[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Transmitting on Police Radio Frequencies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: police-radio.jpg (31 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
police-radio.jpg
31 KB, 300x200
How easy is this to accomplish? Do all you need is a radio transmitter to tune in to their frequencies or is it more complicated than that?
>>
Easy to do hard to get away with. Nice triplicates btw.
>>
So what kind of equipment would I need???
>>
>>53437554
A radio.
>>
>>53437444
shit you could probably do it with a 2 way radio
I used to pick up police signals on mine all the time
>>
>>53437444
All you need a radio and a place to hide from the feds.
>>
I mean, yeah, you can pick up police signals but isn't it another thing to transfer something back?
>>
>>53437775
Why? They don't use any encryption, it's just an analog radio signal. Anybody with a transmitter can join, and get hunted down.
>>
>>53437834
Wrong they use a pin code. you can transmit on their frequency but it wont play on their speakers.
>>
>>53437885
>receive the full signal
>can't send it back because of a pincode
>which you received
>>
>>53437923
R-tard. bouncing a message is different to creating a new one. you need to have recorded the pin to be able to be herd on their system. what is hard to understand here?
Yes you can listen to them.
No you can't just send a message to them without sending the pin code.
Think of it like having a user in irc on mute. they can send messages all they like but your not going to see it.
>>
>>53437991
>receive message with pincode
>include pincode in your next message
Either it's not only a pincode or you're actually retarded.
>>
File: DAFAQ.jpg (132 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
DAFAQ.jpg
132 KB, 1600x900
>>53438019
It's a filter you dip.
>>
>>53438035
>filtering based solely on a pincode
>put this pincode in your message
>magically it gets filtered while it look exactly like other messages
I knew I shouldn't be biting obvious bait but if I don't some idiot on here might actually believe this.
>>
It depends.

In some states, local public safety departments still use 2-meter analog channels on a standard repeater system that with a standard Part 97 approved handheld you could probably deviate onto public safety channels and be heard if you know the PL tone for the repeater.

I'm part of ARES and so we often configure out ham gear to operate on those channels in an emergency and work with public safety for disaster drills of sorts. Its not that uncommon.

However, it's the state repeater systems that are tricky. Most of them use digital trunking systems and digital send and receive. Though not necessarily encrypted, buying the radio to talk on those setups is expensive and although its trivial to configure your radio to join the network and talk it is very illegal and you'll be very fucked if you hold up state channels.

Then you've got weirder setups like in Ohio where they have a combination of analog audio trunks with digital trunk control signals and god knows what else. At that point it becomes rather unfeasible to try and mess with them.
>>
>>53438111
>>53437444
Whoa...
>>
>>53438111
Because anyone that has the ability to capture and use said pin code knows better than to transmit with it.
It's basically a child lock. that's all.
(day to day radio)
The operations radio is actually encrypted.
>>
dodgy thread/10
>>
>>53438153
No denying that. The problem I had with that anon's argument is that he made it sound like the pincode was an end all measure which makes it impossible. If you're actually smart enough to find it out and include it (assuming it does use a pincode of course) you're obviously not going to send stuff.
>>
>>53438153
>security through obscurity
>>
>>53438181
He explained it pretty clearly.
I think you were caught up in the whole everything is encrypted meme.
>>
>>53437444
It did it once by mistake when I was younger. Got to listen to a cop talk about what he was planning on doing to his wife when he got home.

I keyed in an said something immature like "you gonna have some sexy time", he replied with "what!?". Then I turned it off because I figured some law was being broken.
>>
>>53438153
It's not a pin code in most places. In Finland at least we have frequencies from around 90hz down reserved for use by the state's military and emergency services. When I was doing my military service I used some radio equipment. We used some form of encryption and frequency switching so it's pretty much impossible to randomly tune in. This also meant that unless you had the same seed for the frequency changing program and same encryption you could not really do anything to us.
>>
>>53438153
>The operations radio is actually encrypted.
That's why you have to bribe a cop to "loose" his radio that already has the keys loaded.
https://youtu.be/LNOrw6Shnsw?t=13
>>
>>53438531
> When I was doing my military service I used some radio equipment. We used some form of encryption and frequency switching

