[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've had an iPhone ever since I had my first smartphone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: s7.jpg (114 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
s7.jpg
114 KB, 1200x900
I've had an iPhone ever since I had my first smartphone (iPhone 3G) and tomorrow I'm going to pick up the s7, I've researched into it a lot and I'm not looking for a review or android manual I just want to know some of the lesser known tips and tricks that android users love and find helpful, and hopefully some input from someone who was once in my position. thanks in advance guys
>>
>>53423157
One of the neatest tricks I learned was using Google you fucking mongol
>>
Clover is the best app for browsing 4chan
Make sure when you save your contacts there save under a google account so there backed up.
Enjoy the master race brother
>>
>>53423176
nigger, I want first hand input not some faggot with a youtube account
>>
Learn to do some of the developer options, add a different launcher, root
>>
>>53423191
>>53423211
thanks will look into it
>>
>>53423235
Ohh almost forgot, pushbullet is amazing for texting on all other platforms, it'll blow your socks off.

Also PocketCasts if you're into podcasts
>>
Did you go with the edge or normal one?
>>
>>53423157
It actually looks pretty portable on the pic. Wonder if I should get it and get raped by TouchJizz or jumping on the homo train and get an 5SE.
>>
>>53423267
I'm going to go with the normal size one, I have a iPhone 5s now and the screen sizes are similar but the s7 is slightly bigger, I have a hard time grasping the need for a massive phone screen. I like to be able to use it with one hand
>>
>>53423288
>>53423288
I've heard that the useless stock apps that come with samsung phones tends to make it somewhat buggy or laggy, any truth to this ?
>>
>>53423235
Don't root until your warranty runs out.

You'll regret it deeply.
>>
>>53423323
Not at start but over time yes, so if you want to use the hardware better and save some space, it's necessary to get rid of the bloat. Didn't use Samsung in a while but you'll probably need to root it for that.

Currently on Sony but if I had to pick another android phone, it'd be S7 edge for sure.
>>
File: 1457525866499.gif (944 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
1457525866499.gif
944 KB, 540x304
>>53423298
Grit your teeth and get ready for an ass fucking when it comes to Samsung Touchwizz. It is laggy garbage that runs terribly even on high end speced phones. They claim they "fixed" it and People are claiming it is better but I still think not.
As for advice I'd give you
>do not use the "internet browser" app that comes with the phone. If you're OK with being spied on all the time, Google Chrome will be fine.
>otherwise get firefox. Addons I recommend are ad-block, HTTPSeverywhere, and cleanquit.
>make sure bluetooth, wifi, and GPS are off when not in use. They'll kill your battery very fast.
>for max battery life, turn off app sync/contact syncing features. Constant updates are nice, but they kill battery life quickly.
>also turn off the auto-brightening feature for screen brightness. Find the brightness setting you're comfortable with and just manually set it. I personally have 3 modes. Lit room, in the car, laying in bed. 50%, 25%, 0% brightness.
>apps worth a damn are Textra, SwiftKey keyboard, Nova launcher ($3? For the pro version which I recommend), SD-maid ($2 for pro version I think. Also recommended).

That's about it really. What made you switch any how? Usually iPhone users are so caught up in their eco-system they never contemplate coming to Android.
>>
File: nerve endings.jpg (69 KB, 569x720) Image search: [Google]
nerve endings.jpg
69 KB, 569x720
>>53423400
thanks for all the info, I mainly want to switch because I'm just bored with the iPhone, it gets tiring looking at the same setup and home screen for the last 6 years. Expandable memory (up to 200gb on the s7) really sold it for me, considering the amount of music I listen to and pictures I take, My contract just happens to be up and the phone drops tomorrow so I figured why not. If I was on verizon I would go with the newest droid due to the durability factor but the waterproof feature on the s7 is equally admirable
>>
>>53423191
Clover was taken off the Play Store, but since it's on Android you can download it from any other source.
>>
>>53423191

fortune for ios jailbreak is pretty good, not as good as clover. Use it on my iPad.
>>
>>53423323
You can either root the phone to take off any core apps that come with the phone or simply disable them.
>>
>>53423359
Why? U can always unroot the phone.
>>
>>53423570
Rooting Samsung trips KNOX counter 90% of the time. When KNOX is tripped, no more OTA updates. Thats why rooting Samsung shit isn't worth it until after.
>>
>>53423663
Damn it, i didnt know that was an issue with Samsung phones. I already pre-ordered the S7. Comes with a free watch at Verizon.
>>
If you really care about using open source apps, look into downloading fdroid.

If you want pirate the popular stuff, look into aptoide. Be warned of possible fakes and virus here.

Neither requires rooting to install or use. The apps you download from them may
>>
File: file.png (305 KB, 322x499) Image search: [Google]
file.png
305 KB, 322x499
>>
File: Screenshot_20160311-004326.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160311-004326.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>Not buying a Nexus 6P

You're doing it wrong
>>
>>53426244
Is the 6P still worth buying over the S7/edge?
Why not wait till the next nexus drops?
>>
>>53426330

The Nexus 6P is probably the pinnacle of Android

Don't see how you can top it.

Also, Samsung is shit
>>
I'll never ever upgrade from my nexus 7 at this rate
>>
>>53426409

>pinnacle of Android
>Android is a mobile device operating system
>the Nexus 6P is a smartphone
>they're two entirely different things

You kids, always fucking everything up.
>>
>>53423191

Not OP, but is Clover even safe? All it takes is one dumb ass user to upload something illegal and now it's in your phone's cache.
>>
>>53426424
Delete your cache then
>>
>>53423157
Why don't you get a real Android aka a Nexus?
>>
>>53426420

Are you autistic?

You know what I meant.
>>
Biggest thing you can do is look into other launchers. Nova is the biggest one you see around /g/, followed by Apex.
It's all personal taste though. I prefer Smart launcher, so just read up / watch a couple "Top 10" articles or something.

Also worth looking into Top 10's for other apps, like music players, keyboards, texting platforms, etc.
Start lurking Homescreen threads - and congratulations, you can finally start contributing to them.

>>53423247
AirDroid > PushBullet, but still great.

>>53426330
Nexus is the official Google phone, and thus the least modified, least bloated version of the Android OS. Also tends to run smoothly, gets updates the fastest, and is "as Google intended."
If you want just about any flaghship phone other than Nexus, you're getting it for the hardware, generally speaking.
>>
>>53426605
> Smart launcher
My nigga.

>AirDroid > PushBullet
How comes? I use free version and mainly to push files around, what makes AirDroid better?
>>
>>53426692
A lot of similar features, but AirDroid has a number of extra features to manage your phone that Pushbullet doesn't (or didn't by the last time I checked).
Not quite as user friendly though. Some features are paid, like PushBullet, but it hasn't really restricted any key features that I've tried using, so I've been fine with the free version.

Really comes down to how you use them.
PushBullet is better designed and nicer if you use it frequently, but AirDroid is almost more of a phone management suite.
Doesn't hurt to try it, I guess.
I use http://web.airdroid.com/ instead of the desktop client, mostly because I don't like installing things on my computer.
>>
Despite what this thread is saying, you're going to get the best smartphone available period. I don't know about iPhones but I'd say you're upgrading now. It goes S7 > S6/Note 5 > Nexus 6P > the rest
>>
>>53426811
>I don't like installing things on my computer.
Same here and gave it a try ... seems worlds ahead of Pushbullet. Thank you, anon.
>>
>>53426881
Why would a S6 be better than a Nexus 6P?
Or a S7 for that matter...
>>
>>53423400
>textra
Based/10
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.