[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Computers Not Letting You Replace OS Or Boot From Disc/USB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: 1457877508106.gif (1 MB, 350x285) Image search: [Google]
1457877508106.gif
1 MB, 350x285
Does anyone find that modern laptops don't let you put new OSes on them, or even boot from a CD/USB?

I've fiddled with three computers of a different brand in three different cities and states, and NONE of them allow you to boot from CD/USB in the BIOS. They all had the option to, but no way to select it. HP and Acer.

Apparently, other have this same problem, and some have found ways to remedy it, but most can't. I've tried for hours, as well as trying some "remedies" that others have found successful, with no avail. Some on HP boards say that a BIOS "flaw" is in many of their new laptops that don't allow CD/USB booting.

I'm starting to think it's a mass conspiracy seeing as I've tried so many in DIFFERENT STATES. Anyone know of any reliable brands of modern laptops that are under $300 that allow you to boot from USB/CD and replace the OS?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
SecureBoot, faggot. Turn it off.
>>
>>53471684
turn secureboot off, enable legacy boot.

You are a pleb.
>>
>>53471981
>>53471998
Done those both on two of them multiple times with no success. The third one wouldn't even let you turn SecureBoot off.
>>
>>53472043
>Done those both on two of them multiple times with no success. The third one wouldn't even let you turn SecureBoot off.
Throw them right into the trash, where they belong. Set fire to the trash bin for good measure.
>>
>>53472043
uefi doesn't allow bootable sticks/cds, i had the same shit
>>
>>53472043
some notebooks need an admin bios password to turn off secureboot.

note that the turn off secureboot is notional in windows 10. Soon consumer notebooks will be stuck with the OS they are installed with.
>>
>>53472092
Which brand? So you're essentially permanently stuck with the OS it came with? Do all new laptops have UEFI? Which brands don't, if any? Also, why does it list the option to boot from CD/USB if it doesn't allow it? (The ones I used all had that option, despite not letting you.) Is America retarded? Nothing works here nowadays.

>>53472104
Didn't have any indication of a password on the one that wouldn't let SB turn off. Where might one find the password? They were fresh out of the box, if that's of any relevance.
>>
>>53472181
You need to set an administrator password to even let you remove SecureBoot.
On my Asus, I had to set a password, then back up the SecureBoot files and remove the files from the bios before it could be disabled. Surely someone else on the fucking Internet has done this before to that laptop. You think of yourself as a nerd or a computer geek, but you are just a fucking pleb.
>>
What sickens me is the fact that kids these days don't even know what a BIOS is
>>
>>53472327
>>53472327
I actually think of myself as an average citizen who has a reasonable expectation of not having a laptop come with a permanent OS on it with no way to change it. But thanks anyway, senpai.
>>
>>53472427
>average citizen
>buys laptop and expects to be able to change OS
Pick one
>>
>>53472043
Microsoft specifies that x86 (aka non-tablet) manufacturers are allowed to provide functionality to disable SecureBoot at their own discretion.
Obviously if you buy a shitter Acer, HP, or whatever-the-fuck generic consumer model by literally any manufacturer, expect them to cut corners.

Business laptops are the premium line that never gets fucked with.
>>
>>53472483
I installed linux on my shitty acer laptop without any problems

Disabling legacy bios is not how you """""cut corners"""""
>>
>>53472381
that's because they've replaces the BI/OS system with EFI, faggot.
>>
>>53472483
>>53472483
Do you know of any modern <$300 or $400 maximum laptops that, out of the box, let you boot from USB/CD. (Business laptops or standard ones?) Do pretty much all non-business ones (off the shelf) screw you over in terms of what you're saying?
>>
>>53472092
What are you on about? I have 3 uefi machines, all of which I have booted a live usb and installed Linux. Just turn off secure boot and good to go
>>
>>53472712
>>53472712
Not him but I tried multiple times with Secure Boot off (probably 20-30) and it still wouldn't let me select boot from USB/CD. It actually wouldn't show a "select arrow" appearing next to the options, like it had on the hard disc option. I tried everything. Even if I went to the "boot options" window on startup, it would only list some network option rather than CD/USB. This was all with Secure Boot off, even though I also tried everything with Secure Boot on as well.
>>
>>53471684
You have to reformat your USB stick with software like Rufus
UEFI only boots from a GPT Fat32 drive
>>
>>53472782
Try with an empty hdd as well. When there's nothing else to boot from it might go to USB then
>>
The only PCs which don't have legacy boot are the new atom tablets, and even there you can disable secure boot everywhere.
>>
>>53472858
No, it wouldn't let me SELECT to boot from a CD or USB. I could have any ready to boot, and it would not let me select anything. I remember even pushing every single button on the keyboard to get the select arrow to go from HDD to CD or USB, without Secure Boot on. Nothing worked.

