[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to interview for entry level IT job >have comptia a+,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1457584300448.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1457584300448.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>go to interview for entry level IT job
>have comptia a+, net+, security+ certs and bachelors in CS
>interviewer asks me questions on outdated hardware
>"what is the speed of DDR2 RAM?"
>"What does SCSI mean?"
>"What is the maximum length a USB cable can be?"

"I'm sorry, but you don't seem to fit with the rest of our team."
>>
>>53423569

They either still use that stuff or you weren't going to get hired even if you answered those questions correctly.
>>
>>53423569
Honestly, IT is a braindead simple profession.
You're not an engineer.
You don't even have to be creative.
You just fix and troubleshoot things other people have built.

You don't even have to think, it's all rote memorization.
What's a link local address?
What does SCSI stand for?

For fucks sake dude, if you can't even accomplish the bare minimum of what is expected of you, I don't know how the fuck you ever expect to get hired doing the literal janitorial work of the 21st century.
>>
>"What is the internal clock speed and bus length of motherboard model SUKDIK-6969 from 2003?"

BAAP SORRY WRONG ANSWER THE DOOR IS OVER THERE.
>>
>>53423627
You've just described 99.99% of STEM careers
>>
File: brRXjvj.jpg (100 KB, 960x954) Image search: [Google]
brRXjvj.jpg
100 KB, 960x954
>>53423569
They weren't giving you a fair shot. Go elsewhere even if they hired you they would have promoted their friends even if you outperformed them. Key phrase "fit." If possible try to be interviewed at a friend's company you are more likely to "fit" there.

Memorize SCSI and the USB cable questions. The RAM question can always be looked up.

BTW where is that image from?
>>
>>53423569
none of that shit even matters I was asked fucking linux commands and I gave very simple ones and they fucking grilled me because I said I used fucking gentoo. I can't remember fucking EVERYTHING. God damn. Some faggot asked me about how you'd explain defragging and I fucking made some bullshit up cause Im a retard that forgets everything. They also asked if I could explain tieing my shoe to someone that has never done it before. The fuck? I tried my best and got a pat on my back "YOUS GOTA A GUD TECH HEAD" mean while I'm almost fucking 30yrs old. Fucking kill me.
>>
>>53424400
Did you get the job?
>>
>>53424474
no.
>>
>>53424400
They grilled you because they didn't recognize your operating system or because they thought you're a hobbyist loser?
>>
File: 8z2YbAY.jpg (24 KB, 480x478) Image search: [Google]
8z2YbAY.jpg
24 KB, 480x478
>>53424479
Sorry bro.

Advice for iterviews, get a recruiter to find you a job (Google them, they are awesome), dress well, smell well, have a haircut, and find common ground. If you both like the same sport, or D & D and talk about it in the interview, you just made a new friend and got a job.
>>
>>53424400
>making shit up in an interview
>can't describe the process of tying a shoe

Why are you even trying to do an IT job? How do you expect to get anything accomplished if you can't do things you would literally have to do every day? You will have to break everything down into describable parts and convey that to other people. You're not working on some sit-alone-at-my-computer job.
>>
>>53424496
Probably a hobbyist loser even though they specifically said in the application you didn't need to be a fucking genius linux pro to work the entry level positions. They wanted me to remember some long ass commands for gentoo specific. Which I'm not going to remember.
>>
>>53424538
>making shit up in an interview
I drew a blank on something that was simple as fuck.

>can't describe the process of tying a shoe
You are right however I've never dealt with explaining to people on how to tie a fucking shoe. I did explain it and I thought I did alright a bit autistic but alright. Plus don't most of those tech support jobs have a protocol that you must do and training?
>>
>>53424572

It's a lot better to just say you don't know or you don't remember. They obviously know the process of defragging, and its just going to make you look like an idiot if you bullshit it.

Sure. There's probably training. But you don't hire someone that can't perform even the most basic tasks of the job do you? They should at least have some idea of what they're supposed to do.
>>
>>53424623
I didn't say they were wrong in that. I just said I fucked it up. However the job was entry level and again application said you didn't need to know shit really.
>>
>>53423569
These are all simple question that I know even my job has nothing to do with IT.
Am i doing something wrong here?
>>
Last IT support job I went to we ended up chatting shit for over two hours, they asked me situational questions like describe a major problem you once encountered and how you resolved it.

I had never come across questions like that before so that was scary, they also gave me a test, about 10 pages of basic shit
>what is d-sub
>is RAID a good back up solution
>how would you troubleshoot a workstation that is X

They started doing dummy support phone calls after I started so thankfully I missed out on that but some of the applicants really show how little of a clue they have when they're asked to troubleshoot something over the phone
>>
>>53423569
Nohr > hoshitdon't
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.