[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple Magic Trackpad 2 / Magic Mouse 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6
I've been using my hackintosh as my main computer for a good while now and I'm considering getting either the new trackpad or mouse.
I know this is kind of a retarded question because they're vastly different devices but which one would the not-Apple-hating guys here recommend?

As far as I know you can use some of the gestures with the mouse, but it is really just a fancier mouse. I was a bit surprised to see that the mouse is half the price of the trackpad.

Is the trackpad comfy to use on a desktop situation? Does anyone here have the new version? If your work or habits allow it, would you consider even using JUST the trackpad on everyday use.
>>
pls
>>
>>53449136
i-is this bait?
>>
>>53449716
yeah
>>
>>53449136
I'm also considering getting either the trackpad or the mouse.

I want the mouse since I already have the wireless magic keyboard and regular mice just doesn't give you any smooth scrolling, which OS X excels at. I miss it when I use my regular wired non-apple mouse.

I think that having both is actually the best solution. For some stuff you want to use the mouse and for other stuff it's very comfy to use the trackpad. Too pad buying both is quite expensive.
>>
>>53449136
I would advise against the magic mouse. It's great and smooth and everything but after about 10 days, my hand started swelling up and aching and I'm pretty sure I got RSI. I went back to the apple store to complain and they said I could get an ergonomic grip or something from the internet but I really had fucking enough so I switched to the trackpad (they swapped my mouse for free after complaining) and its good
>>
>>53450283
this, i used a magic mouse for a while and and began to get serious wrist pain

there's a modification you can do where you basically just stick a silicone cube onto it to give your palm something to rest on, but you're better off just getting a different mouse
>>
I bet it's the best for bed browsing.

My Apple fag physics prof has the whole set and loves it for his 15" rMBP.
>>
>>53450283
>>53450318

Alright. I was leaning heavily towards the trackpad anyway
>>
>>53449136
go for the trackpad, or go for a Logitech MX Master, if you want a mouse that can do some of those gestures.
>>
I use a mouse exclusively at work and the trackpad exclusively at home, using the same MBP running OS X.

At work, I notice myself taking my hand off the mouse and reaching up to the laptop trackpad many times a day to do gestures. At home, I never feel like I need to use a mouse for anything.

Trackpad only is probably best, im just too lazy to tell my boss to order me one.
>>
Apple fanboy coming through.

The trackpad no doubt, the magic mouse is a shitty mouse that no one should buy, the gestures are shit and with no physical scroll wheel and what I believe is only one physical button it has no advantages over the trackpad other than price.
Apple's trackpads are by far the best out there and OS X work so great with trackpad gestures it feels wrong to use a mose. Actually using Windows with a mouse feels ass backwards and inefficient other than for gaming, but most Windows trackpads are shit and the OS itself isn't really good at trackpad features which is surprisingly one of the biggest reasons I don't use Windows much anymore.

Anyways, I recommend you get the old Magic Trackpad, not the new one unless you really don't want to use batteries and you really want the bigger surface area of the new one. Also if you need a mouse for something just get a cheap normal mouse, they work and feel better. I'd go as far as to say the Magic Mouse is useless.
>>
>>53450601
>im just too lazy to tell my boss to order me one.
why don't use just use the built in trackpad all the time?
>>
>using a trackpad on a desktop
apple fags are seriously this retarded
>>
>>53450640
It's the superior option, have you ever used an Apple trackpad?
It's the fucking main selling point for me.
>>
>>53449136
>If your work or habits allow it, would you consider even using JUST the trackpad on everyday use.
Absolutely, without a doubt.
>>
I Love Apple, i would use and buy everything they produce

Written From my Iphone 6s
>>
Magic trackpad>Magic mouse
But only because i'm so used to the multitouch gestures and feels more natural to me than using a mouse. Optimal for everything but gaming/digital design
>>
>>53450666
Apple's touchpad is best for everything but games.
>>
File: apple-imac-0042.0.jpg (455 KB, 2500x1667) Image search: [Google]
apple-imac-0042.0.jpg
455 KB, 2500x1667
Just to add to the original post:

The look of my computer/desk area is pretty important to me and my big, weirdly colored mousepad and old mouse just aren't cutting it anymore.
So in that sense the trackpad would fit next to my white, sleek Leopold mech kb pretty nicely.

