[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
stop buying SSD's! new Optane (3D X-Point) 1000x faster
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: imft-3dxpoint.png (484 KB, 848x459) Image search: [Google]
imft-3dxpoint.png
484 KB, 848x459
stop buying SSD's!
new Optane (3D X-Point) 1000x faster than NAND, 1000x more durable, 10x than D-RAM!
products to be released this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWsjbqbkqh8
>>
>>53424665
>products to be released this year.
You mean in 10 years.

>an error has occurred
Best video ever.
>>
talks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LG4eh3Z11A
>>
>>53424700
it's already been in development for ten years. Intel/Micron announced release THIS YEAR
>>
>>53424665
>10 cents has been deposited into your account
>>
There's going to be a whole new socket and CPU arch for this.
>>
>>53424765
i wish i could get a paying gig with intel or micron.
i'm just itching for faster fucking computers
next gen would probably manipulating photons. beyond that, who knows. some 6th dimensions shit prolly
>>
>watch demo from another event
>always claim 1000X FASTER FASTER FASTER
>in the demo benchmark it's like 5-7x faster
>NOT SO FUCKING FAST NOW EH
>>
>2015
>no products and it's 2016

You won't see products until like 2020
>>
>>53424665

God, that video was unwatchable. It was 50% completely irrelevant bullshit basically explaining what speed *is*, then by the time it got around to any vaguely technical explanation, I was already checked out.

Who is the target market for that video? Grandparents looking to invest?
>>
>>53424665
>Claims dram is 1500 times faster than nand
>Claims 3d xpoint is up to* 1000 times faster than nand
Last time I checked, 1500 was bigger than 1000. Your claim that this is faster than dram doesn't hold water even by the shill videos hyperbolic standards.
>>53424813
Also this.
>>
>>53424838
The main thing I picked up is that DRAM is still 500 times faster.
>>
>>53424861
The point is that HPC applications could use this stuff as a faster and cheaper alternative to SSDs or spinning hard drives

This tech is a boon for big data applications but the average consumer will have absolutely no need for it.
>>
>>53424665
>Needs a new CPUS
>Completely proprietary, Intel and Micron are the only ones who make it
>Likely to be Intel exclusive
I smell the second coming of rambus. Now Intel just ends a pentium 4 to go with it.
>>53424892
>and cheaper
You really think this will be cheaper than an SSD? It's marketed as cheaper than RAM, which is not exactly great if you want more than 128GB.
>>
File: 1455127137986.png (443 KB, 475x599) Image search: [Google]
1455127137986.png
443 KB, 475x599
>>53424940
>You really think this will be cheaper than an SSD? It's marketed as cheaper than RAM, which is not exactly great if you want more than 128GB.

The process is cheaper at large scale. There's no memory controller to fuck with since it's all directly addressable directly by the CPU. And I can guarantee a licensing option from Intel and Micron.

The whole process of moving both IHVs and ISVs to back this however would be really difficult though unless there's a significant advantage for at least a few big names like Amazon and IBM and other big cloud vendors.

I see it being possible but they're going to need a lot of greased hands and decent tech demos.
>>
>>53425506
>The process is cheaper at large scale.
Do you have any source for that at all?
>There's no memory controller to fuck with since it's all directly addressable directly by the CPU.
Yeah, because it needs a special CPU. I think that kinda sorta obliterates the lack of a separate memory controller.
>And I can guarantee a licensing option from Intel and Micron.
Just like rambus! Awesome!
>I see it being possible but they're going to need a lot of greased hands and decent tech demos.
Intel are producing ordinary SSDs with this as well, I see the DIMMs flopping wonderfully and this just being another curiosity on the market, not unlike the 3d vnand.
>>
>>53424665
You mean now is the best time to buy SSDs with a new, overpriced meme to be released
>>
>Believing Intel will sell anything cheap

Don't fall for it
>>
>>53424665
The only good thing is that it will lower NAND flash prices.
>>
>>53425708
Intel aren't known for producing cheap things, on any front. This probably won't have any impact on SSD prices, your hope is better directed at the likes of Samsung and Crucial.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.