[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Forget Java. Which is a better language, C# or Kotlin? Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: c-sharp-vs-kotlin.png (54 KB, 640x238) Image search: [Google]
c-sharp-vs-kotlin.png
54 KB, 640x238
Forget Java. Which is a better language, C# or Kotlin? Which do you like more, /g/?
>tfw declaration-type variance
Feels nice.
>>
Scala
>>
>>53468739
If they opened it and .NET from the start, C# would be #1 language today.
>>
>>53469098
this. Kotlin looks nice but it runs on the JVM.
>>
>>53468739
Java.
>>
>>53469005
ciao tiziano
>>
>>53469130
How is that bad? The JVM is by all means more advanced than the CLR (better JIT, better GC) and also has more libraries.
>>
Groovy.
>>
>>53468739
don't be delusional , C# is way more mature even if i'm a jetbrains fanboy

Still those 2 are irrelevant since C/C++ is the master-race
>>
>>53469545
Version 3.0 is nowhere to be seen. Grails has lost the momentum. Outside of Gradle it really looks like Groovy's dying.
>>
>>53469576
>irrelevant
You keep using that word.
>>
>>53469579

3.0 came out last year. Grails is still widespread throughout the industry (Google, Twitter, Netflix, etc). Gradle is only growing.

Clearly you're up-to-date on the industry. :^)
>>
>>53469545
this is pretty much the only right answer
>>
>>53469643
>3.0 came out last year
No, it didn't. They've even removed the roadmap from http://groovy-lang.org/ that mentioned Groovy 3.0.
>still widespread
"Still widespread (but no one uses it for new projects)" is the definition of software losing momentum.
>Clearly you're up-to-date on the industry. :^)
NO U
>>
Ceylon.
>>
>>53469521
JVM isn't necessarily bad, it just has a rocky future with growing tensions between the developers working on the core Java language at Oracle and the suits at Oracle. Expect a big divide between the OpenJDK and Oracle JDK and their respective run times and virtual machines.

That being said, start up time for any of the JVM languages can be pretty bad.
>>
>>53469098
yup.

If Microsoft have taken the full .NET framework and had it on Windows, OS X and Linux from the start it would be the most widely used language without a doubt. Microsoft really fucked up with their "windows only" idea. Now they are trying to get there money making software onto everything else.

I feel they also fucked up not making the WinRT/Universal platform multi-platform. Imagine if they had a platform that they can sell software that runs on OSX, Windows, Linux, Android, etc. easily. It would have destroyed the Apple App Store and Play Store.
>>
I feel dirty writing serious software projects (e.g. anything more complex than temperature convertor) in languages that aren't compiled and have heavier-than-C-family memory and CPU footprints. Just... why? The syntax isn't that much better than your typical C-family/Rust/Swift/Go etc but the tradeoffs are massive. Why not just man up and learn a real programming language? The needed effort is minimal but and the reward is that you won't need a octocore Xeon and 24GB of RAM to run your shit.
>>
>>53469005
>>53469545
slow as fuck compared to Java
>>
>>53470615
Scala code isn't much slower than Java code. It only takes long to compile.
>>
>>53470591
>>53470591
>I feel dirty writing serious software projects (...) in languages that aren't compiled and have heavier-than-C-family memory and CPU footprints
Judging by what follows you almost certainly haven't worked on a serious software project.
>The syntax isn't that much better
It's not the syntax that matters, it's the libraries and how long it takes to ship your software.
>C-family/Rust/Swift/Go
That's a pretty damn nonsensical grouping. GC and non-GC languages are in different niches with limited overlap. No, <1000 SLOC command line utilities don't count as significant overlap.

Lurk moar and RTFM.
>>
>>53470591
Both C# and Kotlin are compiled languages.

And there are a lot of reasons why you would use a managed language, not something superficial like syntax. A big one is portability.
>>
Why can't there be language that is statically typed, memory managed that doesn't run on virtual machine and has easy way to cross compile?
>>
>>53470615
>>53470658
what about Clojure?
>>
>Not using Intelij Idea for everything
>>
>>53471375
Go, if you don't mind its halfhearted attempt at a type system. Also, OCaml and Standard ML, but those have no libraries.
>>
>>53468739
> Using a language tied to a proprietary software organization
> Branding it with reference to an IDE
> Visual C#
> Visual
>>
>>53471447
That's complicated. In theory, Clojure should be slower than Scala because it can't do the same type-based optimizations. However, in practice FP code in Scala has been claimed to cause more GC pressure than the equivalent Clojure code, making Clojure the faster of the two. Regardless, Clojure is still miles ahead of other untyped languages like Python, Ruby, JavaScript or Erlang/Elixir.
>>
>>53472234
>Microsoft Visual C# is Microsoft's implementation of the C# specification, included in the Microsoft Visual Studio suite of products
>>
>>53472733
That's not really the case. The public specs are all out of date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)#Versions
>>
>>53472780
What's your point? It just so happens that Microsoft's implementation (Visual C#) is on the latest version
>>
>>53472804
Isn't it obvious? You can't call Visual C# "an implementation of the C# specification" if there is no public specification, which for C# 6.0 there isn't.
>>
>>53472850
eat shit and die M$ shill
>>
>>53472901
You replied to the wrong post.
>>
>>53470539
But that would mean that less people would use windows ,wouldn't it?
>>
>>53472692
>Clojure is still miles ahead of other untyped languages like Python, Ruby, JavaScript or Erlang/Elixir.
hipster languages are obvious, but is Erlang really that slow? everything I could find about its performance was actually about the concurrency support
>>
>>53473068
Yes. Number crunching in Erlang is especially painful (e.g., https://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/erlang.html). I haven't done it myself, but from what I've read developers get around this by writing port drivers or nodes in C.
>>
>>53472920
>>53473068
Regardless of the answer, Erlang shouldn't be in that grouping on comparisons anyway. It has entirely different use cases that cater specifically to its nature and in which its downsides don't apply.

I also wouldn't use it for things outside of its wheelhouse.
>>
>>53473156
>Erlang shouldn't be in that grouping on comparisons anyway
I think that is wrong. Erlang competes with JVM languages like Clojure and scripting languages like Python when it comes to developing web server software.
>>
>>53472920
For Windows 10 they are betting on getting revenue from app sales and not OS sales. Yeah they will get a few bucks here and there from OEMs but at the end of the day most people got the OS for free through the upgrade process.

For Universal Applications(that run on the Windows Phone, XBoX, and Windows) they can only be acquired through the app store unless the user sets up their desktop as a development/testing box. So no steam, origin, $otherstore copies of those programs.
>>
>>53473281
I wonder if there will be money for the small dev on the Windows Store. There doesn't seem to be anything like the iPhone gold rush so far.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.