[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Web Dev
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: no.jpg (16 KB, 425x256) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
16 KB, 425x256
I work for a small web dev company consisting of the boss (CEO and designer), project manager (she does the site QA, handles customers and invoicing), graphic designer, a writer and myself (web developer/firefighter).

I challenge you to share stories and prove to me that you've met a more mismanaged and more disorganized chaotic group of fucking morons in an IT workplace. I'll start off with an easy one and share more.

Just FYI, none of them have the slightest clue how to work or do anything technology related. I'm rarely in the office. This is my entertaining for a little extra side money.

Story #1 - The Flattened PSD
>Designer has another fire on his hands, he promised his client a site months ago and hadn't even started the PSD
>He spends 3 hours whipping up some garbage half-assed PSD
>Saves the entire thing as a jpg
>Flattens all the layers
>Doesn't save a PSD
>Panic in the office sets in as they realize all they have is this jpg file
>They spend an hour trying to get layers to show up in the jpg file (no, I'm not joking) downloading random adobe products to see if they'll help
>They eventually decide that the solution is to try to recreate it again
>They now have a working PSD that they send to the client for their approval (they always send PDF files for previewing for some fucking reason)
This is their process for having clients preview designs before starting development. He develops the PSD, saves it as a PDF file, uploads it to Dropbox and shares that link.
>The client informs him that his company was dumped weeks ago and he was trying to get his security deposit back, not get his site launched

The next story is one I call "The Deleted Emails"
>>
go on
>>
>>53458548
The Deleted Emails is a fun one.

Story #2 - The Deleted Emails
>They acquire a client for a website and email management
>This guy owns several companies and has 30 technicians always out in the field and we're going to be the ones who manage and setup all their devices for email
>They try to transfer the guy's domain by themselves
>They completely disregard that he might have email on his existing host and they do a complete registrar transfer and they ask Site 5 support how to point it to their own reseller nameserver
>Everything's good to go! Just one problem, the guy is missing every fucking email and calls them furious
>The guy keeps quotes, financial data and company information in those emails
>They panic (they're always in panic mode, every single day)
Now, the next part is baffling to me. I literally to this day have no idea how they did this or what they did to cause this.
>They log into the old hosting company
>They somehow end up deleting the email off of that server and deleting the hosts's backup of the site and emails
>They start trying to see if it's his computer, ask him to restart his computer and download windows updates
>They bring the guy's computer into the office and ask me to come into the office (this is the first time I've heard of this client or knew what they were doing)
>"Hey anon, can you look at this guy's computer? We think maybe Outlook deleted some emails and we want to see if you can find them."
>Just come in and dick around for a few hours after hearing about what they did, there's literally nothing you can do and there weren't even any pst files left on the computer
Spoiler: They didn't get the email contract for those 30 field technicians. They also ended up doing the exact same thing to another client who owned a manufacturing company that ended up being related to the guy from the story above.
>>
Story #3 - The Scope (Short)
>In the office
>he's complaining about never making money and sites never going out the door
>We argue that he has no clue what he's doing and needs to stop designing because they're horrendous
>"Okay anon since you're so smart, you tell me what the problem is."
>Me: "You have no business plan, you never have any kind of scope for any of your projects, you're not charging enough, you're mismanaged and the project manager is a clueless idiot who has no idea what's going on and looks confused all the time."
>"Anon, what do you mean I have no scope for projects? The PSDs I send are the scope! That is the scope of the projects!"
>Have no words, just look at him for a good 30 seconds
>Leave
>He calls, sucks up and kisses ass to get me to continue 'helping' him since every other dev he hires has a one week turnover rate
>>
Please, continue.
>>
>>53458963
Let's see. Would you like to hear about the blocked for spam story, the SQL injected website or the deleted dropbox?
>>
>>53458998
all of the above.
>>
>>53458998
All of 'em
>>
>>53458817
>every other dev he hires has a one week turnover rate
so whats your story staying with this turd of a company?
>>
Story #4 - Blocked For Spam
>They have a client (one of the nicest guys I've ever met) who does glass blowing
>He's a veteran, he helps and donates 5 figure donations every year to disabled and injured veterans
>We first design his website and it's fucking awful
>Boss wants this retarded design he saw off of a fashion website where the background pictures change dynamically (there's black and white pictures with a white menu so the menu font had to change dynamically too)
>This guy has two contact forms on his website. One is for customer support and one is for a giveaway where he gives away some glass art
>One day, the guy stops being able to send out emails or receive them
>The only confirmation I get is a forward from the project manager that as of a week ago, he stopped receiving emails (basically she sent me a week old email saying the guy wasn't getting emails) and it's like they didn't give a shit
>Did those fucking retards change some records, try to transfer a domain? It's always a fun mystery
>I try everything I can think of and get desperate enough to start trying some commands on Git through root access, nothing is giving
>After several attempts to contact Bluehost (oh boy do I love their support), I finally get someone above minimum wage who looks into it
>"That website is blocked for spam and has been receiving reports for spamming."
>Weird, this guy wouldn't be spamming people, now I have a new issue to investigate.
>Find out, after the site was set up, they put in additional emails in those contact forms to also message to the project manager so that they can collect emails
>They had a GetResponse and were bombarding every person who ever input their email into any of his forms with offers and that was their plan to get business, they were doing it from an email setup on the guy's domain
>The guy's emails were down for two weeks and I had to convince Bluehost to turn it back on
>>
>She
this ought to be good
>>
Story #4 Happy Ending
>I contacted him personally to setup his email away from these idiots to a place they couldn't figure out or touch
>I setup everything he had with Google Apps, all his emails were transferred just fine and everything to this day works as normal
>He had trouble with the idea of me doing it for free for saving his emails and his account so he sent me money on PayPal
>Boss was angry because I went to a client directly and not through them
>Calls me up furious "Anon what were you thinking?! We could lose that client!"
>"If he's smart, you probably will." hang up
>He goes into panic mode again and kisses ass to keep me because he has more fires to put out

