[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/ Currently I have six remotes in front of my TV and it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: Logitech_HarmonyCompanion.jpg (111 KB, 1000x1227) Image search: [Google]
Logitech_HarmonyCompanion.jpg
111 KB, 1000x1227
Sup /g/

Currently I have six remotes in front of my TV and it's driving my wife insane :
- TV
- Set-top box
- Blu-Ray player
- PS3
- HDMI source switch
- Sound bar
So I'm thinkining about getting pic related. Yay or nay?
>>
>>53462084
You should be thinking about switching something else, or maybe I am just lucky because mine lets that sort of shit fly because who uses most of it is my wife's son.
>>
>>53462084
give it back, george
>>
File: 1457820854266.jpg (52 KB, 427x798) Image search: [Google]
1457820854266.jpg
52 KB, 427x798
you need the one with the lil screen
>>
A universal remote would work fine but I agree with this Anon >>53462173 I'd rather make something like a HTPC that handles all the media needs and inputs. Excluding the game consoles of course, they'd still need to be somewhat independent.
>>
File: 2000817527.jpg (65 KB, 1064x864) Image search: [Google]
2000817527.jpg
65 KB, 1064x864
>>53462173
the main user for the TV is my wife

>>53462186
?

>>53462193
Is the screen really useful?
Sounds like those need to be charged every week where pic related needs a battery change every year
Also, fragility
>>
File: logitech-harmony-companion.jpg (196 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
logitech-harmony-companion.jpg
196 KB, 1024x768
>>53462224
>HTPC
Meh because fan noises, boot times, and yet another input device in front of the TV
>>
>>53462260
A few family members of mine have surround sound systems that are louder than my PC fans, SSD's are a thing as are low power chips like ARM that you could just leave in an idle state, also the idea behind a HTPC is to unify everything much like those remotes.

I don't mean to come off aggressive, just informative.
>>
File: logitech_harmony_companion_01.jpg (172 KB, 2013x1080) Image search: [Google]
logitech_harmony_companion_01.jpg
172 KB, 2013x1080
So basically the remote communicates with the hub thing via RF, so no more pointing. The hub emits IR in all directions to transmit commands. So I have a couple questions:

- My appliances are stacked under the TV. If I put the hub on top of one of them, will the IR be powerful enough to bounce from under the TV to the couch and back to the TV IR receiver?

- You can program "macros" with this thing, where the hub sends commands in sequence to the different things that need to be switched. However the scenarios are different whether the TV and soundbar are already on or not... Can this remote handle this?
>>
You guys think I should ask /tv/
>>
I've got a harmony remote and it's easier just picking up the original remotes because they each have unique layouts and special functions.
>>
>>53463903
The hub should come with two separate IR blasters. Generally the hub will work fine stand alone if you have it in a cabinet that's shut with your devices inside. If it's in open space, chances are you'll need to use the blasters.

Yes, the remote will be able to handle the macros just fine. Those top three buttons stand for "Listen to Music...Watch TV...Watch a Movie..." and they'll be able to switch accordingly depending on whatever your TV is currently doing as long as you just use the Harmony remote and no other remote.

Frankly, if you're not getting the one with the screen and you have open space I recommend just getting the Harmony 650 or 700 instead. Neither come with a hub/smart app and you must point them, but they're straight forward, work well and they have the screen which will help everybody use the remote (not just the people that live there). In addition, since you have more than three things you can Macro, you should use one that will let you do more than three macros. Screen one (and the 650/750 that cost 60bucks) do 16 macros.
>>
>>53465443
thank you for your insight.

I was looking at the 650 and 700 but they don't seem to be able to control my set-top box (which uses RF)
>>
>>53463903

Why don't they just make an "app" instead of these shitty controllers.
>>
>>53465616
the hub thing can be controlled via smartphone too
>>
> ps3 remote
wat
>>
File: PS3-Bluetooth-Remote.jpg (431 KB, 2800x2800) Image search: [Google]
PS3-Bluetooth-Remote.jpg
431 KB, 2800x2800
>>53467099
>>
I use lg g2 quick remote app
>>
>>53462227
it's a lil screen anon, who cares if it's useful
>>
You can also label them with sticky notes if you don't want to spend money
>>
>>53467683
/thread

Just go ahead and label everything in your house.
>>
Why the fuck you have a blu ray player and a ps3?

Its your own fault for being a tool
>>
>>53467709
I bought the BR player when the optical drive in the PS3 failed, dipshit
>>
>>53462084
>yay

It's yae you dope.
>>
>>53462224
The idea of the harmony remotes is the activity orientation.
>device-based RC
>want to watch TV
>select TV mode
>press power
>select STB mode
>press power
>select AMP mode(for AVR)
>press power
>have to verify if TV is on STB input, if not, change to TV and select proper input
>same thing for the AVR

>activity-based RC
>press "Watch TV"
>the remote automatically turns on TV, STB, AVR and switches to the proper inputs

>>53465603
Is your STB RF-only or does it have an IR sensor?(check the manual)
>>
>>53468367
thank you
I get the appeal of the activity-based RC, but my question was regarding how the thing knows if the TV is on already
For example: Movie mode would turn on the necessary equipment, but what if half of it was already on? (the TV)

My STB is RF-only (no IR possible)
>>
>>53469124
The harmony can use discrete commands[*1] if your device supports them, to control on-off states, and it keeps the state of the devices so it knows if they're on or off. Example: if you press "watch TV", it turns on TV and STB. If then you press "watch BD"(activity names are customizable), it knows the TV is on because it turned the TV on when you started the TV activity, so it only turns on your BD player, switches off STB and change the input to the BD player.
Anyway, if something goes wrong an the the remote loses the state of your devices, there's a help button to fix those issues.
[*1: discrete codes are codes that do specifically one function, like changing directly to an input without having to toggle between all sources or powering the device on without switching off if it's already on.]
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.