>>53472867
Tried that too even though I don't remember what happened (this was months ago). There was no success. I just eventually read that there was a "glitch" or "error" with a batch of laptops' BIOS/UEFI/whatever and guessed that was the problem until I eventually ran into a different computer that wouldn't even let you turn off SecureBoot no matter what you did (tried for a few hours).
>>
>>53472963
Go into the UEFI setting and turn off fast boot.
>>
Lenovo has a uefi lock that won't allow USB boot. Pain in the ass to get around. Then the legacy mode throttles shit.
>>
>>53472993
>legacy mode throttles shit.
elaborate
>>
>>53472985
>>53472985
I don't have the laptop anymore, this was months ago. However, I had tried everything multiple times (probably at least 20 every which way, not even kidding). If that option was there (though I don't recall it), I tried it. Nothing worked. I spent a total of six hours on the first (that wouldn't let me select CD/USB) and spent about two or three hours on the one that wouldn't let me even turn off SecureBoot.
>>
>>53473105
Have you done this:
>>53472858
>>
>>53472993
>Lenovo has a uefi lock that won't allow USB boot
No,but you do have to enter the UEFI and select the stick there,then save the change and restart. It's fucking retarded but tht's what works on my Ideapad.
>>
boobs
>>
Make it even harder to escape the botnet. Creepy.
>>
>>53473072
From my understanding legacy boot is has many similarity to an emulator. In fact when a person was explaining the "brilliance" of how it worked over so many hardware systems by ... blah blah blah ... my first statement was "oh, it's like a low level emulator" at which point I was quickly corrected that is was a free layer of virtual space where old BIOS software can operate.

So it is basically an emulator, but with more modern terminology, so it is totally not an emulator with additional processes that slow things down and may even have an addition artificial limiter.
>>
>>53473768
Since modern operating systems are not using the BIOS for anything after they booted, there shouldn't be any performance issues.
>>
>>53471684
Yes, I started having these issues when EFI started coming out. People kept telling me it was a security feature and I could just turn it off if I wanted. However turning it off didn't always work and the procedure to do so has became more and more complex.

I have even had cases of an OS (OS X Lion) updating my firmware which undid my setup and locked me out of a number of things. Now some other people's computers which I helped setup have done the same thing with a completely different OS (Windows 10).

It is like the operating system is locking down the hardware at first install. Sure it is more secure, but as a root admin with all password access I should be able to override these things, yet I find more and more cases where I can't.

I am now finding articles supporting the idea of locking in the OS the device ships with for some setups. The ones listed are often lower end models as they up charge the option to change your OS as an "extra feature". When a marketing representative told me this my instincts instantly told me to punch him. The fools I talk with tell me just chill because if I want that extra feature I can still buy it.
>>
>>53471684
Acer C720, look up the sflc guide to dechroming and fix suspend via archwiki's Chrome OS page's grub lines
>>
If it gets too bad, someone will invent a way to highjack a running windows system and install it over the top while it's still running.

Hasn't been done before except on consoles.
>>
>>53471684
> install VM on default OS
> install gentoo
> start VM with OS
> gentoo installed
>>
>>53471981
Turning off secure boot voids the warranty, even though it's software.
Heck, my device even has a hardware jumper in place to lock the secure boot and you can't open the case without voiding the warranty. They have gone too far.
>>
>>53471684
Look up brand of laptop. If in dought, Go to your operating system's forum. If no help arrives, Call your manufacturer. If no help comes from the OEM trade the computer.
>>
>>53472043
Turn on legacy boot that's what let me boot from external on my laptop
>>
Just use clevos with accessible AMT bioses

EZ
>>
>>53471684
Bump
>>
>>53471981
It's funny how they don't even say how to do this in the manual (well pamphlet) that comes with the laptop.
So you end up having to go searching online for the magic key sequence.
>>
>>53472483
This sounds like something a jew would say, to earn more shekels.
If you want me to pay more, you'll have to actually provide real value. Otherwise I'l just return the shitty merchandise, or even do chargeback on my credit card.
>>
>>53472635
I just bought a $300 HP craptop, and you can do wtf you want after turning off the secure boot shit.
>>
>>53471684

All laptops allow this. Even my shitty 7'' tablet lets me do clean Win installs.

You just don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>53471900
I would if I could
>>
>>53474620
At that point I just say fuck Intel shit and start using ARM SBC instead, or even that MIPS laptop Stallman likes.
>>
>>53472043
Is this even legal?
>>
>>53471981

you're supposed to edit the derp shit and select the option which prompts you to allow whatever derp loader to be added to the derp database for secure derp

i had a gigabyte board which allowed you to do this, but it mysteriously died
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.