>>53459121
For the stories, and it was extra beer money. Part of me likes to be part of a real live train wreck.
>>
can we get the sql injected website next please?
>>
Story #5 - Deleted Dropbox
So, these people keep literally every proof of their businesses existence in a fucking Dropbox. Have I tried to tell them to knock that shit off? Sure. Just like I've tried to tell them otherwise on every other stupid decision they made for the 2 years I helped them.

>They run these 2010 iMacs in their office for some reason
>They're constantly uploading things to Dropbox
>I get a phone call one morning
>"ANON! You have to help! I can come pick you up and get you in the office but we have an emergency here!"
>Me: "What now?" They have an emergency every day. It's a constant cluster fuck and firefighting office
>"Everything is gone! I'm watching Dropbox delete everything! It's deleting every single thing and this could bankrupt us! What do we do?"
>Me: "Stop it...?"
>"I don't know how. I'll come get you."
>Get into the office, everything in Dropbox is gone. It's history and there's nothing to recover
>"Oh wait anon! Katelyn (the project manager) has a lot of those files on her computer. We can just put them back onto Dropbox."
>Got onto her computer and everything in her Dropbox backup folder is just movies she's recorded over the years, not one work related file. She only has a few hundred megs of space left because of all these dumbass movies
>"Oh idk how that happened" she says
>Spend 2 hours going through gigs and gigs of movies to see if there's any win I can save and transfer to my computer
>Nope, they're all stupid, so I invoice him for the time and leave
>A week later, the same thing happens but this time to his Dropbox and his email
>He had been hacked and for a week straight, everything he was doing was hacked and being deleted
>>
I used to work for a small advertising company that was just like this. Very entertaining, please continue.
>>
Sounds like a nightmare. Are all web development jobs like this?
>>
>>53459343
I don't really understand SQL injection and how to fight it other than common sense because it's not something I've ever personally had to deal with.

