[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
piratebox general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: piratebox.jpg (28 KB, 525x319) Image search: [Google]
piratebox.jpg
28 KB, 525x319
Does anyone here on /g/ have a piratebox?
Do people acctually use it?

I have a tl-mr3020 laying around here and thinking about building one for when university starts next month
>>
don't have one but it sounds cool, i might build one
>>
>>53456860
not sure if it makes any sense though and people would acctually use it.
I guess all those smartphone fags would be too afraid of it, but in uni class it might be working though.

That's why I acctually asked for some experience.
Maybe will change the layout to something 'cool'
>>
>>53456784
>university
we just ran a dc++ share over the wired halls of residence network famalam
>>
You mean pirating on campus?
>>
>>53456993
no
>PirateBox is a DIY anonymous offline file-sharing and communications system built with free software and inexpensive off-the-shelf hardware.
>>
>>53456784
I have a MR-3020. I don't use it. It's too weak. The latest OpenWrt you can install and use sensibly is AA, because BB and CC take up so much storage you can't install the web interface.

The only thing it's good for is being a wireless bridge, so I can get WiFi to a cabled device which doesn't have WiFi.
>>
it would be nice if they updated their site more than once a year
>>
PirateBox is literally an OpenWrt WiFi access point with USB storage and MiniDLNA. It probably runs avahi for zeroconf/mdns and Samba. It's nothing special.
>>
>>53457559
>It's nothing special.
I know it's nothing special. Just easy to set up.
I also think it's a nice idea, but not sure if it would get acctually used
>>
literally a fucking joke and anyone who was dumb enough to buy one should be shot.

holy shit just use a fucking wireless router or usb stick you fucking idiots
>>
>>53457632
wut
>>
File: DaneElecmediastreamer.jpg (6 KB, 333x245) Image search: [Google]
DaneElecmediastreamer.jpg
6 KB, 333x245
I've got this little guy. It's got a web interface and runs Linux but I want to compile software for it and can't find a Linux 2.6 MIPS toolchain
>>
>>53457608
I agree. A piratebox is the sort of thing you'd deploy at a tech conference to share information relevant to attendees interests, or among friends in the same place to share music or whatever. Somewhere were everyone is fairly trustworthy. It also has use in places where information is heavily restricted like in oppressed countries with filtered internet.

If you put it up in public with a wifi name like "FREE FILE SHARING" some dirtbag will come along and delete the lot and/or fill it with illegal content then report you.
>>
>>53457730
Cool story bro
>>
>>53457756
>thread about pirate boxes
>make pirate box related post
>make fun of it
But why?
>>
>>53456941
DC++ was dope at RIT
>>
I have one running on pi in our architecture studio but no one uses it and I often come to school and find someone unplugged the pi to charge their phone or some shit lol.
>>
File: historyvgbanner.jpg (59 KB, 650x280) Image search: [Google]
historyvgbanner.jpg
59 KB, 650x280
>>53457777
>7777
>>
>>53456784
I wanted to set one up on campus to see what people would post on the image board.
Seems like it'd be interesting.
>>
OP here,
maybe I will use a raspberry pi for it. Just have to figure out which lasts longer. Either the tl-mr3020 or a raspberry.
>>
>>53457934
MR3020 has significantly lower power usage than Pi. Check OpenWrt wiki.
>>
File: checkum.jpg (65 KB, 937x895) Image search: [Google]
checkum.jpg
65 KB, 937x895
>>53457777
>>
>>53457987
>he average router power consumption is 0.6W, which is incredibly low.
>Power consumption will be higher if a USB device is attached to its USB port!

seems to be pretty nice, but maybe the raspberry will be easier to customize. not sure.
Since I would have my 10kmAh powerbank in my bag either way both should be last a few days
>>
>>53458024
Yes, the Pi will be infinitely easier.
>>
>>53458024
>10kmAh
Holy fucking shit it's 10Ah
>>
>>53458247
That's what he said, 10000mAh
>>
>>53458247
>Holy fucking shit it's 10Ah
woops. I feel ashamed now about that obvious failure of mine
>>
>>53458267
10Ah
>>
>>53457804
Fuck yeah, I was there. Those were good times.
>>
>>53457012
What files would you share with a random person.
Also who would use such a thing.
>>
>>53458358
Game of Thrones and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, everyone loves those.
>>
>>53456784
No, who cares. Waste of time.
>>
>>53458358
I don't know man.
I will probably use it in my bag for a few weeks anyways, I guess.
>>53458422
nice meme

But seriously. Will put some series on it or some shit like that. Not sure.
It does has a dlna server, but who the fuck knows what a dlna server is these days? Some kind of streaming would be nice, but I guess too much load for such a small device.
>>
The real issue honestly is that no one wants to connect to a network with no internet connection. If there is a valid connection available no one will even notice let alone use your box. If there is no actual internet then people MIGHT connect.
>>
Anybody tried the Android App?
>>
>>53457012
>needs more proxy servers
>>
>>53456784
I made one with the router pictured, but realized I had no one to use it with, so I use it's built in DLNA to stream stuff off the flash drive on my nexus 7
>>
>>53456784
had the hardware, gave it a try, normies are too fucking stupid to use it.

Got to modify html to show links to gmail, facebook, yahoo and open a mobile copy of the website asking for user and pass, turns out most are desperate for free wifi and will input user and password for facebook mostly.
>>
>>53461492
Damn it must be so easy to trick these people out of their passwords. A malicious "FREE WIFI" AP operator could really clean up.
>>
>>53461621
it would be nice that it pick ups the attempts from the phone apps instead

people that tried the browser because are desperate to post stupid shit on facebook went on to the extent of trying to login from a fake page.
>>
the quircky hardware setup they suggests it's pretty fun and give a bit of ghetto feeling (either router+powerbank+ usb or raspberry pi) but at this point it's just simply better to get an android chinkphone for 20bucks and install the android version of the software on it
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.