My 'computer usage' revolves mostly around programming + other university stuff, browsing this shithole and consuming quality entertainment.
>>
>>53450666
Yes I have and I prefer a mouse because I'm not retarded
>>
>>53450766
Nice to know, m8.
I own iPhone 6S too
>>
>>53450961
tracpoint>apple trackpad>trackball>mice>analog stick>pc trackpads
>>
>>53451788
m8 I have a thinkpad and fucking no, for best case scenario usage in all cases, mice and trackballs are the best

trackpoints and apple touchpads are GOAT for laptops but absolutely inferior to desktop mice, gestures or not
>>
>>53452025
mice are only good for games (and only worthless games like rts, mobas, and fps).
>>
File: 1422155579040.jpg (39 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1422155579040.jpg
39 KB, 1024x768
No one actually uses a trackpad at their desk r-right?
>>
>>53449136
I can't speak for the Magic Trackpad 2's Force Touch but I can say the Magic Trackpad is glorious
>>
>>53452090
mice are good for when you have to use a desktop environment for literally fucking anything that involved moving a mouse pointer and clicking it
>>
>>53452092
Wrong. I haven't used a mouse in around two years
>>
>>53450839
>Optimal for everything but gaming/digital design
>digital design
Can someone explain this to me? I get gaming because you often need two buttons as well as a lot of moving around, but do you need that in digital design as well?
>>
>>53452228
Probably because it's harder to a lot of very precise motions, like in photoshop. That's my guess anyway.
>>
>>53452248
Maybe, but I wouldn't think so, the apple trackpad is precise enough for you to move the cursor a single pixel if you like
>>
>>53452092
But why not? Assuming you don't need a mouse for gaming
>>
File: Magic-Trackpad-2-02.jpg (125 KB, 1333x1000) Image search: [Google]
Magic-Trackpad-2-02.jpg
125 KB, 1333x1000
>>53449136

I recently bought myself a "magic" trackpad 2 for my hackintosh. This came after I installed an Apple BCM94360CD wifi/bluetooth card for continuity. Trackpad always seemed kinda neat and having bluetooth now on my system enticed me to pull the trigger.

It's pretty damn good for general browsing and navigating through out files. Before, I had 2 gestures on the bottom left and right corner of my screen which I just used to move my cursor to. Now everything can be done with multi finger gestures.

Moving in between desktops/fullscreen applications with 3 finger swipe is not a huge deal but it makes everything smooth as fuck. I know you can do this with cntrl+arrow keys but still.

Pressure clicking is kinda fun to do when you're looking at images on your computer. After a week or so of using it, the battery is still at 72%. Came with 92% from the box.

I wouldn't get the mouse. Shit looks non-ergonomic as fuck. I also wouldn't personally get their keyboard either. I'm using a k70 rgb with the OSX open source drivers and it works just fine.
>>
I would say get the trackpad. I have the original one and it's okay (I don't care much for the tilt, but my understanding is that the new one is flatter, but not perfectly flat).

I have a rMBP in addition to my hackintosh, so I'm really used to using the keyboard and trackpad flat, so both the keyboard and trackpad bluetooth peripherals being tilted slightly actually bothers me a lot more than I imagine it bothers others.
>>
>>53450609
>most Windows trackpads are shit and the OS itself isn't really good at trackpad features
This is pretty true. You need a trackpad that has a good driver. Very few windows trackpads have good drivers. The ones that do are usually simple and don't support many gestures
>>
>>53456921
a lot of laptop trackpads on the windows side are also just shit hardware-wise. They're just too small.

