[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im about to install my first linux distort but I am stuck between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: images.png (2 KB, 200x59) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2 KB, 200x59
Im about to install my first linux distort but I am stuck between gentoo and arch linux.. Which one do you think would be best for a beginner in terms of learning? Also Should I use an installer like architect or just do it myself(I am open to doing it myself if it results in me learning more or a better outcome)?
>>
>>53488131
Hi dear friend,

These questions have been asked and answered about a billion times. The only answers you are going to invoke are stupid memes and Arch vs. other distros kind of pointless discussions.

I wouldn't want to discourage you from asking questions but being able to find the correct place to ask questions is also an ability you have to develop if you are doing your first linux installation.

In short, at least ask this question in Friendly Linux Thread.

Yours sincerely,
sage
>>
>>53488444
nice trips.
>>
>>53488131
> first time installing GNU/Linux
> wants to begin with arch or gentoo
kek
> whats the best in terms of learning
gentoo
> should i use an installer
i thought you want to learn something....
maybe you should just begin with a less complicate to install/set up distro and learn how to administrate a GNU/Linux system before trying to build one from scratch
>>
File: 1448059609256_0.jpg (26 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1448059609256_0.jpg
26 KB, 600x450
>>53488131
>he fell for the Arch meme
>he fell for the Gentoo meme
Just install *buntu, you'll literally have no idea what you're doing if you install Arch or Gentoo
>>
>Arch
>Following instructions is learning
ayy lmao do people actually still fall for this meme?
>>
>>53491696
Actually it does, any minimal distros will force users learn things as they are not preconfigured
>>
>>53492948
Yes.
>>
File: 1454280448117.jpg (77 KB, 499x562) Image search: [Google]
1454280448117.jpg
77 KB, 499x562
>>53488444
>stupid memes
You asked for it
>>
File: chuck_norris_approves.gif (2 MB, 387x251) Image search: [Google]
chuck_norris_approves.gif
2 MB, 387x251
Start with Trisquel (Ubuntu based) for easy mode.

Experiment with Parabola (Arch based) in a VM until you're comfortable with it.

Both of these are Stallman approved.
>>
>>53493685
ayy
>>
>>53488131
I'm so deep into the memes, that the memes take away my memes and now I use memed OS and works and all that that not even the dankest of the memes make of meme.
>>
>>53488131

Memoirs (going to be one long run-on paragraph): I was in the same position a few years ago. I took a rigorous approach so I literally tried everything. Arch, Ubuntu, Mint, BSDPC, BSD firefly, lunar linux, FreeBSD, probably some others (etc.). I had free time on my hands to really read documentation and what not and go through each process, Its what I was doing to get off playing video games and at least do something that added to my skill set. My background was from mathematics and statistics, also actuarial science. I really didn't have experience with any linux things at the time and I had just since graduated from college (I'd use some linux machines but it was pretty much SSH into <some box> and <launch some sql client> to learn how it did (USE PUTTY!); but I did have a solid coding background and... a lot of frustration with windows... and that just wasn't going away. So I decided to explore some other possibilities (this was 6 years ago).
>>
>>53495015

TLDR; SUGGESTIONS: Honestly; start with arch first. You will suck at it at it and wont know what the fuck anything is. But, in contrast, it isnt like lunar or BSD. Similar, yet simpler. The beginners guide is really straight-forward (fuck, its amazing now adays compared to 6 years ago; hell, the damn thing is current with recent rolling releases as well) as a general guide and its properly descriptive on a general sense.

What I learned from setting up and using linux systems for a few years has given me a significant professional edge which I would not have learned using ubuntu or some simple distribution. (Data Scientist profession and not the joking kind, I need to build custom systems to maintain the algorithms and visualization mechanisms I need in order to deliver {now}, doing arch made this a breeze). Though I did set up a ubuntu 'server' for a thing early on but it was all command line. If I started with arch I would of had SUCH an advantage. I tried arch literally after I tried installing Lunar linux which is entirely compiled (runs faster... if you know how to pick what you need in terms of source code, customized for your machine {better to just get multiple machines and do distributed processing} )
>>
>>53488131
install both in a vm and decide which you like better
>>
>learning
Learning what? How to piss away time?

The OS is supposed to be transparent to run your apps to get whatever job it is you need done. If you didn't have a task in the first place, then it becomes "waste as much time as possible" and I do dearly insist you'll succeed at that. Go for ubuntu or fedora instead
>>
>>53488131
If you want to understand Linux deeply and fundamentally I suggest Gentoo following the handbook. Don't use their installer.
>>
>>53492948
learning to type pacstrap is completely useless knowledge
>>
Gentoo from stage1
>>
In mother Russia ganoo/linux breaks you
>>
>>53497191
It's reading the post install recommendations that you learn about your system, fucking idiot.
>>
>>53493685
I actually spoke to this guy via websocket.
He came onto a Discord server asking for a bot that will ban trolls from his Twitch chat.
I just spammed those videos and he became pissy and left, he's actually a pretty normal dude now.
>>
>>53488131
Remember, copypasta from arch wiki to your system makes you a superior user than those who answer questions in an installer. Arch master race for life.
>>
>>53488131
Get chakra, its a decent Arch fork and its good for begginers.
>>
>>53488131
>first linux distro
>arch or gentoo
goodluck
>>
>>53491696
Do you not follow your teacher's instructions in school?
>>
>>53499443
>No firefox
>No gimp

>>>>Because no gtk allowed
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.