[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he doesn't use FileVault
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
>he doesn't use FileVault
>>
>he is a hOmoSeXual
>>
>>53447742
I've been thinking about turning it on. Right now I put sensitive stuff inside encrypted files but leave filevault off.

What are some consequences of turning it on that one should know about? Like if your computer hw crashes, the OS gets corrupted or you need to recover the data by extracting the drive?
>>
>>53447963

For any modern computer? Nothing.
>>
>>53447963
The consequences are, you need to keep track of your backup key (a long multiword hyphenated string) if you ever want to recover files from it.

You should be able to plug it into to any running OSX, provide a key, and then you can access your files
>>
>>53448036
Keeping track of the password/passphrase is not a problem.

That sounds great then. There is only a slight, few second delay, when booting up the OS compared to not having it on, right?

And I remember another reason for not turning it on before was if I wanted to dualboot, that won't work with filevault turned on if I remember correctly.
>>
>>53448106
you have to provide a password immediately after starting the computer, before OS X boots
>>
>>53448106
Also, depending on how many files you have, initial encryption can take a long time. I had around 350GB on my drive, and encryption took around 15 hours (background process) on a 2009 iMac
>>
>>53448120
Ah, and it works differently from the way it does on iPhone I think.

On a Mac the OS won't be encrypted if the screensaver/lockscreen is on (but you won't be able to actually log in again without the pw).

On an iPhone/iPad the device is actually encrypted not only before inputting password after booting it up, but also whenever you are trying to log in by using the lock screen.

Dunno what the actual implications of this are though, but it seems like the iOS solution is a lot more secure if the police gets your device before you have a chance to shut it down completely.
>>
>>53447742
FDE is FUD
>>
>>53448224
on the mac it's useless because you have all gpg tools. on the iphone the lock screen is a pretend decryption, but the device will inevitably run out of battery in < 24h
>>
>>53448263
>it's useless because you have all gpg tools
But plebs should be able to encrypt their files without downloading the GPG suite. Better that it's built in for most people
>>
why doesn't apple include a thumbnails scanner and fully encrypt their laptops like they do iphones?
>>
>>53448235
nice try obama
>>
>>53448263
I wasn't talking about only using the lockscreen, I was talking about encryption + lockscreen which is a very useful combo on iOS devices which is on by default.

It's not pretend, it's not weak but rather very strong, on by default and it even stumps the FBI (google the san bernandino iphone case).
>>
>>53448263
Just because I can figure out how to use tools that aren't integrated into the OS nor very user-friendly doesn't mean I don't prefer to use something secure and user-friendly such as filevault.

As long as your adversary isn't the NSA it should be more than fine for whatever you use it for.
>>
>>53447742
plebs not being second year CS students and writing your own shitty file encrypting C++ program on a flash drive that you plug inn and run your sensitive files through to encrypt/unencrypt.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.