[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the mac mini the best solution for a cheap media computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 600x450
Is the mac mini the best solution for a cheap media computer that just works? Its tiny and very quiet.
>>
File: 143948573655.jpg (4 KB, 166x200) Image search: [Google]
143948573655.jpg
4 KB, 166x200
>>53448728
>cheap
Good goy
>>
>>53448761
cheap on a hardware and software level not pirce
>>
File: 1416630597900.gif (500 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1416630597900.gif
500 KB, 500x333
>>53448781
Then don't use the word 'cheap', bubbo
>>
>>53448781
>cheap on a hardware and software level not pirce
Fucking what
>>
>>53448841
>>53448825
It has cheap hardware and software, but it's price isn't cheap. Lrn2read
>>
>>53448878
>It has cheap hardware and software, but it's price isn't cheap
Are you retarded
>>
>>53448878
Learn to use English you fuck wit.
>>
>>53448728
It's probably your cheapest crapple option.
>>
> Apple
>>
>>53448728
Intel NUC with XBMC on it or win 8.1
>>
If you mean one attached to your pc, aka htpc:

From someone who has a minix android box, a nuc and a raspberry pi 2 all running kodi, get the latter, the pi. Raps pi is a freaking stunning kit for the price. Put on openelec and kodi..rj45 to your network and you will have it running in an afternoon, that includes putting it all together.

Get a good case, a good usb power cable (important) a good sd card, not some cheap crap, so spend a few extra dolls/euro/ your currency. Also it costs just north of fuk all to run. I never turn mine off. Might need a reboot every few moths or so. If you get the usb power, a case, the pi, a decent hdmi cable ..will cost about 70 80 doll oars, 80 euro ..somewhere around there. Cheap as fuk. Makes no noise, super light, you can tape it to your to ffs!!! I have hidden mine in a wall. Can't recommend them enough. There is a rasp pi 3 out now ..have not tried it but seems like a no brainier to me. All software is free, I just retailed mine to tvheadend freesat around the other kodi clients. That also worlds in openelec and kodi.
>>
Sorry for some typos in there (the pi rant) one other thing..if you have an old laptop floating about with a hdmi port..bounce on Ubuntu or one of the flavours, kodi and off u go
>>
>>53450087

Too much trouble. Does the current rasberry pi even have power to run 15gb rips for two hour movies?
>>
>>53450559
Then why not just buy a fucking roku and stream shit to in from your home pc?
>>
it's good if you already own one. if you don't own one already, it's not the most cost effective if you're just going to use it as a media box. a raspberry pi type device might be better, unless you need transcoding+serving to many clients or some shit.
>>
If you buy a small computer with specific parts, you can have a fairly cheap computer with OSX working flawlessly. Which you could call mac mini if you wanted. It wouldn't mind. Just slap a fucking apple logo on it or something.
>>
>>53448728
Nah, son. Raspberry Pi 3 with Plex Media Player. Supports 24p and lossless audio passthrough.
>>
>>53448728
>cheap media computer

No, a $50 Kodi running tv box from geekbuying.com is better.
>>
>>53448728
Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC
>>
>>53448878
are you autistic or something?
with computers there is only hardware and software
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.