[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Isn't true freedom having the choice to install any software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: rms.jpg (46 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
46 KB, 620x413
Isn't true freedom having the choice to install any software you want?

Aren't these Stallman-approved GNU/Linux distros really just enslaving you in a Freedom-enforced bubble?

>Literally censoring access to software we don't like
>>
I'm sorry, I meant Gtrue+Freedom
>>
>>53463904
Well if you want to run other software you can just run an OS that isn't FSF approved. The point of the FSF approved operating systems is that you can run it completely without using proprietary software.
>>
File: 1447421745223.jpg (258 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
1447421745223.jpg
258 KB, 675x900
>listening to RMS
>ever
>>
>>53464088
ah, so you're one of those idiots who disregards everything of someone just because of one thing, despite the fact that that one thing has nothing to do with anything else.
>>
>>53463904
>censoring access
You can install whatever software you want, add whatever repository you want, download whatever source, binary, .deb, whatever you want.

The ONLY difference between FSF approved distros and the other distros are that FSF approved distros
1) don't come with proprietary software pre-installed
2) don't come with proprietary software in the default repos
>>
The GPL: Your freedom ends where Richard Stallmans mental illness begins.
>>
File: 1426359247147.jpg (297 KB, 1200x1500) Image search: [Google]
1426359247147.jpg
297 KB, 1200x1500
>>
File: rms-disgust.jpg (59 KB, 585x600) Image search: [Google]
rms-disgust.jpg
59 KB, 585x600
>>53464207
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you proprietary slave? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at Harvard, and I’ve been involved in numerous free software projects, and I have contributed to over 300 core-utils for GNU. I am skilled in Lisp and I’m St. IGNU-cius, saint of the Church of Emacs. You are nothing to me but just another unethical non-free software advocate. I will distribute the fuck out of your source code with freedom the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about me and the GPL on the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my colleagues at FSF and your binaries are being reversed engineered right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your copyright. You're fucking dead, kid. Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2. Not only am I extensively skilled at C hacking, but I have access to the source of the entire GNU userland and core-utils and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable proprietary code off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what ethical retribution your little “clever” program was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have ensured your users' freedom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit free as in freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>53463904
>Aren't these Stallman-approved GNU/Linux distros really just enslaving you in a Freedom-enforced bubble?
Not really. While Stallman and the FSF are pretty fanatical about Free Software - to the point where they honestly believe 100% Free Software is more important than the computer actually working and doing what you want it to - they only encourage people to use the software they approve and only the software they approve, they do not and can not force anyone to do anything. (Except strictly as it relates to violations of the GPL and similar in software they've copyrighted.)
>>
>>53463904
To have freedom one must ensure that freedom gets passed on
>>
>>53463904
well, you are free to enslave your soul to the devil and proprietary software
>>
>>53463904
Yes. Congratulations.
Can you tell us how long did it take you to realize this?
>>
>>53463904
Yes, they are essentially leftists.
>>
File: why_rms_sucks.jpg (190 KB, 1000x898) Image search: [Google]
why_rms_sucks.jpg
190 KB, 1000x898
>>53463904
Yup.
>>
>>53463904
There aren't any Linux distrubutions (that I'm aware of, anyway) that prevent you from installing any software you want.
>>
>>53463904
>Isn't true freedom having the choice to install any software you want?
Only if you consider a slave being able to choose his master a free person.
>>
>>53463904

Yes

>Aren't these Stallman-approved GNU/Linux distros really just enslaving you in a Freedom-enforced bubble?

Stallman want to be the big fish in his artificially created small pond

>>Literally censoring access to software we don't like

What do you expect from a communist jew?
>>
>>53464273
fucking saved
>>
>>53463904
I am going to redpill you about the GPL.

Some cucks (among many we have) are trying to promote BSD, MIT, Apache and other licenses because they are hired by corporations that can make privative software thanks to those licenses by putting some closed source on top and fuck everyone else.

For example, Darwin is an operative system in which Apple collaborates with the "open source" community. Because it is a BSD derivative, Apple uses that operative system and put it some closed source bits and call it OS X.

Sure, you can use Darwin, but is crippleware, is of much lesser quality. And Apple is not even full fascist here, they at least have some degree of cooperation. Microsoft on the other hand in the 90's spread memos about how to fuck up Linux and the free as in freedom community. Is called "embrace, extend, extinguish". See for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

If you were in charge of Microsoft, and you had no ethics, what would you do knowing that you could harm the free software community just by reusing "open source" software in your favor, put some bells and whistles, and extinguishing the original product?

I beg you consider the GPL and LGPL over everything else. One can't possibly know what is being used under the hood of many privative software, and you never know when something "open sourced" sometime ago is now part of closed source software.

Even the LGPL, because you can have a fully functional application in LGPL which someone can cut off the interface, put a privative interface to it and deprecate any other interface by changing the API (systemd?).
>>
>>53463904
I would called the "Stallman-approved" distros more of a Free Software Foundation guarantee these distros are FLOSS through and through in content and design, in principle and in practice. Of course you can use other distros with the same FLOSS principles, but they don't make the list because such systems are not inherently committed to have a 100% FLOSS system.
>>
>>53464947
>implying software and liberty are the same

We don't demand car manufacturers to supply the schematics of the cars we buy. We don't require musicians to release sheet music of the songs they write.
>>
File: 1457269166960.png (386 KB, 672x503) Image search: [Google]
1457269166960.png
386 KB, 672x503
>>53463904
Sorry that i insulted you with my freedom Micro$hill.
>>
>>53464273
t. hightech prankster
>>
>>53466377
>We don't demand car manufacturers to supply the schematics of the cars we buy. We don't require musicians to release sheet music of the songs they write.

