[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn to program and enter the console emulation/rom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 11gsvx1.jpg (149 KB, 1000x462) Image search: [Google]
11gsvx1.jpg
149 KB, 1000x462
I want to learn to program and enter the console emulation/rom hacking scene, I know it will likely take me a few years before I can even dream of contributing though.

What's a good place to start?

Languages?

I assume I need to know more than just programming to help understand the hardware I'll be emulating?
>>
Emulation requires engineering skills too right?

At least the very initial point, right?
>>
>>53431229
i'm obviously not into this so i'm hardly any kind of authority there, but if i were you i'd start from simple "write nes emulator" tutorials you can find in googles. It'll surely explain to you basic shit like assembly instructions and how to write something that'll interpret them properly. And it should be a lot of fun, at least i think so.
>>
>lean basic programming skills (language agnostic)
>decide what platform you want to program (nes, snes, etc)
>investigate the language of the platform (inb4 it's an assembly variant)
>lean that language
>compare change sets between clean roms and simple to more advanced hacks
>post on their forums + irc
>???
>do stuff!
>>
>>53431358
I'll give that a go.
>>53431405
I guess that's a start.
>>
>>53431229
>Languages?
If you seriously need to ask this then you will fail. Just fuck off
>>
>>53431509
Everyone starts somewhere
>>
This kind of thing is mostly done by "old" people with wide knowledge of many fields, back then when it was pretty much mandatory to know everything: fundamental physics, analog circuit design, boolean logic, digital circuit design, CPU architecture, system architecture, assembly, C, compiler design, object oriented programming, realtime programming...

You won't do that very easily.
>>
Rom hacking = assembly;
Writing an emulator is a whole other beast though
>>
>>53431229
I am on same road bro. Want to contact me?
I am too confused and don't know where to start. Come to Irc now?
>>
Thehappiecat youtube channel is very good. Just for inspiration.
>>
the best place to start is to learn the C/assembly/machine-code abstraction.

once you've done that, make a toy CPU written in C with its own machine code (a bytecode interpreter).

once you've done that, you're ready to enter the emulation scene
>>
>>53431229
Can anyone tell.
Why byte is always 8-bit?How and what decide it?[Microprocessor architecture or language designer]
What does 64-bit CPU convey apart from that its word size is 64 bit meaning it can process data of 64bit at a time?
>>
>>53431941
these sound like test questions, Rajeesh
>>
Alright real quick, learn something like MIPS it's easy to start off with. A good intro book is digital design and computer architecture 2nd edition - Paterson. It will get you in the right mindset
>>
Also try to get a few other people in on it or else you will burn yourself out. You can't do everything in a timely manner
>>
>>53431964
Not test question. I am curious myself.
>>
>>53431991
A processor has 5MHZ theoretical clock speed.
It processes 15 instruction per clock speed.
MIPS is million instruction per seconds.
What is the MIPS rating of the above processor?
>>
File: 1456243332065.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1456243332065.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>53432133
>>
>>53431646
Learn assembly then, cool.

>>53431898
Can do, thanks.

>>53431918
That SOUNDS easy enough, but I still bet it's grueling and am bracing for that.

>>53431991
Isn't MIPS like the predecessor to ARM?
>>
>>53432023
I'll be a hobbyist for a few years until I become valuable and can join a team probably.
>>
>>53431229
Learn to program C
>>
>>53431229
The PSP scene is a GREAT way to start

Even if the PSP is pretty much dead, the resources are mature, you've got a lot of open source shit to look up (by example, coldbird's CFW).
A good start would be wololo's forums to learn the basics, he has a section specifically for devs
>>
>>53432182
>Isn't MIPS like the predecessor to ARM?
lol no. N64 and PS1, PS2, PSP use MIPS processors. They use to be owned by SGI, but they are now part of Imagination Technologies (PowerVR). AFAIK, GBA, DS, 3DS, and Vita are the only ARM based consoles. iOS and Android are largely built for ARM as well. GameCube, Wii, WiiU, XBOX360, and PS3 are PowerPC based.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.