[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do all the common screw and bolt shapes suck so hard? Hex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 200px-Torx_01_KMJ[1].jpg (3 KB, 200x112) Image search: [Google]
200px-Torx_01_KMJ[1].jpg
3 KB, 200x112
Why do all the common screw and bolt shapes suck so hard? Hex wrenches are just a little wear on the corners away from being a circle and effectively useless, I can't count how many times this has happened to me. Philips screws could be good in theory, but for some reason all the screwdrivers are pointy in the end instead of having a flat + shaped, this makes them fit badly in many screws that looks to be the right size at first glance, and is easy to be worn down to a cone shape and effectively rendered useless once again. Flat screwdrivers can't be worn down easily but they slip easily to the sides and are awkward to use.

Pic related, star screws are one of the few standards that are actually good
>>
> star screws

It's TorX you fucking sperg
>>
>>>/diy/
>>
>>53444202
That's a torx you retarded ape.
>stripping Hex
Jesus Christ did you use paint chips instead of sugar on your cereal as a kid?
>philips strip easily
They're literally designed to so you don't over torque the fastener.
>>
>>53444919
Who the fuck cares what it's called as long as the message gets understood

>>53444260
If it was designed to not strip, the fact is that they failed horribly. Because it strips. Hex too.
Maybe it was intentionally designed to be weak so that the tool manufacturers would sell more and so that people could smugly say that if it stripped it's because you don't know how to use it, or because you didn't buy the more expensive strong version of the tool.
>>
>>53444202
Stop buying shit tools. I've never striped any of the normal fasteners you list. I Torx are better and common across Europe especially Germany.
>>
>>53445025
See, there we go.

I know that high quality tools probably won't strip. But that's the point. If the tool need to be high quality to work, it's not a very good design. None of the star/torx/whatever heads have broken on me, even with low quality tools and screws.
>>
>need to take something apart
>tiny screws + some of that blue glue
>easy now.. easy
>screw head melts under torque like a tin, shale alloy
WHY. Are good quality metal screws so expensive? The worst is when you're assembling something and it comes with shit like this.

Personally I've always liked robertson. Hard to slip out of.
>>
>>53445061
You can't design around American quality
>>
>>53445113
>Robertson
Why isn't this more widely used?
>>
>>53445148
Something to do with the inventor not wanting to get bamboozled with patenting shit in the USA, IDK.

So we got Phillips head instead. Which is awful.
>>
>>53445202
Well why aren't they used in Yurop then? Nobody cares about USA.
>>
File: screwdrivertip.png (3 KB, 322x322) Image search: [Google]
screwdrivertip.png
3 KB, 322x322
>>53444202
I grinded down a flat head to look something like this and I use it for basically everything. Works with flat, tri, philips, torx, and even pentalobe. Fits sizes from a teeny cellphone screw, all the way to a pc case screw.
>>
File: IMG_20160312_065313.jpg (790 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160312_065313.jpg
790 KB, 1944x2592
>>53445310
Here is pic of actual thing, have built 2 computers with this screw driver.
>>
>>53445395
your screwdrivers are hollow?
>>
>>53445486
No, what makes you think they're hollow?
>>
>>53445499
it looks like that in the picture
>>
>>53445395
This belongs in a tech gore thread.
>>
>>53445564
Stay mad, faggot. I can take apart an iPhone, Gameboy Advance, Laptop, and Desktop computer all with the same screw driver :^)
>>
Tri-Wing BTFO all others.

Posi-drive and phillips+square also god-tier.
>>
>>53445584
I can also do that with a brick
>>
File: screws mothafucka.jpg (75 KB, 800x411) Image search: [Google]
screws mothafucka.jpg
75 KB, 800x411
>>53445113
>>53445148
>>53445202

I've used a shit load of wood screws that have a robertson head or hybrid heads. They are a lot better then philips if you are in a hurry and don't want stripped fasteners. From Michigan, USA.
>>
>>53445564
Afro-engineering
>>
>>53444986
So yes, you did eat paint chips as a child.
>>
Be sure to use the correct size when using torx, always check two sizes if you are not sure.

The wrong size will look like it fits but you will most likely strip the screw.
>>
>>53444202
>not buying one hex-socket screwdriver with commonly-available bit sets

Bits and screws are disposable, it's time you learned this.
>>
>>53445691
>I've used a shit load of wood screws
Do you work for nVidia? :^)
>>
>>53445602
y tho. Looks like another "proprietary because fuck you" screw
>>
>>53444202
The screw designs are probably patented and used to save .0001g of material.
>>
>>53445310
>>53445395
>>53445584
That is actually quite impressive.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.