[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
all memes aside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4
File: os-x-el-capitan.jpg (348 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
os-x-el-capitan.jpg
348 KB, 1920x1080
is this thing good or not
>>
>>53458813
it's ok
>>
>>53458818
vs win 10
>>
>>53458891
It's better by some margin. If you install a tiling window manager and treat it as a riced Linux install it can be a very good desktop OS thanks to its software catalog.
>>
>>53458891
compared to windows 10, yes by a mile.
>>
>>53458813
It's like Linux, except it's partially closed source and you have to buy overpriced hardware to run it.
>>
It's getting worse every patch, but it started out good
>>
I use it. Gets shit done.
>>
>>53459876
You're supposed to buy overpriced hardware to run it, but I bought components from that tonyosxmac site or whatever it's called and the installation process was less trouble than upgrading the Surface 3 Microsoft gave me to Windows 10 (that is to say, it was quick and pretty painless).
>>
i use it and like it.
>>
If you're a winbabby who can't be arsed to re-learn commands and shortcuts, you'll just say "IT SUCKS BCUZ IT DONT WERK LIKE DAT IN WINDOZE"

If you're a weeb ricefag that likes to shitpost and circlejerk in the desktop threads, you probably won't like it either.

If you use and like any of the popular Linux distros for work (not 4channing and ricing or gaymur shit), it's a decent choice. I like it, and I use it every day along with Debian.
>>
>>53459876
>overpriced hardware to run it

Nope.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/
>>
>>53459845

Stock tiling in El Capitain mate.
>>
>>53461979

This pretty much.

Fast and functional. Does the job well. Not for Gaymer kids, but great for professionals.
>>
>>53462187
how?
>>
>>53458813
>all memes aside
but it IS meme!?
>>
>>53462206

Push and hold the minimize button

You're welcome :)
>>
>>53462861

Sorry its the expand button - brain fart.
>>
>>53462891
thats just split fullscreen, can't even do quadrants
>>
>>53458813
>all memes aside
>posts meme
>>
All memes aside, yes.
It's for sure the best "general use" OS I have encountered this far.
>>
>>53463796
Go trim your neckbeard macfag shill.
>>
>>53463940
>macfag
>neckbeard
choose one.
>>
>>53458813
What I like the most about OS X is the following:

The quicklook preview pop-up you can launch by selecting most types of files in finder and pressing space.

The great support for high dpi/retina screens.

Spotlight search is great for finding files and launching programs.

The centralised system preferences. It's really above and beyond what any other OS has in ease of finding the setting you are looking for.

The trackpad and all the gestures that OS X supports is also very, very nice.
>>
I used Linux for years but my company bought me a macbook pro some years ago and honestly, I don't see why it gets the hate it gets. It's a solid Unix, it works great out of the box and the build quality is solid. Essentially you get a Unix without having to worry about managing packets and building shit yourself. So shortly put, I like it.

As an aside, one funny thing I've found is that most haters have never used one as their primary system so they don't really know what they're talking about.
>>
>>53463980
seconding the trackpad notion, macs have the best trackpads I've ever used by a very long margin.
>>
>>53464019
The latter goes for most Apple products.
Or they have used something like iPhone 3G and reference that experience to shitpost about the latest product.
>>
It's great
>>
>>53464019
>unix this unix that
It's a locked-down POS with a shit GUI you can't change, and shit overly simple software take the retarded file explorer for example. Unix doesn't specify that you should be able to rice anything related to the GUI, and that's what the shitty part of osx is.
>>
>>53464092
>It's a locked-down POS
projecting your experience with iOS on OS X makes you look retarded.
>>
File: 1456996144971.jpg (186 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1456996144971.jpg
186 KB, 800x800
>>
>>53464095
Go ahead, tell me how I get something as simple as a proper taskbar on osx. I'll be waiting.

You're right about ios being much much worse though. Why anybody would want that on their phone is beyond my comprehension, osx at least I can somewhat understand.
>>
>>53464140
Just because the UI doesn't tickle your autism doesn't mean the system is locked down.
>taskbar
But seriously, why?
>>
>>53464092
>>53464140

you can just run a different desktop environment and do what ever you want. you're another example of someone spurting shit without knowing anything about what you're talking about.
>>
>>53464177
Ok smartass, how do I install a "different DE" on osx? That's quite literally impossible.
>inb4 links to software that only adds shortcuts for window tiling

>>53464174
A dock is absolutely terrible for managing over 2 windows, if you ever had had over 2 windows of a program open at the same time you'd know that
>>
>>53464224
>quite literally impossible
>how does babby google basic shit
Can't tell if you're really this retarded or just trolling.
>>
>>53464224
>Ok smartass, how do I install a "different DE" on osx?
did you try google?
>That's quite literally impossible.
okay but did you try google?
>>
>>53464263
Your inability to link a single thing about changing the DE on osx is hilarious. Makes me wonder, which one of us is it who hasn't used osx?
>>
>>53464224
>how do I install a "different DE" on osx?
it's impossible. quite literally.
>>
>>53464289
>>53464292
sides = in orbit
>>
>>53464292
Doesn't get rif of the dock, doesn't qualify as a DE. At that point you're better off using linux than some hacky unsupported port.
>>
File: meme OS.webm (544 KB, 1764x1080) Image search: [Google]
meme OS.webm
544 KB, 1764x1080
>>53458813
Not even hobby distros are this shit.
>>
SAVE US BASED SCATMAN
>>
>>53464224
>A dock is absolutely terrible
I agree. Hide it, forget it exists.
>>
Compared to Windows:

Better font rendering
Better looks without having to do -shit-
Very few ways of getting infected
Has a package manager
Installing python is not a pain in the ass

Compared to linux:

Has the adobe suite
It's no more complex than Ubuntu
Has a few paid tools for shit you wouldn't think exists
Better defaults than many distros
Better animations than any DE at the moment
>>
>>53461979
Along with Debian?

Is Debian that different?
>>
>>53464224
thirded. I've used the dock on OS X, Ubuntu's Unity, Windows pseudo-dock pinned application, and a 3rd party dock for Windows. It was never good for managing many windows, specifically multiple windows of the same program. Windows taskbar set to never combine = the tits.
>>
>>53464739

Why not use app expose?
>>
>>53463973
No I choose both. Neckbeard macfag.
>>
Jokes aside, if someone came to me with a decent macbook for half its price, I'd totally buy that shit. Fuck the stigma.
>>
By far the best OS. Looks great, just works and allows you to do whatever you want. Also it's pretty light on resources and respects your privacy.

The only downside compared to Linux is probably the extra security since Le Capitan, which you can disable but shouldn't have to. The only downside compared to Winshit is obviously gaming.
>>
>>53465058
I bought a PC recently just for games.

Then got disappointed with a few of them. Then installed hackintosh for laughs. Now I'm dual booting and I'm not touching Windows at all. What's going on?
>>
>>53465096
You let homosexuality in your heart, it's way too late to turn back now.

I tried Hackintosh on a laptop relatively similar to a Macbook and it didn't work too well, doubt I have any hope with my current build.
>>
>>53463980
...I didn't know about the quicklook preview thing.

Also I'm kinda considering buying a magic trackpad, but the newer one is quite expensive.

Also I have a question, on a hackintosh build, is it worth upgrading from 8gb to 16gb of RAM?
>>
>>53464792
Most of my programs look similar from thumbnails so it's not as quick to recognize. Like the thumbnails for my IM client. email client, and IDE, all look like white background text with on it. Looking at the icons is quicker and even quicker when they're all in a row at the bottom.
>>
>>53465179
>Also I'm kinda considering buying a magic trackpad, but the newer one is quite expensive.
I've been checking ebay. The 1st version goes for under $40. Pls wait a week, I don't want to bid-war you anon
>>
>>53465215
So why not use Cmd+tab to switch programs? I haven't seen the dock in years, it's on my secondary monitor set to autohide with no programs pinned to it
>>
>>53465179
There's some discussion about the magic trackpad in this thread
>>53449136
>>
>>53465215
Don't worry, I don't buy stuff on ebay lately.

I'm willing to shell out 60 bucks but not more for that. I'm not sure how the first version compares to the second, but the time I used a macbook trackpad I fell in love with that little fucker.

What I'm really wondering is if anyone would use a trackpad on graphic design tools. It seems kinda hard.
>>
>>53465235
I usually do use Alt Tab on Winblows and Linux. Works great for switching between two programs. Hit button, don't think about anything, continue typing. Starts getting messy when you switch between 3 or more. That's when I prefer the task bar
>>
It just werks!... except fucking iTunes.

I have like 5 albums, that's about it. I don't listen to music too much, but one of them sounds like utter garbarge on iTunes, I don't know what's happening. It's like some DRM filter kind of bullshit, sounds like I'm listening to someone dying underwater.

Tried cmus, sounds fine. Tried players on Windows, sounds fine. I don't know what's up with iTunes, it doesn't do that shit with any other albums.
>>
New to the whole OS X scene, have been loving it so far but I wish I could kind of customise it a bit more, make it more personalised to me.

On desktop threads there's always people with fancy Arch installs with their own custom windowing system and a nice colour scheme, etc.

On OS X I have a purely clean desktop, a dock and that's pretty much it. Anyone have any tips for not just using OS X (didn't know about that spacebar to peak files thing for example) but also customising it or just personalising it somewhat.

Also should I be using the journaled extended encrypted file format or just normal journaled extended? Never really dealt with encryption before but it seems like a good idea to keep my data locked down right?
>>
>>53461979
>If you use and like any of the popular Linux distros for work (not 4channing and ricing or gaymur shit), it's a decent choice. I like it, and I use it every day along with Debian.

Basically this.

I'm a sysadmin, but after years of trying to put up with Linux on various laptops I gave up and switched to OS X. Because

1) It works
2) It has the same user space and applications I need to Make Server Go.

Install a decent terminal, install Homebrew, and you're good to go.
>>
>>53465453
Can't do much there. There are a few applications out there that would add extra functionality, but some are paid.

