[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So wait a minute If Mac uses Terminal and UNIX that means....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: terminal.png (485 KB, 982x516) Image search: [Google]
terminal.png
485 KB, 982x516
So wait a minute

If Mac uses Terminal and UNIX that means....

Mac is just a superior version of Linux?
>>
>>53424672
It is a polished "yeaaah don't touch any of this shit behind the scenes" version of linux
>>
File: 1448137989283.png (90 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1448137989283.png
90 KB, 500x501
>>
>>53424672
OS X is a UNIX OS that's got nothing to do with Linux, Linux is UNIX like.
>>
Linux is a freetard implementation of Unix.
The various BSDs are direct derivatives of Unix, and Apple took one at some point in the late 90s and put their own fancy shit on top of it.

Mac is just a superior version of Unix, it has nothing to do with Linux, even if both are posix compliant.
>>
>>53424708
>UNIX like

What does that mean?

Linus plagiarized Unix?
>>
both linux and bsd are rewritten from unix source to avoid copyright infringement. os x is a modified bsd kernal that was selected by next.

apple and next went with bsd because the license of bsd allows developers to make the code proprietary thus enabling them to hide their backdoors without security audits of the code by the public domain.

superior ayylmfao
>>
>>53424764
It means it's not based on UNIX but designed to be functionally similar
>>
>>53424764
The userland is somewhat similar but the underlying framework is quite different.
>>
>>53424672
Basically yes
>>
>>53424767
Apple said they dont have backdoors so its ok
>>
OSX is certified UNIX. Technically the BSDs and GNU/Linux could be as well but you have to pay for a license to use the UNIX name and no one gives a fuck anymore, except Apple.
>>
>>53424928
You mean Apple's the only one you know of who cares
>>
>>53424672
>>
>>53424672
>proprietary components + walled garden
>superior
>>
>>53424953
>walled garden
That's iOS dipshit
>>
>>53424938
Well HP has HP-UX and IBM has AIX, those are also certified UNIX. They acquired legit UNIX licenses from AT&T way back when. There's more of them but most of the certified Unices are getting replaced with some version of gnu/linux because companies just want to outsource all their OS development.
>>
>>53424928
>GNU/Linux could be
No, while the Open Group has been pretty fast and loose with certification, the only distribution I ever recall being UNIX certified was Red Hat, which I don't think it still is. GNU/Linux is a totally different animal on nearly every level that happens to share a lot in common with other POSIX systems, where BSD is actually directly descended from UNIX code.
>>
>>53424928
there is a Certified Unix Linux Distro based off of CentOS.
>>
>>53424995
Yeah I have never heard of this one before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspur_K-UX
>>
>>53424695
More like a, "you don't really have to touch any of this shit behind the scenes if you can't be arsed to, but it's there if you get this itch".

Linux itself is like, "Something WILL eventually fuck up and when it does you're gonna have to get chummy with the terminal whether you like it or not."
>>
>>53424995
>>53425021
Interesting.

I don't think Inspur even sells hardware in the US, or really a lot in general, I recall most of their gear being niche shit like ultra high-end Itanium systems.
>>
>>53425022
>Something WILL eventually fuck up
Just like on OS X.
>>
>>53425074
You seem to have missed his point.
>>
SAVE US BASED SCAT MAN
>>
>>53425089
What is his point then?
>>
>>53425022
???
why do anti-Linux shills still think it's 2004, why can't you just man up and say you don't like it and fucking move on with your life
>>
>>53425144
>Something WILL eventually fuck up and when it does you're gonna have to get chummy with the terminal whether you like it or not.
Notice how you cut off the second part of his sentence, you know, the part that does have the point.
>>
>>53425162
In OSX, if something fucks up, you're just fucked. I think that's substantially better.
>>
>>53425187
Except that's wrong dipshit
>>
OS X still use hfs+ and has some half-assed zfs support

Linux supports literally fucking everything

OS X has one scheduler

Linux has four+
>>
>>53425198
>OS X still use hfs+ and has some half-assed zfs support
Blame Oracle.
>>
File: tumblr_ntj9q85yLS1uxjl21o1_500.jpg (121 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntj9q85yLS1uxjl21o1_500.jpg
121 KB, 500x750
>>53425195
No it's not. And OSX is highly restrictive, and reports on you to the NSA. What benefits do you get out of it that you don't get out of Linux?
>>
>>53424764
Unix-like usually referes to OS's which are in partial compliance with the UNIX standard. Linux falls into this category.

To my knowledge OSX, being a derivative of BSD, is unix compliant.
>>
File: desktop_bwk_2015.png (152 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
desktop_bwk_2015.png
152 KB, 1366x768
Oh hey look, it's the inventor of C and a lot of Unix. Note the OS.
>>
>>53424672
OS X is the inferior version, you just assume it's better because you have to pay for it. In Linux world none of the brainfarts would never get popular, like case-insensitive filesystem that corrupts your case-sensitive files into case-insensitivity.

