[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone installed linux on macbook?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: kira.jpg (148 KB, 520x600) Image search: [Google]
kira.jpg
148 KB, 520x600
So I'am thinking about installing fedora on my macbook, is that completely useless and silly or not? I have no previous experience with linux whatsoever so should I just buy a cheap laptop to experiment with linux or just go for it?
>>
File: linus-eff-you-640x363.png (213 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
linus-eff-you-640x363.png
213 KB, 640x359
This guy has.
>>
The only real reason to own a Macintosh is for the hardware+software integration so no. Probably not a good idea.
>>
>>53436575
This.
Just use XQuartz if you want another DE
>>
>>53436575
Yea, so installing linux would be waste of good hardware, no?
>>
>>53436564
This is actually true. Don't have a more flattering picture though.
>>
>>53436613
A waste?
Considering darwin, the kernel in OS X is abysmal, not really.
>>
File: bjastr.jpg (100 KB, 520x648) Image search: [Google]
bjastr.jpg
100 KB, 520x648
Also, if it makes any difference, I'm pretty interested in learning C++ so would that make any difference in the long run?
>>
>>53436734
It depends on how many other languages you know.
>>
>>53436734
The C++ programming language by the same author is better.
>>
>>53436756
Well for now only python and java, but I'm quite interested in automation and robotics, so will be learning some of those.
>>
>>53436639
Darwin is the core OS. XNU is the kernel.
>>
>>53436888
Mayb learn C instead of C++.
>>
>>53436888
I work with robotics, we mostly program in c++.
You don't need to install linux to learn c++ though.
You can and should, but not because of c++.
>>
Any reason why you don't just install in bootcamp
>>
>>53436535
Assuming you're using Ubuntu, Arch, or some other distribution with a relatively up-to-date kernel, you're going to have support for almost all parts out of the box. The only thing that won't have immediate It Just Werks™ status is the wifi cards. That requires tracking down the b43 kernel module, or whichever one matches your specific model of Mac, from god knows where. The unholy abomination that is Broadcom unfortunately provides the wifi cards in most, if not all, Macs.
>>
>>53436535
Currently running fedora 23 on my mbp from a while back. Works flawlessly. Only issue were wifi drivers until I tracked them down.
>>
If you want to experiment with Linux and have no idea what you're doing, just install Linux in a VM and work from there.
>>
File: 20160311_223315_HDR.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20160311_223315_HDR.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2340
Just do it
>>
>>53440857
Did you seriously tapped your camera ?
>>
>>53442595
I also tape mine. Were you kidding? Because if you weren't then you are naive or stupid.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.