[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LISP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Curious Commonlispbearfag.png (172 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
Curious Commonlispbearfag.png
172 KB, 639x480
Redpill me on Lisp /g/.

It sounds like some hot shit but i cant find where to get started.

Do you work/have worked with Lisp?

What is the scope of it?

If it is so good then why isnĀ“t it used more?
>>
Start with SICP, duh.
>>
>>53431801
>>53431789
>>
File: 1211479920311zd8.jpg (57 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
1211479920311zd8.jpg
57 KB, 576x768
git gud first
>>
Start with The Little Lisper or The Little Schemer. It's an excellent book to get you thinking in a Lisp way
>>
>>53431789
It was used widely in the 80s due a lot of AI research, but in the mid-to-late 80s (between 1985 and 1987), the popularity of AI research dropped. Thus Lisp, while extremely useful to know and use,isn't as widely used. If you go into AI, you'll probably be using Scheme which is the most popular Lisp Dialect nowadays.
>>
>>53431789
>lain
she was the original botnet
>>
>>53431789
>Lisp
I gonna redpill you to Fortran.
>>
>>53431789
Well, it is still used some places. The thing you need to remember, is that every language that had a large amount of code written in it is still used. Lisp, Fortran, COBOL, prolog even: they're all still used at very minimum for legacy reasons.

The reason it's not popular now is that many other languages picked up on what was powerful with it, and included it in their own, easier to use, languages. Some people don't mind the annoyances and use it anyway.

Most older imperative languages support at least rudimentary functional programming, but many modern langues are truly multi paradigm, letting you easily mix the best of both worlds. Think ruby, python, go, and even Perl.
>>
>>53431789
>Do you work/have worked with Lisp?
Clojure and Common Lisp. Yes.

>What is the scope of it?
Everything.

>If it is so good then why isn't it used more?
Its power and flexibility to be able to deal with any problem domain is its own issue and preventing it from becoming popular. It's a programmable programming language and people often write new syntax for their specific projects. Lack of a Single Standard To Rule Them All has created an obstacle for people who want to know the Right way to do things and follow a step-by-step how-to in lisp development; there is more than one way to skin a cat and lisp lets the user freely express that.
>>
It's literally Judaism the programming language
>>
>>53440235
It has plenty of annoyances though, and I think those have add much to do with it losing popularity as any lack of standards.

Ruby has really taken the mantle of programmable programming language, and been used again and again to make DSLs. Not surprising, considering Matz based his language heavily on lisp.
>>
>>53440285
Muslims write children's songs about killing its practitioners?
>>
>>53440551
WHAT ANNOYANCES?

Also CL is well defined by ANSI
>>
>>53440551
Ruby was only popular because of Rails.
>>
>>53440634
It frankly fights you when you need iterative code, and OO is insane inside it.
>>
>>53440737
What?

Loop alone makes iterative code painless and even `do' is not bad.

Also CLOS is like the best OO system, but it does have some features missing.
>>
>>53440721
No. Ruby only gets a bad reputation becuse if rails. It's the language puppet, chef, logstash and metasploit are written in. It's a solid language.
>>
>>53440762
You really drank the koolaid, didn't you?
>>
>>53440824
Really tell me how Loop is fighting you when it's designed to make so many tasks painless beyond your simple for loops.
>>
File: Common_lisp_fag_commits_sudoku.gif (150 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
Common_lisp_fag_commits_sudoku.gif
150 KB, 250x188
thank you all for your input
>>
>>53440805
Actually, no, ruby only ever got any momentum as a language because of rails which allowed for start ups to rapidly prototype their web-based products.
A few products used by a few big companies doesn't automatically make a language good.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.