With Linux everything that's working and great get most users, so it evolves fast. If something doesn't work you just abandon the non-working part and switch to a better one. This progress happens all the time and the most polished distros are now already awesome. They also get better because they don't want to lose users for being the worst option.
>>
>>53425255
>case-insensitive filesystem that corrupts your case-sensitive files into case-insensitivity.
That has nothing to do with UNIX and it's actually a legacy feature from Classic Mac OS.
>>
File: ballmer wets himself.jpg (37 KB, 400x370) Image search: [Google]
ballmer wets himself.jpg
37 KB, 400x370
>>53425255
This also triggers the living hell out of winfags since they're used to their same shitty half-baked binaries from 1987 running unmodified on the host OS instead of just using an emulator or a VM.
>>
>>53425216
Well the modern BSDs derived from 4.4BSD-lite aren't UNIX. CSRG rewrote the entire OS with the explict goal of making their OS available to anyone without having to pay AT&T.
>>
>>53425223
it's almost like using a certain operating system doesn't make someone dumb
>>
More like an usable version of GNU Hurd. Both use the same microkernel.
>>
>>53425903
You high?
>>
On Linux nobody makes an effort to be friendly but all the functionality is there for you to use.
Apple keeps the same functionality there for you to use as you wish, but it provides friendliness out of the box. It gets out of your way when you want it to.
Windows assumes you're stupid and locks you in in so many places, hell, even the UI messages are condescending.
>>
>>53425958
No, he's not. Darwin (OS X) and the GNU Hurd are both built on top of Mach.
>>
>>53426024
>>53425903
they have the same name but they are not the same kernel.
>>
>>53426024
Huh, didn't know Hurd used Mach
>>
>>53426024
It's far more appropriate to say XNU and Hurd are both based on Mach, and even so XNU is based on Mach 3.0 while Hurd is based on GNU Mach, and that's where the similarities end.
>>
>>53424672
his logic is undeniable folks
>>
File: file.png (731 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
731 KB, 1920x1080
>>53424672
whole folder very related
>>
>Open Source
>>
>>53426571
And an OS to match the folder
>>
>>53424920
The worst part is that there is people who actually believe this.
>>
>>53426641
GNU/Linux ?
or are you referring to the desktop environment? because they're really not the same thing, you know, right?
>>
>>53424695
confirmed for not knowing what you're talking about
>>
>>53425211
wow you went full NEET on this one
>>
>>53425216
Close, but UNIX® is just the trademark, held by The Open Group: http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix.html
>As the owner of the UNIX trademark, The Open Group has separated the UNIX trademark from any actual code stream itself, thus allowing multiple implementations.

The original operating system is called Unix, and similar operating systems are called Unix-like.

Note that, despite being UNIX®, the OS X kernel itself is called XNU, which stand for X is Not Unix.
>>
>>53425198
Reminder that zfs in Linux kernel is a violation of gpl
>>
File: sweetntasty.jpg (38 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
sweetntasty.jpg
38 KB, 500x333
OSX is Linux that you can work with
Linux in it's current state is a server OS/timesink multimedia OS that you cant do real work on
t. someone who has to install Windows back to do actual work
>>
>>53427720
>pretending your videogames are work
Cease friend.
>>
>>53427747
I only play two video games and both of them are on Linux
The problem is I can't use Unity3D to finish up some projects on linux
I have to either a) install virtualbox and run on it or b) dick around with wine for shitload of time to make it work
Neither option is efficient
Linux needs actual software support for it to be worth it, not just video games like most of /g/ seems to think. Not surprised though, because most of /g/ is underage or neets only to discuss ricing and video games
>>
>>53425022
>Linux itself is like, "Something WILL eventually fuck up and when it does you're gonna have to get chummy with the terminal whether you like it or not."

Are you employed, educated, or have recently passed any tests that test your intellectual.
>You're mentally challenged.
>>
>>53427720
>Gay retard.
>>
>>53424672
short answer: yes

long answer: of course it is.
>>
>>53427797
>I have to either a) install virtualbox and run on it or b) dick around with wine for shitload of time to make it work
>Neither option is efficient

Virtualbox might not seem efficient, but it doesn't make programs any less stable. If your computer can handle it, it should be considered as an option.

Virtualbox should have a seamless mode too, so the OS underneath disappears from sight and you get the program to look like it's running in your main OS. That way it's not even a burden aesthetically.
>>
>>53427931
Having i5 4690k and only 8gb of ram at the moment that's not quite viable in my opinion
I also hate the available drivers for my r9 380 on linux. Thank god thats about to get fixed (hopefully)
But when it comes to the point where I need to run half my programs in virtualbox, also comes the question "is it worth using linux at this point"
>>
File: 7af.png (253 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
7af.png
253 KB, 680x383
>>53427720
>Being this gay in a non-sarcastic manner
>>
>>53428170
>>53427831
>cant prove someone wrong
>call them gay
For a second I forgot that freetards are just memespouters
>>
No, it means OP is a faggot
>>
File: jCaqXom.jpg (16 KB, 480x318) Image search: [Google]
jCaqXom.jpg
16 KB, 480x318
>>53424672
>normies buy apple mac for $700 because it doesnt get viruses due to running on unix.

>They could have spend $5 on a ubuntu cd and had the same effect.
>>
Well it depends.

I like both OS X and linux. For different reasons.

OSX has neat shit, cool little things. For me it doesn't require much customising, already looks good enough. Some shit just literally works.

But, considering I have a PC I feel as though my system is not detected correctly. I have to use a system definition that's "close" but not quite the same as my hardware, if I want to play any native game that's not something that runs on any laptop it's going to be fairly slower than the native version on linux and I don't know whether it is because that gnu which is supposed to be supported out of the box (280x) is really working right or just being stupid because my hackintosh is detecting it like pic related.

See, linux knows all of my hardware just right. That's the thing. I can't blink faster than it takes to open up libreoffice write, where it takes like 7 fucking seconds to open on OSX. I even enabled TRIM on my SSD and the system performs as if I'm using a hard drive. On linux everything is too fast to handle. CS:GO? can't reach 60fps in OSX and it looks like it doesn't know what antialiasing is. ~150FPS on linux at max settings, looking good.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.