[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the latest USB standard, USB-C, is now reversible-plug. O
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: USB_Type-C_macbook.png (2 MB, 1920x814) Image search: [Google]
USB_Type-C_macbook.png
2 MB, 1920x814
So the latest USB standard, USB-C, is now reversible-plug. Okay, great.

When will we get genderless USB? When will we get genderless anything?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_of_connectors_and_fasteners#Genderless_.28hermaphroditic.29
>>
>>53445383
I hope feminists and other cum stains like that will be exterminated in concentration camps after Trump wins elections.
>>
>>53445401
Even though OPs post is a joke, I wouldn't be surprised if some feminists actually thought like this. Their opinions are often so stupid.
>>
>>53445450
I'm not joking. Read the wiki description if you don't understand why.
>>
>>53445383
I'm pretty sure making an androgynous design sacrifices throughput and endurance in terms of insertion ( in this case 'connection would be a better term I gues) cycles.
As the wiki says, the connections are used where reversing the cable/hose/train car/whatever is a costly hassle.
>>
>>53445383
> plug in pen drive into pen drive
wow amazing
>>
File: digidem3.gif (47 KB, 261x255) Image search: [Google]
digidem3.gif
47 KB, 261x255
>>53445734
>>
>>53445383
When are we going to do away with the hurtful, problematic terms "Master" and "Slave" when describing drives on a computer system?
>>
>>53445770
Implying hard drives have feelings
>>
>>53445383
Type c is a hermaphrodite plug.

Genderless plugs are magsafe and magnet-like connectors with flat contacts instead of pogopins.
>>
>>53445788
Read the wiki breh.

As a general rule, if two of the same cable can be extended without any extra hardware (couplers) then they're hermaphroditic/genderless.
>>
>Please insert the male vagina into the female penis.
>>
File: Dreamcast-VMUs-Hooked.jpg (3 MB, 3940x2340) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast-VMUs-Hooked.jpg
3 MB, 3940x2340
>>53445759
>>
>>53445788
You can't plug a macbook into a macbook via magsafe, nor plug two magsafe charger cables into each other. They are gendered, but their genders are ambiguous, possibly only decided by magnetic polarity. But because of the way magsafe connectors on laptops are usually recessed into the frame, and that the laptop is mostly a receptacle power-wise, then I'd say the laptop is female.
>>
>>53445831
>doesnt know the distinction

Hermaphroditic plugs and jacks have both male and female parts. Hermaphroditic plugs can be male in design and have female parts or vice versa, and same goes for jacks.

Genderless are if the plug and jack are the same(M-M, F-F, or MF-MF) and may require a fastener to securely attach them so long as they can passively transmit through contact

Type C is both a hermaphroditic plug and jack. Genderless USB can't exist, or else you'll route power to power without a working ground and end up shorting something.
>>
>>53445935
Is there any real problem just connecting 5V+ to 5V+? It's how I boost amperage when I need it.
>>
>>53445383
When will we have transgender USB?
>>
Trap USBs when?
>>
>>53445895
Plug, jack, and connector are all separate.

Plug is typically male and falls into a jack, typically female.

Connectors are either couplers which fasten two of each other or two of the same. A hermaphroditic connector is something that locks into itself. A genderless connector is either a receptacle that joins a plug and a jack with a third pin to secure them together, or something that requires only contact for transmission (like a magnet, or solder)

You can have a genderless connector with a male and female plug and jack respectively.

A system that has a genderless connector is a genderless system.
>>
>>53445935
The wiki says
>genderless
>Several of these latter alternate names are ambiguous in meaning, and should not be used unless carefully defined in context.
Not that I don't agree with the terminology you used.
But I don't understand how
>Type C is both a hermaphroditic plug and jack.
>>
USB-F will be a hermaphroditic

They're waiting for the F so it can stand for Futanari
>>
>>53446013
Type C has a male and female plug and jack, but the male plug has a female hole that the female jack has a male insert for.

The plug and jack are still technically male and female, but the plug is a hermaphroditic plug, and the jack is a hermaphroditic jack. See >>53446008

This is precisely why caring about gender in terms of plugs, jacks, and connectors is bullshit and why no one talks about them, even the most misogynistic/misandristic of people. No amount of social justice/gender awareness can change it.
for distinction
>>
File: $_35.jpg (16 KB, 300x272) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
16 KB, 300x272
>>53445383
Have you ever tried using a claw fitting? They fucking suck. Pic related is far superior, simply rape the family connection with the male connection and you're good to go
>>
>>53446114
Female connection, fucking autocorrect
>>
>>53445462
i did
where was the SJW shit
>>
File: y7OLQ25.png (14 KB, 646x720) Image search: [Google]
y7OLQ25.png
14 KB, 646x720
>tfw SJW shit actually impedes discussion of your totally unrelated thread topic
>>
>>53446021
Kek.
>>
>>53446405
SJW cannot affect this part of computing hardwre. The same way it cannot affect a hardware store's labels.

It is the only place where SJW can never affect it, because it is prefaced by observation, not culture.
>>
File: f230196504.png (409 KB, 553x668) Image search: [Google]
f230196504.png
409 KB, 553x668
I'm triggered by this thread.
>>
>>53446069
What? No. Type C is not hermaphroditic, even if the female end has a little plug internally. An example of a hermaphroditic plug is the SAE 12V DC connector shown on the wiki page. To be genderless, both ends of the connection need to be identical.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.