[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why should I study electrical engineering?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
Why should I study electrical engineering?
>>
>>53447046
You shouldn't
>>
>>53447069
Why not?
>>
you shouldn't
>>
>>53447075
its hella useless
>>
Does it interest you?
>>
Because it's fun, and grant you a high salary job. But nvm if you have no particular interest.
>>
>>53447046
If you live anywhere close to the US you shouldn't. It's not in very high demand there nowadays.
>>
>>53447159
>>53447176
From what I've read about it, yes, it sounds extremely interesting.

I'm not a huge fan of mathematics, but I don't mind it when I can actually apply it to something and I'm very interested in electronics and how they work, even more so being able to understand them to the extent that you can create things yourself.

>>53447224
I'm in the middle of Europe.
>>
>>53447261
>I'm in the middle of Europe.
Where exactly?
I'm not familiar with your exact school system, but is it the type where the first contact with Electronics comes from getting an Engineering degree?
>>
File: Grafik-Modulfaecher-EKT-D.jpg (54 KB, 504x247) Image search: [Google]
Grafik-Modulfaecher-EKT-D.jpg
54 KB, 504x247
>>53447311
Switzerland

>where the first contact with Electronics comes from getting an Engineering degree?
Not sure what you mean by this. Though there's a specific field of study called "electro- and communication technology" which encompasses a number of subjects, related to electrical engineering. From all that I can tell you can go right into this field of study without having to get a degree in general engineering first.
>>
>>53447046
Is electronics your hobby, and you want to be a god? ->Yes

You just want the money? ->Don't go alone, take this rope.
>>
>>53447374
>Is electronics your hobby, and you want to be a god?
I don't care a whole lot about money, I just want to learn something interesting.

I've been thinking about studying linguistics, but I feel like my interest in languages has been fading again and now it's a draw between geography and electric engineering.
>>
>>53447046
Depends, do you plan to eat 3 times a day?
>>
>>53447392
I'd prefer it if that's possible.
>>
>>53447373
Well in my country we'd attend compulsory education up until we're 14-15 years old, after which we pick a highschool. Now the highschool can either be a generic school without learning any trades or a specialized school, which is what most students pick.

I've already been learning about electronics since I was 15 and will be moving up to college next year, but in a few months I'll be an Electrical Technician.

Now since your country doesn't seem to follow the same type of system, you'll likely be alright if you choose to apply, since the institution (probably) considers no previous knowledge in the field. While if you'd be in the same situation in my country, you'd be sorta screwed since attending a technical school prior to applying seems to be fairly necessary.
>>
>>53447455
Cheers.

Yeah, we just have a unified school system that prepares you for University and then the University takes over in whatever specific field you enter.
>>
>>53447402
Just take in mind that we can hire Indians for just a part of your pay. So, unless you are the next Tony Stark you are gonna have a hard time.
>>
>>53447589
Thanks, but my country is racist as fuck and doesn't trust anything that is swiss quality(TM), so I think I'll be fine.
>>
>>53447046
Do it champ, im am electrical engineer and pursuin an m.sc. I mayored in ultra high power electrical transmission systems and in the m.sc. I will be studying failure-tolerant systems on robotics and dynamics system. I wish in a future i could do a phd but thats the long shot now. Just fuking do it man, is awesome.
>>
>>53447670
Cheers. How's the mathematics aspect of it? I assume the mathematics are taught with a strong focus on what you'll be using it for?

The only thing that puts me off a little is the fact that it encompasses lots of mathematics. I don't mind mathematics in particular, but years of having maths in school without ever being told what it's good for gave me an aversion to the subject, especially when there's visible application for it.
>>
>>53447373
Swissfag unil/epfl masterrace here.
Just go for it.
Everything RF related is like stumbling into a parallel universe that was there all along but you just never noticed.
>>
>>53447739
Thanks, that sounds like lots of fun.

One thing that's very important to me is that things I spend time on have some kind of relation to my everyday life (which is also one of the reasons why I'm interested in electronics and computers in the first place). Electronic engineering seems like the kind of where I'd be drowning in stuff that's related to my everyday life, apart from being interesting in its own right.
>>
>>53447717
Math loke mad, like in every semester. Ive got math calculus and physics, the ive got the advances version of them, then numerical analysis, abstract math, dynamic systems, applyed maths, and so on, but at the end you eill use slmost enterely matlab or similar. And got a lot of pograming courses, in my uni (usach, im chilean btw) they teach you python, c++ and c#, and some visualbasic.

Its a hard carrer? Yes, it is worth it? Its plain awesome
>>
>>53447803
Cheers, thanks for the info.
>>
>>53447774
Well, you're gonna make it a hobby if you like it or not.
You'll end up buying equipment and tools and suddenly enough left-over material will pile up in your room to start doing your own projects.

Just.. get a workbench for your home. Don't be like me and keep an oscilloscope under your bed.
>>
File: P1060149.jpg (2 MB, 3448x4592) Image search: [Google]
P1060149.jpg
2 MB, 3448x4592
>>53447846
>You'll end up buying equipment and tools and suddenly enough left-over material will pile up in your room to start doing your own projects
Oh, I'm already on the way to that.

>tfw waiting for 400 mechanical switches to get shipped
>>
>>53447717
First year here, math is literally coming out of my ears, linear algebra, calculus and differential equations so far, it's somewhat hard but I'm lovin it. Also, moderate programming experience although not necessaray still helps.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
>>53447846
> tfw had to sell aprox 400kgs of anritsu
equipment because wife wouldn't tolerate the sight of it anymore.

>>53447875
Obligatory subscriptions if you haven't already.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSignalPathBlog
https://www.youtube.com/user/mikeselectricstuff
https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog
>>
A friend of mine's brother graduated as an EE and now works for the space program.
>>
Why should anyone here care what you study?
>>
>>53447391

Is "geography" Eurospeak for "geology"? I hear " geography" from Eruos a lot and I think it has a bit of a different meaning over there as far as an area if study.
>>
>>53448064
In switzerland :
Geology is geology.
Geography is the study of maps and shit.
>>
>>53447988
not selling your wife instead
>>
>>53447988
Cheers.

>>53448064
Geology is a subsection of geography. Geography encompasses a large amount of subjects, ranging from things related to economics to weather and nature, to social sciences, maps, traffic, ethnology, regional planning and a whole lot more. It's a very broad field.
>>
>>53447046
Because it's the field that teaches you how to think about electricity, electronics, and computing from the ground up. You will learn about how all of that shit works at a level that computer science fags will never even fathom and, if you wanted to bother with it, you could learn the entirety of their field through self-guided study later on.
>>
At a "gud enuff" uni in US I knew a guy who didn't even solder anything or create anything until the second to last semester of his senior year. Needless to say, he's graduated, unemployed now and never even got an internship and now he lives with his mama
>>
>>53447373
Ex electro- and communication technology student here. I was studying this for a year in germany before moving to software engineering.

It was incredibly hard at our university. Everything was maths.
Pysics, Maths, stochastics, Electrical engineering, communication networking, programming 1 (Programming 2 was C, so that one was finally something different), literally all of these subjects were maths. All you did was calculating shit and wasting a crap ton of paper and pens doing theory.

If you manage to pressure through the first year of theoretical bullshit it gets more interesting as far as I know, though. More practical stuff besides the never ending calculations. Sadly there was no way around this hard as fuck start for a complete newb (didnt even learn anything about most of the stuff in school) so I dropped it.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.