[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ebook Reader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: never_the_same.jpg (92 KB, 400x475) Image search: [Google]
never_the_same.jpg
92 KB, 400x475
Had an old Kindle before it was fucked up. Now iam thinking about a new reader. What does /g/ think... which is best
>>
>>53471322
I got a Kobo Glo a couple of years back.

It's pretty nice. I haven't finished more than like ~15 books with it though since I prefer books on real paper.

Main reason to get a Kobo instead of something like a kindle is that it seemed a bit more tinker-friendly and I would have had to import a Kindle if I wanted one.

If I were you I'd see if any big electronics store nearby have kindles, kobos and sony's out for display so that you can figure out which one you like best yourself.
>>
I really hate how they messed up the kindle. why would I want a touch display...
>>
>>53471501
Are there even any modern readers without touch screens?
Proper buttons to turn the pages and a backlit screen are all I ask...
>>
>>53471501
This. I wish that modern ebook readers still had physical buttons. The can keep the capacitive screens, it's nice for clicking on the book you want to launch from a grid or whatever, but the physical buttons seem way better for just turning pages.
>>
>>53471532
>>53471547
Ask/look on mobileread.com I think they mentioned some smalltime niche readers like that.
>>
>>53471532
the kindle voyage lets you turn pages by squeezing the side of the device. it feels pretty good
>>
>>53471587
Yeah, found those forums pretty fast after getting my Kobo. Good little community.
>>
>>53471741
neat

I hate how they removed the progress bar from the book list. Fucking amazon.
>>
>>53471741
I read that the Voyage has problems with the lighting or rather that there are build quality problems with many units.
How accurate is this information?
>>
I'm using an old 4th generation Kindle, does the job nicely and has physical buttons. Picked it up on eBay for £15 delivered.
I like reading by lamp light so no real need for backlight, although I would like the option.
>>
>>53471959
I read about the lighting issues (mainly about a color gradient issue) and got one anyway, I've checked mine pretty closely and haven't been able to see any problems with the backlight, no gradient that I could see. Build quality is really good. Maybe I got lucky with mine.
>>
>>53471322
any particular reason you're thinking of getting a dedicated reader instead of say a general purpose tablet with calibre or something simmilar?
>>
File: 20160313_164646-1.jpg (1003 KB, 1152x1674) Image search: [Google]
20160313_164646-1.jpg
1003 KB, 1152x1674
Kobo senpai
Mine fucking broke while in my bookbag though. Feels bad
I loved it before though. No drm bullshit and I could just drag files and read them
>>
>>53471547
Nook still has physical buttons.

Pretty much the only ebook reader thats ergonomic imo.
>>
>>53472319
Reading on a tablet is kinda sucky due to battery life issues. The nice thing about an ereader is you can just leave it on the table or nightstand for weeks and pick it up when you want to read something without having to worry about charging it. Also reading in bright light is not fun on a tablet
>>
>>53472319
Thats like recommendibg people asking which console to buy, to buy a gaming laptop.
>>
>>53472404
>>53472400
sorry dudes, I've never used either and I thought the simmilar form factor meant simmilar capabilities. personally if I'm reading anything not an actual physical book, I just read it on my desktop. I"m not really big on using electronics in public and see no point in getting myself a reader for just at home
>>
>>53472438
Fact is, cheaper tablet screen is nothing compared to an e-ink screen. The latter is so easy on the eyes, just like reading normal paper, no glare so u can actually read outside.. Whole different beast compared to a tablet screen. Not to mention the amazing battery life.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.