[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Efficiency tools for mac
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: macbook.png (470 KB, 1280x644) Image search: [Google]
macbook.png
470 KB, 1280x644
Been a windows user all my life. Started a job six months ago, they gave me a mac.

Any tips / tricks / efficiency tools that I should know about?

(In case it's relevant, the work is programming / web dev. Ruby on Rails, specifically.)
>>
>>53444622
Install:
> Spectacle
> Onyx
> Homebrew
now you're ready to go
>>
>>53444622
boot camp
>>
>>53444622

get these free apps

iterm 2 version 3 beta (do not ask me why it is named this)

snappy

spectacles

get these paid apps:

transmit

paw
>>
>>53444672

I've got Spectacle, and Homebrew. What value do you get out of Onyx? The internet is pretty vague about what it does.
>>
>>53444682

iTerm is pretty great. I've been using it since the start. (I've even got an Alfred workflow to open up whatever project I'm working on in iTerm with a bunch of panes running various services. I hear in the beta they've exposed more commands to applescript as well, which should be fun.)

Paw looks something like Postman, maybe? Very little of my job so far as involved working with APIs, but I suspect that'll change in the future. Bookmarking Paw – thanks!
>>
steermouse for proper mouse configuration
>>
>>53444875
>submit before I'd finished typing like a tard
steermouse allows you to adjust cursor acceleration and map (potential) extra buttons your mouse may have. it's an absolute necessity if you are using anything other than a touchpad
>>
>>53444888

Nice, that sounds pretty handy.

To be honest, I spend the majority of my time trying hard -not- to touch the mouse. But I could probably benefit from getting a mouse with a few buttons to help out when I really do need to use the mouse.
>>
>Efficiency tools for mac
>>
Alfred
Homebrew
Hammerspoon
>>
>>53444766
Onyx is similar to CCleaner.

Amphetamine can be useful if you're using a laptop. It prevents the machine from going into sleep mode.
Amethyst might be worth looking into as well, if you like tiling window managers.
>>
Install Gentoo [spoiler]or any other Linux distro because Mac is shit[/spoiler]
>>
>>53444955
It's [Ctrl] + [W] for spoiler on /g/
>>
>>53444938
Contributor to hammerspoon here. Glad to see it mentioned. Is dope. If you know lua :>
>>
How do you even change the theme since El Capitan?
>>
>>53444938

Recently bought Alfred. Had some good fun automating stuff with workflows. Couldn't live without it now.
>>
>>53444938
>>53445142

Is there anything I can do with Hammerspoon that I couldn't do with an Alfred workflow?
>>
>>53445197

Infinitely more things. Alfred workflow is a shitty GUI glue language to call out to scripts.
>>
>>53445204

"a shitty GUI glue language to call out to scripts"

That's 100% all of what you need for automating lots of stuff. A trigger, a script, and some way to view the output, which Alfred provides the glue for.

Can you give me a concrete example or two of the kinds of things you personally automate with Hammerspoon, that might be of use to me, that I couldn't do with Alfred? This is a genuine request. I don't doubt that there are things I'm overlooking.
>>
>>53445264

http://www.hammerspoon.org/docs/

I use spaces, windows, battery, brightness, wifi, menu, webview... for a variety of things.
>>
>>53444938
> Hammerspoon looks nice, let me check it out
> LUA
why ffs?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.