[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
non-audiofag here. I am sick of effects being loud as fuck during
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1457500412820.jpg (220 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1457500412820.jpg
220 KB, 1200x900
non-audiofag here. I am sick of effects being loud as fuck during movies while the dialogue is still too quiet. I have fixed this issue by using 'normalize' in the MPC settings.

what does this actually do? am I suffering some kind of quality loss? probably doesn't deserve a new thread but maybe you can turn it into a player argument. MPC+madVR here.
>>
stop watching yify rips you fiestylilthang
>>
>>53446558
Normalizing simply reduces the maximum peak sound level to below a set threshold. You don't lose out on quality. It's not the same as compression.
>>
>>53446558
>I am sick of effects being loud as fuck during movies while the dialogue is still too quiet.

Watch American dubs. They're too stupid to properly differentiate between explosions and voices, so have louder voices relative to effects than other countries.
>>
>>53446769

that's what my ears think. good to know.

don't need it often but it is annoying when I sit down to watch something - even a supposed PTP golden popcorn - and can't hear the voices properly.

>>53446770

it was 1080p GP john wick that annoyed me enough to fuck with the settings. I'd like as close an experience to the cinema as possible and I can't recall having issues like this in a theater before.
>>
>>53446835
Usually, when films and TV shows are quite soft, it's because the audio hasn't been compressed to all hell like say, advertisements or big blockbusters.

Compression takes any audio signal over a set threshold, literally compresses it down a preset ratio, then boosts all the signal to a preset gain amount, usually up to where the original audio peaked, making the whole thing sound louder.
>>
>>53446901
Would that mean quieter videos would be higher quality?
>>
I blame the audio engineers too lazy to adjust the audio for stereo play.
>>
>>53446558
get well little monkey
>>
>>53446984
Very, very generally, but not necessarily, as bit quality comes into it as well, and audio can be compressed heavily and not go through a final make-up gain stage.
>>
>>53447032
>>53447025
>>53446901

OP here. if it matters, this rip has English 5.1ch DTS @ 1.509 Kbps audio. and the dialogue is so quiet that continuing to turn up the volume on my TV has no effect at all. while action scenes are stupidly loud.

short of downloading the BD rip I don't see any other way, although I can't believe that even that would work.
>>
>>53447085
>to turn up the volume on my TV
There's your problem

TV speakers are literal trash

Get an AV Receiver and at least a 5.1 speaker, voila, no longer adjusting volume for dialog, it's all perfectly balanced
>>
>>53447109
Come on man, there has to be a cheaper way than that.

>>53447085
Is there any kind of compress/compression setting on your TV? AVL (auto-volume leveling)? They more of less do the same thing and will decrease dynamic range (the difference between the really soft audio and really loud audio).
>>
>>53447241
>Come on man, there has to be a cheaper way than that.
Other than forcing your video playback software to downconvert the 5.1/7.1 to 2.0 stereo, no.
>>
>>53447257
I have the cheapest of the cheapest chink shit Viano 40" TV with literal PC monitor speaker quality sound and I use a couple settings in the audio menu to get a pretty decent result. I'm sure OP can do the same without spending a buck.
>>
>>53447109
A center speaker should suffice, as the voices in 5.1 movies usually come out from the center channel.
>>
>>53447241

nothing. it only happens on a few movies every now and then, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the quality - whatever that means - of the download.

>>53447109
>>53447308

I'd love to be able to do that but I live in an apartment building where I can hear the person above me's phone ringing. I would have complaints. I've never pulled the trigger on a set of dedicated movie headphones because it appears that all of them are shit.

>>53447299

as I said, normalizing it has proved effective. I just wondered what I was sacrificing.
>>
>>53447350
I personally use AKG K702s and they are brilliant for music production and anything I throw at them entertainment wise as they are reasonably low resistance cans (about 60 ohms).

Nice quality design with detachable micro-XLR cable should anything ever go wrong with it.
>>
>>53447395
Goddammit. Why does /g/ love telling people to spend money on shit they don't need?

OP had a question, we answered it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.