[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FORTRAN and Basic users BTFO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (141 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
141 KB, 640x1136
FORTRAN and Basic users BTFO
>>
No one denies that Basic is archaic garbage. Fortran is just useful as a history lesson.
>>
>>53453252
Fortran is still used in theoretical physics. High school friend who attended Cornell had to learn it.
>>
fortan is used in academic research.
>>
>>53453226
>tfw most of the scientific code you are bound to use is written in Fortran
>adding new features to the code is as painful as sitting on a spiked dildo
>can't justify rewriting the whole thing

please kill me
>>
why do you have auto-rotate locked?
>>
>>53453226
Was this written by a teenager? The prose is fucking terrible.
>>
>>53453226
I do the IT for a slaughter house. One half of their systems is running FORTRAN on AIX.
>>
File: 1456692980168.jpg (51 KB, 807x537) Image search: [Google]
1456692980168.jpg
51 KB, 807x537
>>53453226
>, which was a pen
>I looked at her funny
>>
>>53453460
Yeah its a narration style by a retarded techno kid
>>
>>53453226
>she
You are obviously quoting some womyn's studies feminist bullshit if a female is talking about programming languages.
>>
>>53453403
not Op but we use it when we're lying down so the screen doesn't rotate into Safari's horrid landscape design
>>
>>53453252
I still use BASIC to run old text games and stuff. Haven't made any big programs with it, but I'm more likely to than with say Python or other modern shits (I do however, use C and Perl quite a lot).
This one works pretty good on Unix-like OS:
http://www.moria.de/~michael/bas/
>>
>>53453252
99% of Quantum Chemistry programs, even the commercial ones, are written in Fortran
>>
10 POKE 23659,0
RUN

Fuck all y'all.
>>
File: image.png (168 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
168 KB, 640x1136
Is she right /g/?
>>
>>53454406
yes
>>
>>53454472
So her solution is:

she wants to make a veery wierd profile, very obscure, so that they cant target her and stuff.

Good plan or no?

The book is pic related by the way. It's decent so far.
>>
>>53454406
The good news is that they can't do anything to you psychologically.
The bad news is that you aren't special enough to warrant that, anyway.
>>
>>53454676
In this book, the internet is pretty much in their brains.

But its not hard to psychologically influence someone using images and videos and rhetoric... even without something intrusive as a brain-computer... just look at CNN and FOX how they dictate what the masses should think and look at.
>>
I once made a BASIC code that randomly drawed a bunch of psychedelic lines on the screen.
It was pretty fun.
>>
>>53454713
There's still a good number of BASIC environments today. Here's an overview:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/LDP/linuxfocus/English/Archives/lf-2003_01-0277.pdf
>>
>>53454496
Oh yeah, I've read that. Pretty good for a children's book.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.