[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adding the Skylake i3, since mobos and DDR4 are cheap now. Downgrading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: Untitled.png (279 KB, 3556x1108) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
279 KB, 3556x1108
Adding the Skylake i3, since mobos and DDR4 are cheap now. Downgrading Vishera a tier, and upgrading the i3 a tier. This makes the AMD/Intel divide a bit more pronounced, but also divides the tiers by RAM type.

What do you think?
>>
okay
>>
I support it. The new i3s are becoming really good options compared to the way games are utilising the power they provide.

Haswell i3s were already an okay choice compared to FX chips, but I think this is a good call given what Skylake brings in comparison.
>>
You should recommend the NH-D15 with every AMD processor.
>>
>>53426161
I would put the 8350 with the i3.
The i3 is still only a dual core, so lots of games will give the advantage to the quad cores.
>>
File: Untitled.png (807 KB, 2477x1216) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
807 KB, 2477x1216
>>53426272
Hue.

>>53426206
>>53426219
Thanks.

I am also updating the descriptions of items. Pic related. The new descriptions have a lot more info. Any suggestions for the categories that are yet to be updated? Not sure what criteria/specs to put for HSFs and cases.

PSU:
-wattage
-efficiency
-(maybe?) "quality" ratings, taken for jonnyGuru or a similar site

SSD:
-form factor
-speed (sequential, random, and compared to the best PCIe SSD)

HSF:
-expected temp delta (???)
-expected noise in idle and under stress (???)

Case:
-size
-number of fans
-has dust filter?
-????

Suggestions, comments, and criticisms are welcome.
>>
>>53426310
To add to this, I recommend getting the Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 for quad cores, as it has a much better northbridge heatsink.
Overclocking on the M5A97 EVO R2.0 can cause big problems with heat output from the northbridge.
>>
>>53426161
Fx 8350 is still faster but with that heat and power consumption it's just not worth it
>>
>>53426310
>I would put the 8350 with the i3
They must go on different tiers, for mobo/RAM compatibility.
>>
>>53426331
>quad cores
I meant 8 cores. I keep thinking of modules. They're quad cores for gaming.
>>53426342
Okay sure, but I would definitely stress that it's a dual core, and get users to check benchmarks for their use case.
>>
How do you feel about having to redo pretty much the whole list this year when polaris, zen, pascal, 3d x-point, etc comes out?
>>
>>53426367
I re-check and/or redo the entire list every month. Very excited for the new 14/16nm GPUs, and praying that Zen will be good.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (145 KB, 326x618) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
145 KB, 326x618
>>53426364
Got that covered!
>>
>>53426161
Looks like a good change. Hopefully AMD can claw their way back up the chart with zen.
>>53426320
Do you ever worry about creating too much work for yourself? How many hours to you donate to us ungrateful anons as it stands?
>>
>>53426340
>Fx 8350 is still faster but with that heat and power consumption it's just not worth it

no, the skylake i3's have surpassed piledriver chips in even parallel tasks. the only AMD has that can compete now is zen and that's still a year away.
>>
>>53426647
Fx 6300 was as fast as an i3 4170.
No way the i3 6100 can even compete against an fx 8 core in parallel execution.
I5 6600 can but not the i3.
>>
>>53426668

the fx 6300 is a 3 core cpu with cores that are 50% slower than intel's, what's so hard to believe that a modern i3 would beat it with ease?
>>
>>53426320
PSU:
Sounds good, but I think some pointers to sites like jonnyguru and RHTx rather than excerpts.

SSD:
Sounds good too, but with SSDs it's easy to fall into the trap of undecipherable numbers. Try to get something people will understand.

HSF:
Really good ideas

Case:
Cases are a funny one because of their variety. I think colours available, size, style (maybe?), fans inc and spots for, maybe a short line on why you'd pick that specific case over other options.

Remember to make it all normie friendly, above all else.
>>
>>53426960
>Remember to make it all normie friendly, above all else.

I only say this because the top two/three are the most likes to confuse less-literate people.

Godspeed Falcon
>>
>>53426320
Watercooling support for cases
>>
>>53426668
http://i3wins.eu5.org
>>
>>53426161
Support the changes.

Still think you're pushing expensive mobos and PSUs a couple of tiers early when normies would be better off spending it on moar GPU instead.
>>
>>53426753
No he's saying the i3 6100 is faster than the fx 8350.
Also the fx 6300 has 3 floating point units, but 6 integer units so in integer heavy applications (like most games) it's going to function as 6 cores.

But no way an i3 6100 can multithread better then an fx 8350.
>>
AMD's processors were mediocre 3 years ago. The only reason they should be on there at all is because AMD sells them out of the bargin bin
>>
>>53426457
>Do you ever worry about creating too much work for yourself?
I like computers, and reading/learning about computer parts.

>>53426960
I cannot put any links in the popup descriptions, for PSUs.

>Remember to make it all normie friendly, above all else.
I will put it here for criticism, of course! If it is too technical or normie-unfriendly, let me know.

>>53427256
You get less GPU power, but more stability and longevity for the PC as a whole.
>>
>>53427680
I have compared all CPUs in terms of single-threaded and multi-threaded performance, btw. This way, people can choose whatever is best for their typical PC usage.
>>
Any more feedback/comments/suggestions/criticisms?
>>
>>53428923
No news about the laptop section?
>>
>>53428923
Hey Falc, I've been a longtime fan of your site and I've given you anon feedback before. I like what you've done with arranging the tiers by RAM but at this point in time I'm not sure it makes any sense at all to recommend Vishera CPUs in anything that could be labeled "great" tier. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend any FX chips at this point in time and I say this as someone that's owned/owns AMD CPUs and graphics.

It's always been a little annoying to explain to a PC building noob the strengths/weakness of the better multithreaded potential of AMD's CPUs vs the better single threaded performance of intel's processors and how that impacts gaming, but now that skylake is out and Zen is right around the corner, I don't think it makes sense any more to be even suggesting an FX platform especially given how cheap DDR4 is.

99% of the people using these guides are primarily going to be interested in gaming. The people that know that they need strong multithreaded performance for productivity tasks will know if they need an FX series CPU or not. Getting a new builder set up with at least a Z170 board serves them much better for now and in the future for basically the same cost.
>>
>>53426161
>gaymening
>recommending spylake

Boy how you've fallen
>>
>>53429047
The vishera is old enough that nobody should consider it for highly threadded heavy computation either. There was a point where the fx83xx chips were the best bang for the buck for some cheap hadoop clusters, but that was both a short span of time, and a long time ago
>>
>>53429213
You're right. It's just not worth it for anyone anymore.
>>
>>53429023
I need to dedicate a week or two to that, once I finish updating the main desktop guide.
>>
>>53429272
I see thanks.
Because there are atleast 5 "which laptop should i buy for x" threads all time that could be fixed with that but the current list is outdated.
>>
>>53427886
>>Do you ever worry about creating too much work for yourself?
>I like computers, and reading/learning about computer parts.
Doing god's work as always. Stay awesome, falc.

Btw, is there a possibility you could also create lists for itx/small form factor pcs? Atxs sure are cheaper but is kind of a big deal in a small room.
>>
I still like my 8320 .
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.