB, 720x480
This September I'll enroll at a decent engineering school - right now I'm torn between CS and CE. Can one really get me a better life? I also have the options of ECE(electrical + CE) and a CS CE dual major. Any advice?
>>
File: billgatestaco.jpg (46 KB, 360x504) Image search: [Google]
billgatestaco.jpg
46 KB, 360x504
bump
>>
>>53495699
well what do you want to get into after you graduate??

for more analysis and research type roles, you would be better off with the CS degree. data science, machine learning, etc.

a lot of my friends that got their CS degree are doing machine learning and data mining. many of my old coworkers that were software developers held various engineering degrees. one of them didnt have a degree at all.
>>
>>53495699
do meth
>>
EE major with a CS minor reporting. I go to a well known state university. According to my academic and career advisors, I've got a very marketable combination.
>>
The CS major is just for people who aren't good enough for Mathematics.

Disclosure: I am a CS major.
>>
Also, don't double major. It isn't worth it.
>>
>attempting to begin a career in 2020

you would have been better off being aborted desu
>>
>>53495947
Don't you have to minor in Mathematics anyway?
>>
File: 1451813633727.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1451813633727.png
296 KB, 649x649
is that 3,5mm to ethernet?
>>
>>53496027
There's no major program that requires you to minor in something else as well. You might have to do some courses that bring you 80% of the way to getting a minor in something else, but that's a different thing.

College is 60% the same for everyone - breadth courses in all sorts of random shit - and even the major-specific stuff is pretty general. If you're doing a major in the school of engineering you're probably taking 80% of the same sorts of courses that any other School of Engineering student is taking (regardless of department/major itself)
>>
>>53496081
ACM accredited schools require all CS majors to get a minor in Math. If you have a CS degree from a non-ACM school, you might as well throw away your diploma and apply to Geek Squad.
>>
File: lNha5.png (117 KB, 1656x882) Image search: [Google]
lNha5.png
117 KB, 1656x882
>>53495699
3rd year EE major here. If you've got the math chops for engineering there's really no point to taking CS. You'll be learning languages along the way anyways.
>>
"Tell me mister sister, what do you want to do with your life?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwrg0db_zY
>>
Being a CE graduate is like this.

Besides the average diversity shit, which I think just means you're standards are higher (white men need a >3.5/4 gpa, a 3 won't cut it unless you're Asian, or female can go as low as 2.5), you'll go into interviews and they'll ask questions or expect answers that you've never come across, because A, this shit boring and no one would study it in their free time, B, its useless as fuck if your team has good synergy, C, its only covered in CS and not CE.

So you say, okay, I'll apply for embedded and systems engineering jobs. Bad move, they're all senior positions and now you're on the interrecruitment company do not hire list. Besides, they're only hiring EEs.

So you keep competing against CS students, you keep battling the diversity faggots, you keep going at it but every rejection makes it feel a little more hopeless.
>>
CE is fucking miserable, desu

every EE class I've had to take as a CS major has made me want to kill myself

you better goddamn fall in love with doing circuits on paper because that's alllllll your undergrad life will be

I like to program, I like to make cool shit. I like to use cutting edge technology to make tomorrow's cutting edge technology

I don't like to de-fuck boolean algebra brain puzzles for six hours

CE = mega autists

CS = autists
>>
>>53497696
Majoring in CE I can confirm, we re all autist
>>
>>53497696
People like you are ruining my CE programme. Fuck you, programming is boring as fuck and only for poo in loo
>>
>>53495931
Berkeley right?
I'm betting Berkeley.
>>
>>53496081
>College is 60% the same for everyone - breadth courses in all sorts of random shit

Maybe in America. I'm in Canada and I've done 22 computer science courses, 16 mathematics courses and only 1 course outside of those two faculties (some shitty 1st year writing course). That one writing course was the only "general education" course that every major had to take. We had loads of electives - but you were free to use them in whatever you want, so I just took more CS courses with them.
>>
>>53496131

Maybe the requirements are different for math minors at different universities or something, since if I wanted one here I would need to take 12 math courses, yet almost every CS program I've seen only requires like 6 math courses. Although I have seen a (shitty) university where calc1-3, diff eq, linear algbera, discrete I was a math minor. Pretty ridiculous that you could get a math minor without any analysis or algebra courses.
>>
CS: surprising amount of people with personality problems. lots of people who look like richard stallman
CE: curry
EE: normies
no doubt this will vary from school to school.

Dual majors are a meme. you won't get paid more for having one so don't bother. You can learn the extra skills on your own time.
>>
>>53498435
This.

