[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Few questions. I am a music producer among other sound shit on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: mark3.jpg (101 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
mark3.jpg
101 KB, 1024x682
Few questions. I am a music producer among other sound shit on PC (pre-built) I don't know much about hardware.

I have an i7 and 8gb RAM. It only gives me about 15 tracks before I start getting heavy lag, surely I should be expecting at least 20 to 30 right?

If I go for 16gb, will this fix this issue, or would it be something else?

I'm considering taking all my parts out and getting a new case so I can install some firewire ports and such. But I have no experience with any of this and need help.

Thanks /g/
>>
File: tearsintherain.png (87 KB, 242x206) Image search: [Google]
tearsintherain.png
87 KB, 242x206
>>53461406
bump please
>>
what are these tracks you're running
>>
>>53461637
audio?? I'm not sure what more you are asking for.
I try to bounce everything into .wav's when things start running slow but even so I need to run things digital all the time.
>>
>>53461675
oh so they are bounced
have you tried using asio4all as your driver and not your hardware as audio rendering, something like that

this is assuming you have a prebuilt and dont have anything else that functions as a sound card
>>
It's not the raw audio data, it's the pig-whale DAW you're using. Get 16GB RAM and make sure everything is going to SSD.
>>
>>53461406

16gb of Ram should do it F a m
>>
>>53461696
>>53461707
I use ASIO4ALL, I use a crummy lexicon 2-in/out sound interface at the moment.
I switch it up with DAW's, but on this particular computer I use FLS because I have access to better shit but don't own it.
>>
So the most common bottleneck for producing is actually ram, 8 is fine for casual screwing around in a DAW but once you get into big and spicy projects that's when you start suffering. Production uses RAM to store the sounds you use until it gets processed.

If you aren't comfortable with installing it yourself (ram installation is piss easy but if you aren't familiar with electronics than it can be intimidating) then get a computer shop to install 16 or 32 gigs of ram.

Otherwise buy a kit in your desired size (16 to 32 is good for producing), if you are using an oldish computer than its ddr3 ram or on your product information manual/sheet/look it up and Google how to install ram. Do not mix ram sticks, so you have to buy the entirety of the ram you need in the kit.
>>
>>53461755
15 bounced tracks in FL studio and you're having trouble? I'm not sure why that's happening at all, maybe Imageline broke something in an update
>>
Get a mac. Apple is the only vendor that doesn't have a fucked audio architecture.
>>
>>53461799
fun-fact win10 addressed this and although people hate it for obvious reasons, it turned FL into beast mode coming from win7
>>
>>53461799
This.

The only legitimate reason for an apple computer is that it is a good audio production machine. (if you get the high RAM versions.)
>>
>>53461823
wow really? is there no real way to get that kind of improvement while staying in windows 7? i dont want to reinstall all my VSTs upgrading to 10.
>>
>>53461855
Just get more ram desu windows is fine
>>
>>53461823
I installed Win 10 and from time to time I get some audio stutter, any idea what could it be?
Drivers? i keep updating to the latest realtek driver every few weeks or so but the problems still happens from time to time, it's like as if the PC was under very heavy load and the sound freezes for 1 second but it happens at random.
>>
>>53461855
>>53461874
this guy is right but if you want, you could build a new pc with the exact same components and install win10 to test the waters.

>>53461875
Maybe you need to optimise drivers again?
I upgraded and still had ASIO4ALL running but it had defaulted to it's original settings.
>>
File: 1457820099200.jpg (70 KB, 782x479) Image search: [Google]
1457820099200.jpg
70 KB, 782x479
>>53461406
get a ssd or a 10k rpm drive
>>
>>53462062
>bothering with a 10k SATA drive in 2016
>>
>>53462062
Why? What does that even mean?
I need quiet btw BUT it's not a must as I can tamper with the room
>>
>>53462154
Ssd is not mechanical so it's dead quiet. if you put your ear to the running computer the faint mechanical whirring is the hard drive. ssd is not mechanical so it doesn't whirr.

But that is not what you need, you need a ram upgrade.
>>
>>53462154
no matter how much ram you put in, it will eventually start caching to the drive.
>>
Get 16gb of ram and an SSD.
The ram will allow many more tracks before windows starts offloading the old ones onto a page file which causes lag
The SSD will increase the overall speed and keep things quiet
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.