But is the police frequency using the same tech?
In my mind it shouldn't because of the need for the public to have emergency monitoring. and also cuts out having a guy to relay whats happening should it be needed.
However I wont be surprised if that's not the case because of lookyloos (sticky beaks)
>>
>>53438660
Not sure about police or any other emergency services, I just don't think it would be hard for them to implement since we are still using old Israeli AN/PRC 77 Radios in the ground forces, ours date back to propably the Crusades. I would not be surprised since police have lower quantity and thus better equipment.
>>
>>53437834
>hunted down
How would that be accomplished?
How would they locate you if you only sent one message?
>>
>>53438909
They could look at the strength of the transmission from multiple locations (triangulation). I've heard coast guard records/logs transmissions on their channels which allows them to easily hunt down rogue transmitters. If they do it other organizations probably do.
>>
>>53438909
Triangulation. Get a cheep CB radio, and start chatting on the emergency frequency. They say hey you at X street stop using the emergency frequency.
The timing these days is bloody spot on.
>>
File: radio.png (1 MB, 2400x1800) Image search: [Google]
radio.png
1 MB, 2400x1800
>>53438909
When you send a message, anyone who is looking at the area with the proper equipment like NSA or Military can see a huge fucking burst of radiation in the spot you sent the message from. Pic sorta related, looks like one of the examples I was shown in the military about the radiation
>>
File: 1440115272926.jpg (64 KB, 469x402) Image search: [Google]
1440115272926.jpg
64 KB, 469x402
>local police went digital
>can no longer listen to scanner to see what's going on when something goes down
>>
>>53437444
>How easy is this to accomplish? Do all you need is a radio transmitter to tune in to their frequencies or is it more complicated than that?

It's all digital and encrypted over here. Good luck trying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIRVE
>>
>>53438603
https://youtu.be/LNOrw6Shnsw?t=230
>find a dude wearing a badge, say look dude here's $5,000, loose your radio

Is it this easy?
>>
>>53437444
I am a med student (Poland)

On my uni we have a "special interest group" for emergency medicine.
Since we have all the equipment on the EMT level (including a lifepak monitor/defib) we applied to our local State Fire Service department as a volunteer paramedic support unit.

On weekends we do shifts waiting for shit to go down so we can jump into our car and go help

Our radiotelephone was uploaded with the keys to access the frequencies restricted to Ministry of Internal Affairs.

Otherwise you can't do shit with those freqs.
>>
>>53439050
I bet it would be much easier for you to end up cuffed, taken to the station, and booked for attempting to bribe an officer of the law with a measly $100 bucks. The other $4900 would just be the two of yous little secret.
>>
>>53440524
kek
>>
>>53438531
I remember that. Everyday was a new clearence code you had to decypher on a lettered chart... 25C here.
>>
My father had a CB radio and scanner. Remember him sitting in his chair smoking a cig listening. But he was a NY hospital cop. He wrked at tje wrst hosp with all drug,pysch and alcholol wards. Everyday was combat he say to my mom
>>
File: cyka.gif (148 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
cyka.gif
148 KB, 175x175
Or you could just google what talk group they use for their radios, spend too much money on an overpriced motorola HT, and then merrily shitpost away until you get vanned by a combination of autistic weathermen and police.
>>
>>53438964
yea FCC doesn't fuck around with amateur radio people transmitting on emergency frequencies. they triangulate fast and a first time, non-accidental offense is like a $10,000 fine or significant jail time
>>
File: Seu Leu Alamari.jpg (31 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
Seu Leu Alamari.jpg
31 KB, 480x358
>>53437514
>hard to get away with
ahahahahahahahahhahaha

Just get yourself one of those Baofeng UV5R-TP's off ebay or something. They cant do shit.
>>
>>53437444
Also depends on where you live. In Europe and some states you can't even listen to the emergency services let alone talk.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.