[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Printers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: tmp_5929-c04293028-1658341368.png (60 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5929-c04293028-1658341368.png
60 KB, 320x240
I'm in the market for a new printer and was wondering what printes /g/ uses. I was going to get the officejet 6812 in the pic until I read the bad reviews on amazon. A few things I'm looking for is wireless, economical and linux compatibility.
>>
>>53479305
I was into the hp printer because of their XL cartridges. Probably won't be doing a lot of printing but it'd be nice to know I wouldn't be running out of ink so quickly.
>>
I just buy a new Epson printer for 40 bucks everytime it runs out of ink.
Cheaper that way.
>>
>>53479354
About right too. Why the fuck is ink so damn expensive anyways?
>>
File: acrobat scanning.webm (3 MB, 1204x872) Image search: [Google]
acrobat scanning.webm
3 MB, 1204x872
get a multifunction with a doc feeder. makes scanning a lot of stuff easier.
>>
HP has the best driver support for Linux. Honestly go with a Laserjet since you're not printing a lot. I like my P1102w, I've only replaced the toner once since I've owned it.
>>
File: Canon MF4690.jpg (34 KB, 404x500) Image search: [Google]
Canon MF4690.jpg
34 KB, 404x500
>>53479305

Spend extra buck it's well worth it.

Have Canon MF4690 and it's first printer I'm completely satisfied with and I had many.

Think you'll do better with used high end printer than with new cheap one as long as page count is under 100k.
>>
>>53479887
are you auto scanning a book?
>>
>>53480136
I wish I could go with a laserjet, but I also need color printing as well as a scanner.
>>
Apparently a few of hp's printers have a known printhead issue.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04839288
>>
>>53480136
hplip is one reason I'm wanting to stick with hp.
>>
>>53479420

About 40 different reasons.

Ink is a complex cocktail of chemicals. Dyes, finishers, sealants, minerals, etc. Then every time the EPA or other environmental agency whines about saving the earth, all the manufacturers have to do some shit to show they're "progressing towards a healthier earth" or some shit and put less of one chemical or another into their inks, which means that the 2016 printers gets a different inkset from the 2014 printers, and that means the supply line gets even more choked up, shit gets more complicated, and in general, nobody wins. Not even the planet, since it's not consumer ink and paper that matters, it's businesses' ink and paper consumption, and they're usually exempted on technicalities of one sort or another. So their 20-year old Xerox can keep using a heavy-metal toner, but your 2015 printer has a new ink system that HP just made to make the EPA happy, that costs $60 to print text on 550 pages.
>>
>>53480319

They make color AiO laser machines.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828415823
>>
>>53480379
Thanks for the explanation, anon.
>>
>>53480405
Neat, but a little expensive for home use. Thanks for the info though.
>>
>>53480463

You either pay the money upfront for a printer, or you pay it down the line. It's like a cheap German Sports Sedan. It's cheap for a reason. Cheap Printers don't allow you to replace important components (print heads, ink-lines, compressors, rollers, etc) that wear, cost more to print per page in ink, and more time troubleshooting idiotic issues with setting paper type because it thinks it's a photo-printer.
More expensive, office-oriented, printers allow you to replace important components (Officejet 8500 is one of my favorite Officejets, as it's print heads are split into two replaceable components, and the inkwells are mounted separate of the carriage to reduce component wear overtime. Plus, standard sized ink-tubes, and compressor is cheap to replace), cost less to print per page due to larger volume ink-wells, and allow for even just basic-driver installs that mean no fiddling with proprietary software to setup things like feed options or Fax if you don't need to.
>>
>>53480911
Dubs don't lie, but I need something affordable for now. Will definitely look into something like that for when I do have the extra cash.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.