But we could. Maybe someday there will be an auto manufacturer that lets their customers print replacement parts. I'm getting horny just thinking about the freedom.
>>
>>53464273
Impressive rmseal pasta.
>>
>I want the freedom to choose to be a slave
>>
File: 20000keks.png (533 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
20000keks.png
533 KB, 459x612
>>53464273
>Free software can be anywhere, anytime, and it can ensure your freedom in over four ways, and that’s just with the GPLv2
Fucking lost

Good job, based anon.
>>
>>53463904
They're words on a Ganoo-slash-wobsite.
Software listed there are merely suggestions. They're not forcing you, they're merely trying to convince you and you have every right to say "No".
>>
>>53466377
>We don't demand car manufacturers to supply the schematics of the cars
We really should; there's a lot of potential shady shit that a car manufacturer could do
>We don't require musicians to release sheet music of the songs they write
Music can't do anything harmful to anybody, besides poor lyrics that would already be open to the public anyway
>>
>>53466377
>We don't demand car manufacturers to supply the schematics of the cars we buy.
We do though, and we also demand them to follow very specific security standards.

>We don't require musicians to release sheet music of the songs they write.
A song doesn't potentially install a backdoor on your system or delete your disk.
>>
>>53463904
Free software is about being control of what you run on your computer, so yes, they say you should be free to install any software you want.

No. All they do is not provide packaging for proprietary software. RMS and FSF-endorsed distros just choose not to provide the service of helping you install proprietary software by hosting repositories containing scripts to install nonfree software or nonfree software binaries. It makes sense that RMS and the FSF choose not to endorse or provide support for proprietary software.

There is nothing in particular about any FSF-endorsed distros which prevents you from installing proprietary software, other than them not actively assisting you in that. The only thing which could be said to do that is the package `vrms` on Debian (which isn't an FSF-endorsed distro anyway) which notifies the user of installed packages on their computer which appear to be nonfree, which is really only a tool to assist someone looking out to avoid proprietary software usage.
>>
>>53463904
Except, the RMS approval is literally just one dude with an opinion. True freedom is the capability to do what you want with your computer and also not do what you don't want.

RMS literally has no control over GNU, he intentionally gimped himself with his license so the user and community has the power. His only power is his opinion, which is respected because of the sacrifice.

RMS sacrificed his life's work so you can be free. You can choose whatever path you wish in life, RMS will not stop you, and he will always forgive you, and he will always be with you, in your user land and in your heart.
>>
>>53466377
It is legal to take apart and remachine your car though. Also the sheet music for a song is easily derivable in any case. The notes are the source code nigger.
>>
>>53466377
Music parodies and covers are legally protected under fair use, nigger.
>>
Crippling your OS in the name of freedom.
>>
File: 2016-03-13-162409_766x562_scrot.png (639 KB, 766x562) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-13-162409_766x562_scrot.png
639 KB, 766x562
>>53467581
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/08/17/432601480/diy-tractor-repair-runs-afoul-of-copyright-law
>>
>>53463904
If your not wearing the GANOO moral handcuffs than your wearing DIGITAL HANDCUFFS.
>>
>>53467635
Who the fuck writes those articles? They write like a fucking 3rd grader.
>>
>>53466377
>We don't demand car manufacturers to supply the schematics

That's because they already supply them for the most part. Chilton and Hayes make books on repairing your vehicle that are targeted at the end user. The manufacturer usually makes a repair manual for dealerships and professional repair shops. Every vehicle I've ever owned has had manuals published that contained way more information than I would ever need. They contain in depth information like how many electronic pulses per second the vehicle speed sensor sends for a given speed, what pressure the fuel should be if the fuel pump is working properly, and how to replace any part.

I wish my Linux distribution was documented half as well as my car. The official documentation is outdated and incomplete. The man pages are not easy to read and often are incorrect or incomplete. The info pages are usually just an exact copy of the man pages. Some times calling the command with a -h or --help flag gives you information the man doesn't and the man gives you info the --help doesn't. Then sometimes if you call the command with a command line option and --help you get information about the particular option that doesn't exist the man, --help, or info. Sometimes these sources contradict. Sometimes these sources contradict each other.

It's some times a clusterfuck to figure out how to do something in Linux. Meanwhile if I have the manufacturer manual I have all the information that exists about my car. It tells me where the timing belt is, what I have to remove to get to it, where every bolt is that I need to remove to get to it, what order to remove the stuff to get to it, what to do when I get to it, common ways to fuck it up while doing this, any possible way I could cause myself injury and how to avaoid it, how to put it back together, what order to put it back together, and even how much torque to use on the bolts when I put it back together.
>>
>>53464852
>english
>what is it
>>
>>53464145
This.
Hate the fuckers who do that.
>>
>>53468263
Something else Linux could learn about documenation from cars is troubleshooting guides. If my idle is running rough I can open up the manufacturer's manual and find a flow chart for that. It tells me the possible causes and how to determine which one is causing it. It then tells me how to fix it. Usually it gives me a page number to the procedure for replace part x. If something goes wrong in Linux I have to hope someone on the internet had the same problem and decided to write about it. Sure I have every line of source code available to me just like I have every nut and bolt available to me on my car. The problem is it would take longer for me to learn all of the programming languages and acquaint my self with the source code well enough to trace the problem than it would for me to reinstall the OS and download all the packages 1000 times.
>>
>>53463904
Still can't belive people don't free (no strings attached) software. Buy something that enslaves you, why? Mad world indeed.
>>
For god sakes who cares about freedom, I just want to install software that I can toy around with.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.