[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best free alternative to office? i need a free alternative to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Microsoft-Office-Logo.jpg (32 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft-Office-Logo.jpg
32 KB, 800x600
best free alternative to office?
i need a free alternative to office.
i currently have wps office but the 'free trial' is about to run out and that means i will no longer be able to save as a office 2007-2010 docx. format and there will be a watermark when printing.
what is the best free alternative which is fully compatible with microsoft office?
i only use word, excel and powerpoint.
>>
openoffice
>>
libreoffice
>>
Have you tried saving to pdf?
PDF is the preferred method of document exchange, since it's an open format and is universally supported on all platforms
>>
LibreOffice
>>
Typewriter master race
>>
libreoffice
>>
>>53434772

LibreOffice 5
>>
The reason it needs to be compatible is because i will be bringing documents home from college, and taking documents into college to finish, where they use microsoft office.
I know If it was simply as essay i could type it in notepad, but i am doing reports with images, and it takes a long time to format it properly.
>>
Buy Microsoft Office.
Open Office and libre will fuck you more than one time with Format failures.
It won't be the same.
>>
Botnet Docs
>>
File: libre-office4-640x360.png (187 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
libre-office4-640x360.png
187 KB, 640x360
>>53434772
Pic related on desktop.
If you need MS macros, use

https://office.live.com/start/Word.aspx
>>
Did you ask no college if they could possibly provide you with free office through dream spark or msdnaa programs?
If not a year of office 365 is around 50usd. Or maybe try a site like g2a. They are selling cheap OEM license.
>>
If it's for essays, papers etc lust learn to use Latex. Saves more time and headache in the long run. If you're in STEM you're going to have to use it eventually anyway.

For presentations you can easily pirate MS Office 2003, later versions load .ppt just fine in my experience. Libreoffice Impress also usually works if you're not doing anything fancy with custom animations and the like.

Libreoffice Calc works fine for spreadsheets. It's basically a clone. Google Docs is also good if you are working on a team project that requires them.
>>
fuckit.
i just bought office 2013 home and student for £50 from coastalsoftware.com
>>
op again, thanks for the suggestions guys, but i decided i can't be bothered with fucking on every time i transfer a document between computers.
microsoft wins again.
>>
>>53436493
What degree are you doing btw?
>>
>>53436493
they're not paying for this little effort in shilling
>>
>>53434772
Man the fuck up and use LaTeX.
>>
I use a copy of Microsoft Office 2007 that does not need a key, ever. Shit is the bees knees. Could provide a download if needed.
>>
LaTeX

Anything else is for little bitches
>b-b-but I'm not in academia!
Enjoy wasting time fucking with the margins, figures, tables, and spacing then
>>
>>53436502
engineering, it involves lots of presentations and reports with images. Far too much of a mess on reformatting every time i transfer my work to another pc
>>
>>53436585
Eh, not sure about engineering but anything science and you are eventually going to have to use Latex for papers. If you're going to pursue a PhD it would be a worthwhile investment to learn it now. Might be anyway just to save time on writing stuff. What year are you in?
>>
>>53436644
thakns for the advice but i doubt i'll need to learn that. it's actually aerospace engineering i'm doing. In my second year and just have some big reports coming up
>>
Just pirate it, nigger. Who the fuck pays for MS Office?
>>
>>53436673
Eh, it's up to you but I would consider it a worthwhile investment. Both for paper writing and CVs/portfolios.

Don't try to do it now though you'll just waste time that you could be using to write your reports.
>>
>>53436550

yeeees pleaaaaaaseee
>>
>>53436701

donde piratear?
>>
>>53436214
this
>>
>>53437399
You still here?
>>
LibreOffice.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77 KB, 1920x1080
Thread's over.
Go home.
>>
>>53436579
>LaTeX
>Enjoy wasting time fucking with the margins, figures, tables, and spacing then
You're seriously telling someone they're wasting time using Office when you're suggesting LaTeX?

lol

>>53436585
>>53436644
The proponents of LaTeX for engineering/science on this board are overwhelming. If you're just going for your undergrad degree, no one is going to give a shit.

I got my EE undergrad a few years back and I did use LaTeX (especially when it came time for resumes), but not a single professor or TA gave a shit or even noticed whether I used it or not.

Just save time and use Office. A big thing about what makes a great engineer vs. an engineer that never gets anything done is that sometimes you need to settle for the solution that just works on time rather than the solution that may be prettier. Engineering is about practicality much of the time.
>>
>>53437399
Not sure if you're around still, but if you are, I had uploaded the file for you on Mega. I usually bring this copy around with me on my EDC flash drive in case there is ever a school computer that needs Office on it.

https://mega.nz/#F!qBoWARRD!LNm2s8KYkUbxxCsyPKLkkQ
>>
Too lazy to just pirate Microsoft Word 2013?
>>
Google drive
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.