[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think about modular phones?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: o-ARA-facebook.jpg (185 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-ARA-facebook.jpg
185 KB, 2000x1000
What does /g/ think about modular phones?
>>
>>53483171
Are they a thing yet?
>>
>>53483201
project ara getting released this year, probably will be.
>>
>>53483171
More expensive, bigger, heavier, more likely to fly into pieces if it hits something. I can see how it would interest nerds who grew up upgrading their PCs (I'm one of them), but personally not very interested for the same reason I don't care about upgradeable laptop parts.
>>
File: phonebloks_th.gif (941 KB, 393x356) Image search: [Google]
phonebloks_th.gif
941 KB, 393x356
>>53483171
Not interested.
>>
>>53483171
as
>>53483243

a configurable phone with the same options would do the job
even nerds would probably change things rather little, and as most of the people that now some shit changed a display or stuff anyway, a phone for which upgradable components are realeaed would be enough imo
>>
>>53483171
modular botnet
>>
>>53483243
>More expensive

the first prototype was 100$
>>
in regard to wasting resources, it would be better than a normal phone, because you only have to replace a small part instead of the whole phone. But i don't think average phone users care about that.

They would buy a modular phone to be extra kewl (comparable to google glass)
>>
>>53483171
The average user probably wouldn't care.

Having this tech on a laptop is easier and makes more sense.
>>
>>53483243
>bigger, heavier
Unless you are talking about pre-mid 90's cellular phones this has never been a valid complaint. With PDAs and beepers this complaint was invalid too. I do not understand why people now days want products so thin they break from minor drops.
>>
>>53483171
I was recently at a tech conference and a Google employee let me hold his Project Ara phone. It's everything you read about. I'd buy one in a second.
>>
Novelty, will most likely end the same way as Google Glass and smartwatches (or even older Nexus phones). Some geeks will buy it, it will quickly get out of support, there will be no parts besides stock ones. Normal smartphones will provide better quality and performance for lower price.
>>
>>53483617
Google Glass failed because it makes you look like a retard and the price was too high for the market. No one wants to spend 1500$ for that shit.

Also smartwatches are legit.
>>
I'm only interested in changing the camera or processor.
Maybe flash storage if they put that in modules.
>>
What are they going to run? Android?
>>
>>53483775
> Google
> phone
wtf else would they run
>>
>>53483787
gentoo
>>
Ask yourself why modular laptops arent a thing and you will know why modular phones will never be a thing also.
>>
>>53483171
Delete this.
>>
>>53483978
Because most manufacturers would rather push devices with limited usage and planned obsolescence. Google are rich and don't give a fuck so they'll see how modular really goes.
>>
Can I actually make a 4.5 inch phone with great specs like that? If no then I am not interesting.
>>
>>53484462
>4.5

manlet pls go
>>
>>53484474
>Muh 5 inch minimum phablets
Do you also carry a purse with you all the time just to put your oversized phablet inside you colossal faggot?
>>
>>53484474
I'd prefer if it was 4.0" or 4.2", I got a tablet already, anything inbetween is junk.
My phone should be small, light and only used for a quick lookup of RSS feeds.
My tablet is for sitting down and reading.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.