[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you fell for the intel+nvidia meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 01349756.jpg (48 KB, 500x486) Image search: [Google]
01349756.jpg
48 KB, 500x486
>tfw you fell for the intel+nvidia meme
>>
I don't feel like I've fallen for anything, infact I'm very pleased with my purchases while my AMD computer has given me nothing but trouble.
>>
Nothing wrong unless you bought skylake
>>
I have an "8 core" (2 logical per physical) AMD CPU and an NVIDIA graphics card; I'm very satisfied with the way things have gone.
I really don't notice a difference between an Intel CPU and an AMD CPU; if you put most of the people from /g/ infront of two different and told them to use it (without cheating) they probably wouldn't be able to tell you which is which.
The biggest speed increase I've noticed over the past couple of years has been when I switched to a samsung 850 pro 256gb; that shit has made boot times and application load times dramatically quicker.
>>
>>53439816
whoops I meant "in front of two different computers* (one with a good AMD CPU and one with a good Intel CPU)"
>>
>>53439816
>I have an "8 core" (2 logical per physical) AMD CPU
I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist.
>>
>>53439816
>9590 vs 5960x

Depends on what you have them do.
>>
>>53439846
Okay anon.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core
Description: Socket: AM3+, Clockspeed: 4.0 GHz, Turbo Speed: 4.2 GHz, No of Cores: 4 (2 logical cores per physical), Max TDP: 125 W
Other names: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
CPU First Seen on Charts: Q4 2012
CPUmark/$Price: 54.60 Overall Rank: 144
Last Price Change: $163.92 USD (2012-10-24)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8350.html
>>
>>53440007
Your source is full of shit. There are 8 physical cores on the die. 8 integer units, every two of them sharing parts of the cache and a floating point unit. Having more logical cores than physical cores would imply hyper-threading or similar technology, which is not used in this product. Maybe not at all by AMD.
http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/AMD-Steamroller-vs-Bulldozer.jpg

>inb4 4 FPUs means 4 cores
How can there be CPUs with no floating point units then?
>>
>>53440164

Pretty sure he was using division to make himself look smert.
>>
>>53439846
>>53440164
>>53440351
http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf
>The AMD Bulldozer, Piledriver and Steamroller processors can have from one to eight compute units with two execution cores per unit. It can run one thread per core or two threads per unit.
>Instruction cache and fetching is shared between the two cores in an execution unit. The instruction decoder is also shared between two cores in Bulldozer and Piledriver, while the Steamroller has one decoder for each core.
>>
>>53440412
I should have also included the following lines
>Integer execution units and level-1 data cache is separate for each core. The floating point and vector execution units and level-2 cache are also shared between the two cores of an execution unit. A possible level-3 cache is shared between all compute units. Some versions have an integrated graphics processing unit.
>Each core contains four parallel pipelines and can execute up to four instructions per clock cycle. Instructions are split up as little as possible and as late as possible in the pipeline. A read-modify or read-modify-write instruction generates only one macro-operation at the decode stage. The length of the pipeline is not known.
>The design has more focus on power saving than previous designs. It saves power quite aggressively by slowing down the clock speed most of the time. Some versions also lower the voltage to the CPU when the clock speed is reduced. The maximum clock speed is only obtained after a long sequence of CPU-intensive code.
>>
>>53440412
Yes, indeed. What is your argument?
>>
>tfw whens u fell for the Nvidia 660ti meme
>>
>>53440478
it has 4 compute units, meaning it has 8 execution cores. It runs one thread per core, meaning it runs 8 threads.
The sources I listed previously tried to clue you in on that.
The second source from my first response to you http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8350.html even specified how many compute "cores" (it really means units) it has
>>
>>53440164
google intel 80486SX
"floating point disabled" is the keyword
>>
File: 1452454852899.jpg (86 KB, 487x460) Image search: [Google]
1452454852899.jpg
86 KB, 487x460
>>53439728
> not using Intel + Intel
>>
>>53440519
>http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8350.html
Yes they say that it has 8 cores and 8 threads. As is expected.
Your (assuming) quotes in >>53440412 and >>53440430 further prove this point and I do not see any key difference to what I said in >>53440164
>>53440007
The quoted specification here however implies that there are only 4 cores in the FX-8350, which is not true.

>>53440530
I know.
>>
>>53440605
That's a pretty deep state of denial you're in, friend.
When people say physical cores they mean compute units.
It has 4 compute units, 8 "logical"/"execution" cores, and 8 threads.
>>
>>53439766
What's wrong with Skylake? Just got a Skylake CPU
>>
>>53440686
Nothing, they're just meme bashing
>>
I know that feel. Not sure about CPU, but I'm getting an AMD GPU next time. So much fucking breakage with nvidia driver updates. Literally the only breakage I've had on arch was from nvidia.
>>
>>53439728
Literally best purchase I done hardware wise in years.

Also evga is amazing.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.