For instance, if you ever enjoyed having smooth scrolling, there's an application for that which enables it globally so you don't have the clunky shit osx offers. I haven't seen such thing either in Windows or Linux.

Also I personally wouldn't bother with encryption, but that's a matter of preference.
>>
>>53465520
Just did some googling and stumbled upon this application. Seems to work somewhat how rainmeter would on Windows, adding a personal touch to the desktop environment.

Übersicht - name of said application
>>
been using osx on a 2015 macbook pro 13 inch i bought about 5 months ago. i had only used windows xp and 7 before that, but have since bootcamped 10 on my laptop too.

things i like about os x (and the macbook i guess):
the trackpad is just great, it always does what you want, and is responsive as fuck. the trackpads i had used for windows laptops never felt right.
settings. everything is in one place, on windows 10 it's a fucking mess.
the fullscreen feature, i know some people don't like it but i love fullscreening programs and three finger swiping between them.
the scaling is great, windows 10 on my display looks like poop, either the programs don't scale and look pixely, or the ui is tiny.
the shortcuts. on windows the shortcuts never made sense (atleast to me), here i feel they are useful, make sense and are easy to remember.
battery life, i know there are windows laptops now that do have 10 hour batteries but coming from a vaio with 2 hours on a good day, it was great to not have my laptop be constantly charging. windows 10 on macbook halves the battery but 5 hours is good too.
and some other stuff.

if i didn't have to use some windows only programs i would never even consider going back.
>>
>>53465746
Honestly if you find any paid apps that do stuff you might be interested in, I would suggest torrenting them. You can find all sorts of stuff.
>>
>>53465895
Yeah the app I mentioned looked promising but I don't think it even has a feature implemented to move shit around?? wtf
>>
>>53465362
Do you have the automatic sound volume shit activated/deactivated by chance?

>>53465453
There was Flavours 2 but forget it if you're using El Capitan. As for encyption, depends on your data, drive and hardware. I got it disabled on my Retina Macbook to get 0.5% extra performance but it doesn't hurt to have it in most scenarios I bet.
>>
>>53461979
>If you're a weeb ricefag that likes to shitpost and circlejerk in the desktop threads, you probably won't like it either.

OSX looks mediocre and functions okay. The hardware and proprietary lockdowns are pretty shitty but there isn't much to hate lad
>>
>>53458813
Literally the worst of both worlds (Linux and Windows)
I used it and I will never understand the appeal.
>>
>>53459876
And less flexible, less Software and less security.
Basically a shitty Version of Linux for babbys.
>>
>>53466339
>less Software
keep telling yourself that
>>
>>53458813
It's a meme.
>>
>>53466356
>No Argument

Great.
I also add OS X is also pretty useless as Server OS.
>>
>>53466393
OS X can run practically all software Linux can in addition to software Linux can't.
>I also add OS X is also pretty useless as Server OS.
I've got a server running OS X Server right now
>>
>>53466099
If you mean that thing that "enhances" audio quality I tried enabling it and disabling it, also messing with the equalizer. The thing is that it's not just playing that specific music in a lower quality, it's rather completely distorted. As if someone tried to record it from a Skype call and played it back over a 56k connection.

It also seems like a filter on top of it that does that since the first second comes out fine. The fact it's a specific album and it plays fine on everything else makes me think that iTunes somehow must have an algorythm to detect specific music that might have been acquired "ilegitimally". That or it really hates that music.

Besides, I can get rid of iTunes and all. Is there any other decent music player on OSX?
>>
>>53466644
>iTunes somehow must have an algorythm to detect specific music that might have been acquired "ilegitimally".
Nah, doubt it, I have almost 200GB of music, not a single track acquired legitimately and no issues with it. Maybe it shit itself because of the encoding? Did you try the obvious and download another copy of it?

>Is there any other decent music player on OSX?
If it exist, I sure haven't found it.
>>
>>53466858
>>53466644
>Is there any other decent music player on OS X?
ncmpcpp
>>
>>53466393
Linux might have tons of software quantitatively but if we count the quality software, OSX is probably ahead.

It's similar to Playstore vs the shit on iOS, Android might have MORE software but tons of it is absolute trash if not copies from trash.
>>
>>53466858
Can't find it anymore online but I think I'll try converting it to a different format or something. It's just real weird I guess.
>>
>>53465261
When I finally splurge on a trackpad I'll probably complement it with either a decent non-apple bluetooth mouse or just keep my current wired mouse. The trackpad is great for most stuff, but every now and then it's really nice to have a mouse.
>>
>>53465362
Yes. I think iTunes looks pretty good, especially with the expanding album view, but it just has a lot of annoying quirks and bugs.
>>
>>53464504
the fuck are you even trying to do nigger
>>
>>53464504
You're retarded
>>
Its better than windows, but I'd still rather have a good Linux system.
>>
It still won't use Zfs.
>>
>>53466339
I think you mean for faggots and retards
>>
>>53458813
Reason tu use apple products:
>Not microsoft
>>
>>53458813
If it wasn't for HFS+ and shitty package management, this would be dank
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.