[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learn how to program being not so good at math
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Shining_Obsession_ASCII.png (59 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Shining_Obsession_ASCII.png
59 KB, 1024x768
Hello, i want to learn how to program, i'm not so good at math, but i love it, math and programming, what language i learn first, and what can i do?
>>
>>53428201
I think you can get pretty far without being good at math, but you'd have to be competent at it.
>>
>>53428201
You do not need to be good at math to learn how to program. Computer is good at math, let computer do math while you do program.

Kind regards,
>>
>>53428201
>what language i learn first
Assembly
>and what can i do
Kill yourself
>>
Thanks for the answers, that's a smart answer, dude, let the computer be good in math for u. :D
>>
>>53428201
>i'm not so good at math

Get good at math first.
You'll be a mediocre programmer at best if you can't even work out why binary search is O(logn)
>>
QBASIC
Or even GW-BASIC, if you just want to start making text games.
After that you can move on to Turbo Pascal.
>>
There's not a lot of advanced mathematics early programming. Like >>53428330 you could get pretty far and do some neat things without being the greatest at math.
>>
>>53428670
Surely beats C
>>
>>53428359
thanks, Pajeet.

OP go download two textbooks: One on intro discrete math, the other on intro algebra. Read through them and watch youtube lectures on the topics you don't understand. Meanwhile, learn basic programming in Java. Daniel Liang's textbooks are really good for starting from no programming knowledge to data structures, algorithms, and more advanced topics.

Just give this stuff a couple hours every day and you'll learn a lot. It's not going to be quite the same as formally learning development in university, but I guarantee it will be as good as any "code camp" that might try to scam you.
>>
>>53430228
Ok, thanks, dude, i will do it. :D
>>
>>53428359
The computer knows nothing about math. It only knows the most simple and basic arithmetic.
>>
>>53428518

desu there's two tiers of programmers imo.

one tier is programmers who use things that other programmers make

other tier is programmers who make things that other programmers use

you don't have to even be mediocre at math to be able to use things that other people make. theyve already abstracted all of the tough decisions out for you.
>>
Math is only going to help you, even if you can get by without it. Spend some time working through Khan academy exercises to get up to a reasonable level.
>>
>>53428201
Who came up with this "math is related to programming" thing. Not even 1% of all programs require more than basic math.
>>
>>53428201
You can get pretty far without it if you learn how to write good code, but you won't do the fun stuff. If you don't think the stuff that may need a little algorithms is fun, programming may not be the best fit for you.
>>
>>53434334
people confusing computer science and scientific programming with run of the mill coding that 99% of people do and want to do
>>
>>53434334
I think the basic thought process and approach to problem solving is similar to math, but you could probably say that about anything.
>>
if you go into programming now without learning any math, you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

Basic programming knowledge is quickly becoming a requirement for any desk job, if you don't pursue the skills that set you apart from the rest of the workforce, you're dooming yourself to a life of mediocrity and repetitive, mind numbing, work.

If you want to do programming, but don't want to bother with math, rather become a plumber or welder and live a long happy and fulfilling life with your 2.5 kids.
>>
OP should tell why he thinks that he is not good at math and what he knows about math.
"I'm not so good" can mean anything.
>>
>>53434605
Even at university level computer engineering / science there's only probability and statistics and linear algebra courses, which is a rather small part. Things like algorithms, Turing machines, complexity theory etc. Sure, but I would classify that under computer science and not math.
>>
>>53428201
You really ought to learn mathematics, properly. There are plenty of free online materials for doing so. If that's not up to scratch you could always try Libgen.
>>
>>53428201
If you just want to do app development or normal code monkey shit you don't actually need maths beyond high school level.
>>
>>53434416
Lol check out this normie
>>
>>53428201
If you want no more than 30k a year or some stupid CS:GO bots you don't need math
>>
>>53434662
>with your 2.5 kids.

Ha, I get it ;^) keked a bit
>>
File: BE A WOMAN.jpg (161 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
BE A WOMAN.jpg
161 KB, 612x792
>>53428201
>what language i learn first

English
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.