Plus the lower you got down that list, the better your math has to be.
>>
>>53495699
CE is the academic major that studies computers using math, physics, and EE. CS is for people too weak to pass advanced math or physics courses. Compare:

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're luck] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programing languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Convex Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others
>>
>>53498592
>>>/sci/
>>
>>53498592
>This guy again
>>
>>53495699
It wasn't listed as an opportunity but in case you over looked it: I recommend Software Engineering. I take all the CS classes as well as all the standard mathematics and engineering courses with a lot of design and architecture work on top. Its a bit of work but it is rewarding.
>>
CS if you wish to work on the academic/theoretical part of IT, CE if you wish to work on the practical side.
>>
File: 1391296076918.jpg (56 KB, 597x519) Image search: [Google]
1391296076918.jpg
56 KB, 597x519
As someone who did CE and learned to hate programming. I wish i did EE. Literally everyone in CE is just CS fags who are in the wrong major. I was always the one guy who knew what the fuck was going on in the engineering classes. I don't think i learned any programming from the required classes other than maybe verilogHDL but that's still engineering class.

>tfw doing network management for good money and hating every minute of it
>>
File: Hardest class in CS.png (423 KB, 490x684) Image search: [Google]
Hardest class in CS.png
423 KB, 490x684
>>53496131

No, ACM doesn't require any math beyond a joke discrete "math" course.

>Mathematics Requirements in Computer Science
>While nearly all undergraduate programs in computer science include mathematics courses in their curricula, the full set of such requirements varies broadly by institution due to a number of factors. For example, whether or not a CS program is housed in a School of Engineering can directly influence the requirements for courses on calculus and/or differential equations, even if such courses include far more material in these areas than is generally needed for most CS majors. As a result, CS2013 only specifies mathematical requirements that we believe are directly relevant for the large majority of all CS undergraduates (for example, elements of set theory, logic, and discrete probability, among others). These mathematics requirements are specified in the Body of Knowledge primarily in the Discrete Structures (DS) Knowledge Area.

>We recognize that general facility with mathematics is an important requirement for all CS students. Still, CS2013 distinguishes between the foundational mathematics that are likely to impact many parts of computer science—and are included in the CS2013 Body of Knowledge—from those that, while still important, may be most directly relevant to specific areas within computing. For example, an understanding of linear algebra plays a critical role in some areas of computing such as graphics and the analysis of graph algorithms. However, linear algebra would not necessarily be a requirement for all areas of computing. Similarly, while we do note a growing trend in the use of probability and statistics in computing (reflected by the increased number of core hours on these topics in the Body of Knowledge) and believe that this trend is likely to continue in the future, we still believe it is not necessary for all CS programs to require a full course in probability theory for all majors.
>>
>>53500424
The math requirements for CE is far higher

>http://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations

>The Computer Engineering Task Force makes the following recommendations with respect to the mathematical content of the computer engineering curriculum.
>Discrete structures: All students need knowledge of the mathematical principles of discrete structures and exposure to related tools. All programs should include enough exposure to this area to cover the core topics specified in the computer engineering body of knowledge.
>Differential and integral calculus: The calculus is required to support such computer engineering material as communications theory, signals and systems, and analog electronics and it is fundamental to all engineering programs.
>Probability and statistics: These related topics underpin considerations of reliability, safety, dependence, and various other concepts of concern to the computer engineer. Many programs will have students take an existing course in probability and statistics; some programs may allow some students to study less than a full semester course in the subject. Regardless of the implementation, all students should get at least some brief exposure to discrete and continuous probability, stochastic processes, sampling distributions, estimation, hypothesis testing, and correlation and regression, as specified in the computer engineering body of knowledge.
>Additional mathematics: Students should take additional mathematics to develop their sophistication in this area and to support classes in topics such as communications theory, security, signals and systems, analog electronics, and artificial intelligence. That mathematics might consist of courses in any number of areas, including further calculus, differential equations, transform theory, linear algebra, numerical methods, complex variables, geometry, number theory, or symbolic logic.
>>
>>53496044
>ameritard detected
That's an European wall plug, looks like Schuko.
>>
File: 1256409392482.jpg (26 KB, 562x512) Image search: [Google]
1256409392482.jpg
26 KB, 562x512
>>53500599
>POE
Is this really what yurops do?
>pls respond
>>
>>53495699
i suggest mechanical or civil engineering.
trump is bringing back the car industry and he'll be building more bridges.
>>
>>53500742
Are mentally unfit?
Can't you recognize etherkill?
What are you even doing on /g/ you /v/tard?
>>
File: 1361849519042.gif (2 MB, 328x328) Image search: [Google]
1361849519042.gif
2 MB, 328x328
>>53500761
>implying majority of cars in 10-20 years wont be electric
>civil "engineering"
>"mechanical engineers only design engines bro"
>>
File: 1347433388333.png (99 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1347433388333.png
99 KB, 480x480
>>53500779
Russia pls.
Honestly with the appropriate hardware this could be feasible.
>Ethernet through circuit modulation with standard plugs and appropriate hardware.

I don't get your shitty meme's m8.
The adults are talking here lil slugger, go play with your distro.
>>
>>53500821
>Modulating 240V @ 50 htz straight out of the plug to low power DC ethernet sockets

Back to /v/ with you.
>>
File: kanbaru.gif (276 KB, 500x433) Image search: [Google]
kanbaru.gif
276 KB, 500x433
>>53500599
>>53500742
>>53500821
>>53501087
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.