I might have a picture of the Surface 3's keyboard/trackpad next to the rMBP's. It's comically small.
>>
File: IMG_7507.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7507.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1333
>>53457204
I just took another. This is insane. I appreciate that the Surface and Surface Pro are supposed to work better with a pen/stylus, but this is comical.
>>
>>53450640
My RSI says fuck you
>>
>>53457615
>im retarded so I need a device to make up for it
just get a fucking write cushion you moron
>>
>>53459363
*wrist cushion
>>
>>53459363
doesn't do anything, dipshit. You think I haven't tried that already? Trackpads are much less effort to use than mice. I have an ergomic mouse and keyboard, there's no pressure on my wrists. Using a laptop trackpad is still better.
>>
>>53459919
> Trackpads are much less effort to use than mice
there's no way I can believe that. you have to move your entire arm
at least try to validate using a trackpoint or trackball
>>
>>53459919
lol
>>
>>53459980
>there's no way I can believe that. you have to move your entire arm
To use a trackpad? My wrist rests in front of it and the only thing that moves are my hand and fingers
>>
>>53449136
Apple hater here, apple trackpads are the only thing worthwhile about the company. Genuinely good product. Unlike the mouse, which is shit. Glossy surfaces for swipe gestures was a fucking retarded idea, and you can't use it like a normal mouse. It's a weird limbo between trackpad and mouse, and doesn't work.
>>
>>53449136
Consider the trackpad as a complement to your mouse. Way better than a scroll wheel for maximizing the potential of your $2000 Facebook machine.

Oh, and fuck the magic mouse.
>>
>>53460109
This. If I still used a mouse I would still have a trackpad
>>
>>53459980
Moving the arm isn't the issue with RSI, it's finger presses. Clicking and center click with no effort is why I like using trackpads. My RSI is mostly from the mouse clicks.
I've tried trackpoints, I don't really like them. I controls like a joystick. I've also used a controller, using the joystick for mouse, thumb buttons for clicking, triggers for ctrl / alt and pgup / pgdown, and some other mappings I can't remember. That was actually kinda cool because I got my most-used navigation hotkeys all on it. Too much thumb use eventually drove me from it.
Haven't tried a trackball but most look like they have regular buttons so it's not really good.
>>
>>53459980
also, I find arm movement without wrist movement to be a GOOD thing. It keeps the arm straight.
>>
>>53461046
>It keeps the arm straight.
*keeps the wrist straight
>>
>>53460109
>your $2000 Facebook machine
I have a hackintosh desktop setup though
>>
>>53463763
Congrats
>>
>>53452228
Design is like anything complicated, shortcuts, macros, and extra buttons help you work faster.
>>
What justifies the extra price for the second version?
>>
>>53465285
It's thinner and rechargable. Doesn't really justify the big price bump.
>>
>>53465308
it also does the force touch stuff, doesn't it?

i mean i agree that none of this justifies the price bump, but just to flesh out the list of changes.
>>
File: f228726632.png (224 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
f228726632.png
224 KB, 554x439
I like the magic keyboard, the only problem is unless you use a real mac you can't use it pre-boot so if you need to configure the bios you've got to plug in a big clunky mechanical keyboard in instead,
>>
>>53465353
Ah you're right. I forgot they ditched the physical click button for the pressure
>>
>>53465308
Fuck me, I just checked that out. Original one needs batteries. I would rather take a wired one.

Oh well.
>>
Nobody has mentioned using better touch tool with the magic trackpad 2. It takes gestures and productivity to a whole new level.
>>
>>53465379
Can't you attach it with the included (charging) wire in that case? Not saying it's optimal, but I think it should work.
>>
>>53465488
How do you make use of the new features of the magic trackpad 2 with better touch tool then?
>>
>>53449136
From experience, OSX was made with Magic Trackpad in mind. Gestures works like shit on Magic Mouse
>>
>>53465397
>>53465353
>>53465308
It's not much different in use, the surface is bigger, has a better charging solution, comes with a lightning cable and those are pretty expensive for some reason.
It has force touch, but all that does is entirely change how the tech works, without changing how it functions for the user. Instead of clicking, it's emulating clicks. It barely adds anything to the product except for a bigger price tag and some gimmicks that probably could work on the normal trackpad anyways. The only advantage to force touch is that you can click anywhere on the surface. Now, if they added 3D Touch, they'd be onto something.
>>
>>53465414
You can just leave the charger in all the time if you want, but I don't see why you would
>>
Get the trackpad.

I use the first Magic Trackpad almost exclusively on my iMac, and it's great. The only real flaws with it are that it's AA-powered (the new one isn't) and that its click switch is a physical mechanism, and requires varying amounts of pressure in different spots on the trackpad (the new one doesn't).

I'd love to have the new model. You should, if you're considering it.
>>
>>53465285

The second version of the trackpad?

The abolition of AAs, and the emulated click feedback. The emulated feedback is impressively convincing, and means that the amount of force required to depress the pad no longer varies depending on where on the pad you click.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.