>Katelyn (project manager) gets an email notification that a site could be hacked from Google console search
>Again... panic sets in and I get forwarded the email
>There's a ton of shady scripts, random files and random folders in there
>Spend time researching how to fix this other than the usual which is malware cleaning and locking the site down
>I remove every trace I can find of whatever these people did and beef up the site's security
>A week later, random links start showing up advertising essays and cruise lines (basically some blackhat SEO assholes spamming the site)
>My friend tells me it's probably SQL injected
>We scan the site for vulnerabilities
>The site has this plugin (way out of date on it) that they tried to install that we couldn't even see until we scanned the entire site and found out we could inject it
>Clean that out the site's perfectly fine now. I set it up so that I'll get an email notification when someone logs into the admin account
>Get a notification and it's someone from my town
>God damnit Katelyn. I knew right away who it was
>Immediately after, it gets hacked again
>She also logs into 3 other websites and every single one of them become hacked the same day
>Her computer is keylogged and she keeps trying to install random plugins to "implement functionality" that she feels would make the site better
>I sent them a 40 hour invoice for the frustration of that week (it was probably 32-33 hours but they don't know how long things take) that they couldn't pay for
>They send out an email to the hacked clients stating that sometimes this just happens and it's Google's fault (GOD DAMNIT)
I think to this day, none of those clients are still with them.
>>
>>53459534
no.
>>
>>53459534
No. People like this get fired. In a real development agency, things are a bit more organized and there's teams to take care of things.

This company is the result of a startup company run by a moron. It was only him and I when we started. One of his clients said they thought he was working out of his garage so he hired on a bunch of family members to make it seem like a full agency.

Next, let's talk about when Dipshit & Co (that's what I'm going to call them) tried to outsource to India and ended up going temporarily bankrupt because of it.
>>
Story #6 - Expensive Outsourcing

So, the company got to a point where they couldn't pay for me and Katelyn thought I was the problem because I was too negative. She thought "Let's outsource! We can crank out several sites a week doing that!" Development has never been the issue in his 10 year run and they don't have the clientele to push out a site a month. I told them from the start, Outsourcing is a pain and you have to be on their ass 24/7. If you do not manage the Indians, they will take advantage of you and you have to go through a ton of them to find decent quality workers.

>My advice as usual is ignored
>They hire this India agency based off of some random dude's recommendation
>They don't ask how much they charge (all Indians are cheap, why bother?)
>They don't ask how long it takes them to do websites, there's no management of projects, nothing
>He is charging $2,000 per website and wants every PSD to Wordpress done in 5-8 hours
>He sends them a couple of websites
>They take forever to get anything done, the sites are fucked, they have no idea how to do a proper site transfer as everything was still trying to pull from localhost when they put the site on a dev server
>They get an invoice from them
>$3,000+ for two websites
>He flips his shit and loses his mind as usual, more panic sets in
>He calls me panicking, no idea he even went through with this until this call
>I connect to their Slack and ask them how long they took, how much they were charging. $18 an hour
>$18 an hour? Are you fucking kidding me?! Who pays $18 an hour to Indians?! When I outsourced, I was a scumbag that paid $3 per hour and had highly profitable projects with managed teams
>His electric to his house he works out of is almost shut off until he empties his account and pays late fees, he breaks down, tells me I was right again and that they were awful
>One of the sites he sent was from a client that never paid him because of how awful the site looked
>>
I just want to point out that ALL of this happened within the final 6 months of me working for them. I'd have to dig deep but stupid shit like this happened on a weekly basis.

He's part of this huge church organization that is based out of Norway and this is where he gets most of his clients. He somehow always finds loans or a way to stay afloat.

