[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does this programming class look like BS to you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Okay /g/ I know this board isn't for reviews but I need your help.

I've been trying to learn programming for years but I am a luddite and I keep getting stuck & frustrated.

so I found this workshop in my area tomorrow on Twitter (I attached the ad) and I don't know how to tell if this asshole is legit. all I can tell from his twitter is that he's some kind of hairy hippy and he likes to talk about databases. (I hope he's funnier in person than on Twitter at least. holy shit.) there isn't even a video or something on the website.

so how exactly does a clueuless layperson like me evaluate something like this? do I just trust the testimonials? or is there a way to figure out whether someone actually knows what they're talking about?

pls help me friends.
>>
nice try max
>>
>>53452794
read K&R
read SICP
>>
If you attend a "think like an engineer" course its safe to say you have zero hope of becoming an engineer.
Its just some liberal faggot who will blow smoke up your ass and teach you buzzwords that will get you nowhere.
>>
>>53452815
i've tired reading both of those, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm telling you man I just need someone to hold my hand a bit.
>>
those workshops teach you nothing

if you want to learn how to program, take a class at a community college. its cheap and will get you workin.
>>
>>53452825
I dunno dude do you think he literally just faked all of the testimonials? that's basically all I'm going on right now. I'll deal with some SJW bullshit if it means I can get unstuck, and it specifially says it's for noobs.
>>
>>53452846
Work through the process. First work through a course on how to write programs, then once you more or less understand what you're doing, do a course on what those programs actually do at a lower level. Branch out from there.
>>
>>53452815
K & R is pretty outdated
>>
just talk to him on twitter and see if it sounds like he's bullshitting. be a human for fuck's sake.
>>
>>53452794
>That picture

I'm dying
>>
>>53452889
Honestly, I've tried with several courses, like Khan Academy and Learn Python the Hard Way. it's not that I don't make ANY progress, but things just never seem to "click" no matter where I look.

>>53452852
this is actually cheaper than classes at local schools, and the site says he used to teafch at a school, so who knows?
>>
>>53452963
i kind of want to just send him a link to this thread lmao
>>
File: 1439736645766.jpg (43 KB, 681x496) Image search: [Google]
1439736645766.jpg
43 KB, 681x496
>>53452846

Have you considered that you're just not a programmer?

I'm not calling you stupid, I just think your strengths could be elsewhere. Being a good programmer requires a certain kind of mind.

SICP and K&R are heavy shit, though. If you're adamant about learning, just start out with some scrub language like python and do a codecademy tutorial or something. Seriously. If you can't make it through that, you're officially an idiot and need to give up.

Once you have the basics knocked over (loops, control flow, functions, variables, recursion, yadda yadda), pick a PROJECT, a GOAL of some kind. Work towards it.
>>
>>53453107

>officially an idiot

An idiot in the context of programming, of course.
>>
>>53453107
>>53453107

>Python
>scrub language

i-is this really true?
>>
>>53453300

I literally cannot name a more scrub language (besides stuff for kids like Scratch)

Not that python is a BAD language, it's just extremely easy to learn and use.
>>
File: mcstamp.jpg (22 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
mcstamp.jpg
22 KB, 250x250
>>53453337
>>53453300
Yeah, it's great to learn with. It can do heavy lifting, too, though! The 3D game client for EVE Online is written in Python.
>>
>>53453107
This anon nailed it with the last line. Pick a project and WORK TOWARDS IT.
>>
>>53453388
>game client for EVE Online is written in Python
If you consider calling C++ for nearly everything "being written in python"
>>
>>53453066
Yo man if you want to blow your money on bs go ahead. Testimonials mean nothing.
>>
>>53453300
No, it's not. It's not a low level language, and CS is full of fraternity wash-outs who think that hazing is a fundamental component of anything worth doing, so languages like Python - which make stuff relatively easy, readable, and more or less intuitive - rub them the wrong way.

People like >>53453337 who "cannot name a more scrub language" either haven't heard of other, poorly designed but widely used languages (PHP comes to mind), or doesn't appreciate that languages are designed for different purposes than one another.

Haskell is fundamentally designed for different things than Perl. Same for JS, Ruby, Lua, Prolog, Java, etc...

We could go on and on. Even if you have a limited knowledge of various programming languages, you should still appreciate that languages exist to satisfy needs along more than one or two dimensions.
>>
>>53453300
No, but it holds your hand
>>
>>53453513
Maybe they've migrated to a new platform now, but around 2010 they were still on all Python. http://highscalability.com/eve-online-architecture
>>
Real programmers don't know shit about graphics design or presenting, so I'd say it's legit.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.