[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to install Gentoo for the first time. I got it all working,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: screen.jpg (771 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
screen.jpg
771 KB, 1600x900
Trying to install Gentoo for the first time.

I got it all working, changed some USE Flags, did emerge -avDN @world, everything went fine.

I reboot, login, and startx now goes to a black screen with the LXQt mouse cursor.

Ctrl+Alt+F2 for console doesn't work now. I'm able to chroot using the Gentoo install ISO and can run emerge from that to fix packages.

What do you think has been damaged by update? X? Display Drivers? LXQt? The Kernel?
Or is it a USE flag problem?
>>
>>53441592
>this music
Install windows
>>
>>53442154
I've narrowed the problem down

The screen goes full resolution to desktop, wallpaper, icons

The mouse will move, click will run, but cannot click anything

Is this an X problem?
>>
File: dsfffff.png (270 KB, 1280x655) Image search: [Google]
dsfffff.png
270 KB, 1280x655
>startx now goes to a black screen
typical X
>>
>>53442281
mean to say clock* will run
>>
>>53442281
Did you configure the mouse?
>>
>>53442314
Why would I need to configure the mouse after an update?
>>
>>53442281
Unlikely. Check INPUT_DEVICES and evdev drivers. May be kernel associated if you recently updated your kernel but I've never experienced such problems. The problem may be that you dumped some of the xf86 drivers and need to reconfigure or reinstall them, so go ahead and do that (you need at least input-keyboard, input-mouse, input-evdev, etc).

tbqh, anything LX/OpenBox is ricer garbage and I shun it anyway due to its slow development pace.
>>
>>53442350
Maybe you'd changed just that session's mouse config, and not the startup to make it load automatically?
>>
>>53441592
i never had problems like this but read the logs and try to reinsall everything X related. its unlikely that you damaged the kernel tho
>>
>>53442488
The only other thing I did before update was remove udev/eudev and install systemd because it was the only way to get passed this Package Block error.

Is systemd fucking me?
>>
OP here

I installed Gentoo with genkernel

when I emerged world, did it recompile the kernel differently?
>>
OP here again

I fixed the problem for anyone else who finds this archived thread.

First I ran genkernel all and it fixed a few errors.

Then I checked the Xorg logs /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it said error with evdev.

So I installed x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
>>
OP here.....

It only worked for a while and now the desktop freezes

Why /g/? Why?
>>
install gentoo
>>
File: i_killed_my_pet-320x240.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
i_killed_my_pet-320x240.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>53443719
this is what happens when i try
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.