To this day, Katelyn and the boss are still churning and fucking up everything they touch.
>>
>>53459221
They basically backdoored his site and used to send ads? Wtf?
>>
>>53460135
Their response to my "what the fuck were you thinking?" was "Anon, companies send out advertisements and marketing material all the time."

"Not to random fucking people via email. Do you know what can happen to you if you're found spamming"

>He didn't even know of or has never heard of the CAN Spam Act

Some days, I genuinely tried to believe that they were massive trolls and that a man this educated couldn't be this stupid.
>>
File: 1457701362865.jpg (60 KB, 429x413) Image search: [Google]
1457701362865.jpg
60 KB, 429x413
>>53459401
cheezus crust m9, my fucking sides. bleedin joke m8
>>
File: seriously.jpg (11 KB, 150x217) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
11 KB, 150x217
>>53458518
>needing 5 people to run a company doing web development
>>
I dont do web dev, but heres a good one.
>be pos help desk.
>somehow this place hires mid level programmers for helpdesk and we work 60-70 hours a week due to lack of bodies for weekend shifts etc.
>get a new update
>supposed to fix a small "feature" in waste recording
>most of the registers are in house refurbished and have at most 512Mb of ram
>new update has a ram leak
>after an hour get up to 3.5Bg of usage
>locks registers
>almost all 1500 clients call about an "out of memory error"
remember, this is fast food service. cream of the crop for intelligence here.
>been almost 6 months and still getting fixing this shit.
what was the fix you ask?
>set page file for XP machines to 1-2GB page files and set performance settings to programs
my only hope is that i find another job before hard drive genocide.
>total estimated revenue loss: $0.5M
>98% of clients are still with the company.
>>
Thanks for the stories op
>>
>>53459121
masochism
>>
>>53460235
Depends if you want to cater to Ma & Pa shops for $2,000 websites or actually handle real clients that make you money.

I could and did do what my former boss was trying to do by myself with almost no issues. Certainly none to that level of stupid-fuckery.

>>53460322
I find it funny that people stick around these shitheads.

My boss met a lot of his clients through his church group (the one based out of Norway) and Ma & Pa shops that want $2,000 websites usually don't have the money to go somewhere else other than these shitty agencies and some of them are "family friends". It's scary how incestuous the entire business model is.

I was only with him for 2 years but myself and one other developer are the only developers to stick with him for longer than a week.
>>
This is why web development is a joke and nobody hires anyone who isn't a real programmer anymore. If you can't C, C++, in addition to PHP, Ruby, Perl, Java, just fuck off already. You will be shortly replaced by Pajeet in the shitting fields.
>>
>>53460559
>look mom I posted it again
>>
>>53460586
Show me where I'm wrong, son.
>>
>>53460601
>Show me where I'm wrong, son.
right here
>This is why web development is a joke and nobody hires anyone who isn't a real programmer anymore. If you can't C, C++, in addition to PHP, Ruby, Perl, Java, just fuck off already. You will be shortly replaced by Pajeet in the shitting fields.
>>
>>53460559
In 2016, websites are a business necessity. How does C and C++ even help in making websites?
>>
>>53460559
I make great money with web dev, I love it and don't have any interest in software development. When I did outsourcing, I had to go through over a hundred Pajeets to find a decent one.

There's companies in every single industry that are run by idiots with incompetent baboons. I'm sure there's a software startup just like the company I've posted out there with their own personal Katelyn and boss flattening PSDs (or whatever the equivalent of that is in software development)

Every company needs a website. Government websites pay so much money because Government has no concept of money management. A site that would pay $25,000 becomes a negotiable mid to high six figure contract when dealing with a Government agency.

That and now days, a huge percentage of traffic is on a handheld device, so all sites need to be 100% responsive as well. Believe me, there's a lot of money to be made in the industry. I think C/C++ is cool but I've never had an interesting learning to do it.
>>
>>53460653
>I think C/C++ is cool but I've never had an interesting learning to do it.
Have a look at C++ OpenGL particle effects.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.